Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Wine drunk" vs "Beer/liquer drunk" Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I'm wondering, I've drank plenty of beer, wine and liquer in my time - however I've also found that wine give as distinctly different "buzz" than other types of alcohol. I can't put my finger on the differences though..

Just wondering if anyone can qualitatively describe the differences between the two and what causes the difference - afterall it's all ethanol.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what the difference is but I do agree it's there.

Usually when I go out I will drink either straight whisky, whisky and coke or Budweiser... I can get really drunk and still be quite body able and have no hangover in the morning.
    However, after drinking a couple of bottles of strong wine I will feel moreso drunk and have a muzzy head the next day.

Strange.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's a bit weird

ReputationRep:
    Wine makes you feel sicker.

ReputationRep:
    No difference, just more alcohol being taken at once in a more concentrated form producing stronger or weaker effects.

Spirits and shots hit hard and produce a lot of euphoria for me. Beer... more weak and probably more pukey.

The drug is exactly the same. The ingesting is what differs.

ReputationRep:
    Higher conc wines have more chemicals in which give a diff buzz & worse hangover, wines 12% and under give the same feeling.

ReputationRep:
    I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I can't drink wine, so I wouldn't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impervious)
    I can't drink wine, so I wouldn't know.
    Samesies.

ReputationRep:
    White wine gives me a headache, spirits don't. I've never really been drunk on beers, wouldn't know.

wine leads to tears

spirits = happy drunk

ReputationRep:
    Wine on the whole makes me a silly kind of drunk.

Only red wine gives me a bad hangover. With beer and spirits i'm usually alrite.

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest there's as big a difference between beer hangovers as there is compared to spirit hangovers as there is wine compared to either.

I'd also suggest beer drunk tends to lead to more 'lairyness' than spirits or wine.

ReputationRep:
    Erm wine is usually better cos I only really drink it with meals so at least my stomach has a decent lining

ReputationRep:
    Beer drunks horrible, it just makes you bloated and I feel a bit belly achey the next day if ive been drinking beer.

Wine drunk to me seems the same as spirits drunk I think. Spirits and shots are what I tend to stick to.

ReputationRep:
    Have only been wine/beer drunk once in my life....never again

Liquer drunk all the way.

ReputationRep:
    Beer drunk and whisky drunk are different feelings for me too, as is wine. Wine makes me sleepy. Beer makes me sick sooner.

Whisky ftw.

ReputationRep:
    all different imo.
    beer has me in a slightly tipsy giggly state for ages and leaves me bloated if i drink too fast. so maybe it's good as i drink slow and just get happy? hum! but wine has me more silly and dopey, but i take myself more seriously and urgg. ohh and i get just a little bit.. randy?
    my dad got banned from our neighbours house by his wife after the husband and my dad drank a box of red rine each then flicked the lightsin the house on and off and threw bbq bones all over the street!

oh, i dislike spirit drunk. i avoid it at all costs, aside from a couple of whiskeys at the pub or before bed

ReputationRep:
    Wine drunk is horrible, beer drunk makes me happy but wine drunk makes me feel slurry and somehow half self conscious of my drunkness.

ReputationRep:
    It seems it effects everyone differently, but wine has a trend of "mellow" and "sleepy". Id like to hear some insight into the biological/physiological causes of this.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 14, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.