Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'd appreciate some advice on this situation because at the moment I feel a bit **** about it.

I met a guy this summer who I've been talking to a lot ever since. He's a bit frivolous and paid for us both to go away and stay in a swanky hotel for 2 days about 2 weeks ago, despite us not having known eachother for long. I've been kind of interested in him and when we went away, he made a move so we know we're both interested. We stayed up the entire night just hugging and then in the morning we kissed, but nothing was made official. To me, though, it seemed like the next time we met something would be made official and we decided to go away again for a few days in about a week's time. I haven't seen him since, because I went to France for a week and now he's away too. Earlier, despite being away, he came on msn and I initiated a conversation because I've missed him, and he said he would miss me. So we got talking, and he said "a girl asked for my number earlier, but I said no because she's american". Jokingly, we always ask if people are hot or dogs when in reality we aren't judgmental about looks, so I said "was she a dog?", he went "she's quite hot actually, but nah mate". I really shouldn't be bothered about this comment because he didn't take her number, but it REALLY bothered me because I have been nothing but respectful to him and it feels now like he just used me and he doesn't like me at all, despite how close we were that weekend, how much we've been talking and how much it looked like we had strong, mutual feelings for eachother.

To top it off, when I went to France, I met a guy who came with the group I went with and we really hit it off. I looked at him as just a friend but I know if I didn't want something to happen with this other guy that I'd really like him. He's good looking, fun and really sweet and everyone said he liked me and respected me, and that they wanted me to go for it. We spent the last night together at the party and it was just so much fun, but I just kept thinking about the other guy, and in a way it made me want to be with him, because I knew that if I sacrificed this guy who would usually be everything I looked for in a potential boyfriend, that I must really want to be with the other guy. Then I come back today and find out how little he thinks of me. I don't know whether I'm right or not, but the way he said she was hot but he didn't want her number (which came across as being only because she lived in a different country so it wouldn't be feasible) makes me feel like I'm not respected by him and everything he said he felt about me was a lie.

What should I do? I'm going to go away with him still I think, but I don't know what will happen and I don't want to get hurt. Was I overreacting about that comment he made? Was it some sort of weird guy thing to make me jealous, or try to play hard to get? Help!

ReputationRep:
    I guess you two aren't officially together so I wouldn't get too bothered by it. Maybe he was trying to make you a tiny bit jealous? Which it seems he did. Also, at least he was honest. I mean you haven't exactly told him about the guy you met in France have you?

If he didn't like you then he wouldn't offer to take you away. And it doesn't seem like he just wants sex, seeing as you haven't slept with him yet anyway (I'm assuming you haven't?)

I say go on this trip and see how things go, don't get bogged down with labeling what you have between you. Just have fun and see where things go.

(Original post by randomgirl)
    I guess you two aren't officially together so I wouldn't get too bothered by it. Maybe he was trying to make you a tiny bit jealous? Which it seems he did. Also, at least he was honest. I mean you haven't exactly told him about the guy you met in France have you?

If he didn't like you then he wouldn't offer to take you away. And it doesn't seem like he just wants sex, seeing as you haven't slept with him yet anyway (I'm assuming you haven't?)

I say go on this trip and see how things go, don't get bogged down with labeling what you have between you. Just have fun and see where things go.
    I did tell him about the guy in France and how he liked me when he was asking about the party and people I met, he just laughed it off (as much as you can over the internet). I'm not one to "pull" guys if they're not potentially going to be in a relationship with me, and I don't want sex, I'm a virgin and I plan to remain that way until I feel comfortable with the guy I'm going to sleep with. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with doing stuff with guys you're not in a relationship with, but it's just not something I'd do because I know it would hurt me, because if I liked them and they saw me as just a fling then I'd be destroyed, I'm hurt enough already. I wanted to ask if he saw it as more than a fling when we next saw eachother but I don't know if I should now. I should stop getting attached to people so much.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.