Turn on thread page Beta

Has anyone here actually fell for a Ebay scam? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    In fairness, he got it right in the post.
    Surely 'I would have had to wait' would be more felicitous? It's not 'wrong', granted, but it is (rather an absurd) tautology.

(Original post by nuodai)
    My nitpickiness has did gotted the better of me
    My rejoinder would probably have had to have been that the former implies the latter. So to speak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Procrastinator)
    I nearly went for the same thing!!! I was going to buy an Xbox 360 and asked a question about it in the forum bit and they were like NOOOOOO it's a picture!! HAHA wtf are they selling pictures of it for? :o:
    Because any sufficiently cunning ruse on eBay is effectively a licence to print money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Surely 'I would have had to wait' would be more felicitous? It's not 'wrong', granted, but it is (rather an absurd) tautology.

My rejoinder would probably have had to have been that the former implies the latter. So to speak.
    No no I mean the tense error.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    No no I mean the tense error.
    Present-perfect incorporates the past-participle - they're concomitant. 'Fallen' implies present-perfect; 'fell' implies preterite (which would be wrong).

Edit: Unless I'm very much mistaken.

ReputationRep:
    Because any sufficiently cunning ruse on eBay is effectively a licence to print money.
    Haha I know. I was trying to put across that I was embarrased but angry...if you understand me

ReputationRep:
    Present-perfect incorporates the past-participle - they're concomitant.
    "Has anyone ever fallen for them?" in his first post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    "Has anyone ever fallen for them?" in his first post.
    Ah, I see. My comments were actually in reference to the title:

Has anyone here actually fell for a Ebay scam?
    And subsequently to nuodai's solecism (which he retracted). Sorry for any confusion.

Edit: On reflection, he seems to have omitted an 'n' also.

ReputationRep:
    *fallen [Present-perfect tense.]

And no, I haven't.

What makes you so sure that you wouldn't have had to have had to have had to have had to have had to wait?
    Thanks, Bro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    he got it right in the post
    Oh, I see what you meant now; apparently I'd neglected to read the first post in its entirety. Comprehension fail(ure) on my part.

ReputationRep:
    I bought a copy of the first Sims on eBay a while back, but didn't read the small print that it would arrive without a case (was sent with a scan of the boxart in one of those dividers in the CD holder folder things you buy) and it was in Thai. Was my fault though because I didn't properly read it (and I couldn't have been much older than 10 at the time).

:nope:

ReputationRep:
    I rarely ever use, and dislike using paypal. Sure there are thousands of people/transactions that have no problems, but then there are the scammers, and this:

http://www.paypalsucks.com/newforums/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsystoleUK)
    I rarely ever use, and dislike using paypal. Sure there are thousands of people/transactions that have no problems, but then there are the scammers, and this:

http://www.paypalsucks.com/newforums/
    Hello you! Haha, forgot you used this

ReputationRep:
    I've never been ebay scammed, but then again I only made my account a few days ago XD

I was sent a very authentic looking email from "natwest" asking me to confim my account details - even though I'm with HSBC XD
    I got a similar one from paypal, which told me to click a link. Would have probably fallen for it if it wasnt for the email's appaling spelling mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I see what you meant now; apparently I'd neglected to read the first post in its entirety. Comprehension fail(ure) on my part.
    No worries. As much as I'm a watered-down version of you, I thought it only fair to point out that he did know the correct form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryBakewell)
    I'm too scared to use ebay haha
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    yeah once there was this man on ebay selling winning nigerian lottery tickets, the only reason he was sellin it was bcause the government told him he wasnt allowed to claim it , as he was over 25years old, yeah so i purchased the ticket for 86USD and free P&P , but it hasnt arrived yet, and the seller has stopped responding to me, paypal said its my own fault

ReputationRep:
    ******* nigerians , piss me off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosaaa)
    Hahaha I think you deserve that :p:

me too, you have to be a bit guillable to fall for that one :o: :p: No offence meant to the OP though, I just find it quite funny! It;s the kind of thing my sister would do, bless her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hairychimpanzee)
    yeah once there was this man on ebay selling winning nigerian lottery tickets, the only reason he was sellin it was bcause the government told him he wasnt allowed to claim it , as he was over 25years old, yeah so i purchased the ticket for 86USD and free P&P , but it hasnt arrived yet, and the seller has stopped responding to me, paypal said its my own fault
    :no:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.