Turn on thread page Beta

Would TSR help out a homeless member? watch

• View Poll Results: Would you help out?
    Yes, as much as I could give
    21.54%
    "Lolz no"
    78.46%

ReputationRep:
    I was just on another forum browsing and came across this thread with this guy ending up homeless with only £50. He literally had nothing but the luck of finding an Library to make a thread and write about his day.

In a little over 24 hours, he comes to the thread and finds out that the community have come up with over $700 in donations put into a paypal account waiting for him. He was tearful at the generosity.

Do you think TSR is able to match such kindness? Or would we just respond with "Lolz" in kind to a persons agony? Would you donate?

ReputationRep:
    Tbh i'd probably be pessimistic and think he's lying. :/

ReputationRep:
    well if someone ends up in the same situation by coincidence i'd think they got the idea from this.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Depends on the user; I expect with a long standing well known user, yes.

ReputationRep:
    Funny that.

The same thing happened to me...

ReputationRep:
    Depends how much rep the person is willing to give me. Rep is the most important thing in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnum Opus)
    Depends on the user; I expect with a long standing well known user, yes.
    Ah yes, it would depend on this ^

ReputationRep:
    If they were unfortunate in life then I would recommend them to a charity home and donate to the home.

If they spent it on drugs, alcohol, etc, then I would not give any money but I would tell them to seek help.

ReputationRep:
    We'd call them a troll and post "epic fail" images.

ReputationRep:
    No, thats what citizens advice is for -.-

ReputationRep:
    Its a shame so many people are suspicious by nature. What has the world come to

ReputationRep:
    More likely if they are a well known member and have been to meets etc.

A random noob? Doubt it :no:

ReputationRep:
    Link?

ReputationRep:
    Lol I think some of the more established users (cough) could count on help if they needed, dunno about the rest of you plebeians...

ReputationRep:
    Becuase thats what people are like, people are feinging injury to get disablilty allowence, you cant trust someone unless you can actually see them

ReputationRep:
    I would think if it was a really well known member, then yes, but anyone else and I think the majority of us would be sceptical.

Money is just a commodity. It can buy things and sell things.

For me the opportunity cost of giving away, say, 100£ is that i don't buy a game or go out a few times. The opportunity benefit for him is that he has a place to rent for a month, or a couple of weeks. Which is greater? Who is better served with that money?

I don't value money that highly. I come from a relatively well off family and for me money is just a way to buy things you like or need. I don't intend to be rich and i don't have any delusions of future wealth or quality of life.

This is ofcourse what i believe. In reality i am restricted by no real way of verifying said person (i wouldn't give the person money if i wasn't unsure of their identity; i don't want to contribute to their next drug overdose or drunk driving mishap) and the fact that i don't have a debit card to transfer funds from. If these two were not issues, then yes, i would donate the money. It wouldn't make me sad or happy, because money is what you make it to be and i look at it as paper and metal that gets you stuff. I can live without stuff; he can't live decently without a home.

ReputationRep:
    TSRians are mean
    everyone would probably go "omfgz troll! :troll:"

ReputationRep:
    Hello I'm the homeless guy, please don8 to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    I was just on another forum browsing and came across this thread with this guy ending up homeless with only £50. He literally had nothing but the luck of finding an Library to make a thread and write about his day.

In a little over 24 hours, he comes to the thread and finds out that the community have come up with over $700 in donations put into a paypal account waiting for him. He was tearful at the generosity.

Do you think TSR is able to match such kindness? Or would we just respond with "Lolz" in kind to a persons agony? Would you donate?
    I'd want to know why he's homeless. You could well be donating money only to fuel his alcohol or drug addictions, which isn't exactly a good thing to be doing.

I wouldn't say it's kindness, it's more naive and potentially very reckless.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.