Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cheapest possible train tickets for uni. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting uni from September. I will be residing at home and travelling by train every time I have lessons/lectures. However, a train journey to and back from uni costs £5.00 per-day by using the oyster card.

I was wondering whether anyone knows if I could somehow save on the fares?

If it's of any help, I will be using the London Underground.

ReputationRep:
    get an 18+/student oyster card

and then load a week travel card unto it - it might save u sum money
    check it out to see if u'll make any savings

16-25 railcard will get you a third off most railfares in the UK. If you take it to a tube station they will lower your daily cap from £5 or so to £3.40. The railcard costs £26.

There's also an 18+ student Oyster card but I don't know much about that.

ReputationRep:
    Get a monthly travel card?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    16-25 railcard will get you a third off most railfares in the UK. If you take it to a tube station they will lower your daily cap from £5 or so to £3.40. The railcard costs £26.

There's also an 18+ student Oyster card but I don't know much about that.
    Is the payment of £26 for the railcard one-off? Where do I buy it from? I'm guessing I need to take some form of ID, right?

(Original post by Mr Advice)
    Is the payment of £26 for the railcard one-off? Where do I buy it from? I'm guessing I need to take some form of ID, right?
    It's £26 for one year, you need a passport photo and your passport or driving license. You can get it from any staffed railway station.

ReputationRep:
    About the railcard, I didn't think you could use it at peak times? So if you have morning lectures would there be any point?

I might be wrong, it might be different in London.

ReputationRep:
    It's £26 for one year, you need a passport photo and your passport or driving license. You can get it from any staffed railway station.
    Cool. Will I be able to use it for the London Underground, as I won't be using the railways?

So, say a journey on the train cost £2.50, how much will I save?

Cheers for this info. Appreciate it.

Cool. Will I be able to use it for the London Underground, as I won't be using the railways?

So, say a journey on the train cost £2.50, how much will I save?

Cheers for this info. Appreciate it.
    As I explained it saves 1/3 off rail fares (so overground rail) but it also means you get a cap put on your oyster card of around £3.40 instead of the normal £5 so if you buy day travelcards or travel alot by tube it's worth the investment.

ReputationRep:
    As I explained it saves 1/3 off rail fares (so overground rail) but it also means you get a cap put on your oyster card of around £3.40 instead of the normal £5 so if you buy day travelcards or travel alot by tube it's worth the investment.
    But aren't the oyster card and railcard two different things? :confused: :o:

But aren't the oyster card and railcard two different things? :confused: :o:
    Yes that's why you need to go to a tube station once you have the 16-25 railcard and ask for the cap to be put on your Oyster card.

ReputationRep:
    Yes that's why you need to go to a tube station once you have the 16-25 railcard and ask for the cap to be put on your Oyster card.
    Oh, I see.

So, to clarify:

- I buy the railcard from a railway station.
    - After buying it, I take my oyster card to a tube station and request a cap to be put on my oyster card.

And do I need to carry the 16-25 railcard with me?

Oh, I see.

So, to clarify:

- I buy the railcard from a railway station.
    - After buying it, I take my oyster card to a tube station and request a cap to be put on my oyster card.

And do I need to carry the 16-25 railcard with me?
    Yes to all of the questions.

Also try and find out about a Student Oystercard because I think this might be a better option but I dont know anything about it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes to all of the questions.

Also try and find out about a Student Oystercard because I think this might be a better option but I dont know anything about it.
    Yeah, I'll do that.

Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    if your with natwest you can get the railcard for free

ReputationRep:
    As well as BR fares being restricted to outwith peak times, I *think* (but don't quote me) the reduced rate cap is only outwith peak times too.

You will need to carry the YPR with you at all times as without it your Oyster is technically invalid (it will go through gates alright, but if you get a snotty gripper...).

ReputationRep:
    Here's a link for reading about the 18+/Student Oyster Card...

ReputationRep:
    If using british rail then young persons railcard only works off peak which will apply until about 9:30am ish I think.

I'm not sure why you haven't just looked at the oyster website, it would have been quicker.

This link shows info on price capping for if you have a young persons travel card and oyster card and are using the tube.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresa...ares/6769.aspx

There is an 18+/student oyster card (as already mentioned) but according to their website this will only be available from the start of September.

Look at the oyster website, it's probably going to give you more accurate and up to date information than students on tsr.

PS I'm too slow

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.