Turn on thread page Beta

I think i'm jealous of my friends' success help! watch

ReputationRep:
    Oh gawd. Chill out! You're making out like you're a complete and utter failure! My friends all did better than me at A-level cos I ****** up a single paper, missed my grades and went so on a different course instead. But I enjoy my course way more than I would have done (and they aren't liking their courses that much) plus and I'm destined for a better career because I have way more work experience than they do.

Anyway, that aside...it's not all about Cambridge. Don't pin all your hopes and dreams on Cambridge. If you want to be successful in life, it's not about academia...true, it helps, but exams are usually just regurgitating memorised information in a structured and coherent way, or analyising something exactly the way you've practiced through the entire year...it's all about jumping through specification hoops, you're pretty much spoon fed and there isn't much scope for creativity or innovative thinking. So if you screw up, don't be disheartened.

The bottom line is, from the moment you turned in your exam paper, there's nothing you can do about your result. Either you got the grades necessary for a Cambridge applicant, or you didn't. If you didn't...there's no point in worrying about it. Failure is a part of life, but success is finding a way. And if you can learn to deal with failure and reach your goal another way...you'll probably still get on a good course at a well respected university, and if you have the work experience and determination to succeed, you will.

Many of the world's most successful people didn't go to Oxbridge (or equivalents), some even left school at 16. Chin up, it won't be the end of the world!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RevisingHard)
    Lol yes...do you understand now - our whole culture is studying
    Now I understand, become a Doctor or face extermination by parents.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine. Just don't worry

ReputationRep:
    all the above are very good points...but i am doing it for myself, its just that there is competition and i guess i have too much pride

ReputationRep:
    You understand! Thankyouuuu
    Yeah. (: I was nervous about the same thing. I live in Scotland so we've had our results. I thought that I'd find it hard to be pleased for my friends. One of my best friends did really well and told me before I'd found out my results. I was genuinely pleased for her and it turned out I did really well too.

If you haven't done as well as you'd liked how about sending a wee text to your friends saying that you're disappointed about your results and would they mind not talking about their's while you're about. But even if you're upset tell them you're pleased for them.

ReputationRep:
    If you really don't want to see them, make an excuse to go and pick them up at a different time - early in the morning or later in the afternoon. If you do have to see your friends then just congratulate them, if they're really your friends they won't rub it in your face and will support you if you don't get the grades you need.

Just because you react differently to exams though doesn't mean you've done any worse. I'm a pessimistic person and always come out of every exam/job or uni interview etc and think 'it could have gone better' and never get too excited in case I fail but I've always pulled through in the end. Maybe you're just more of a cautious person? Good luck anyway x

P.S. AABB are still really good grades and you should have no problem with clearing who are used to dealing with students with Cs and Ds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purple Rain)
    Oh gawd. Chill out! You're making out like you're a complete and utter failure! My friends all did better than me at A-level cos I ****** up a single paper, missed my grades and went so on a different course instead. But I enjoy my course way more than I would have done (and they aren't liking their courses that much) plus and I'm destined for a better career because I have way more work experience than they do.

Anyway, that aside...it's not all about Cambridge. Don't pin all your hopes and dreams on Cambridge. If you want to be successful in life, it's not about academia...true, it helps, but exams are usually just regurgitating memorised information in a structured and coherent way, or analyising something exactly the way you've practiced through the entire year...it's all about jumping through specification hoops, you're pretty much spoon fed and there isn't much scope for creativity or innovative thinking. So if you screw up, don't be disheartened.

The bottom line is, from the moment you turned in your exam paper, there's nothing you can do about your result. Either you got the grades necessary for a Cambridge applicant, or you didn't. If you didn't...there's no point in worrying about it. Failure is a part of life, but success is finding a way. And if you can learn to deal with failure and reach your goal another way...you'll probably still get on a good course at a well respected university, and if you have the work experience and determination to succeed, you will.

Many of the world's most successful people didn't go to Oxbridge (or equivalents), some even left school at 16. Chin up, it won't be the end of the world!
    Your so cool..i love you!

ReputationRep:
    That's not crappy -.-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jtt16)
    you make me a little bit sick
    I think this pretty much sums up my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Lol yes...do you understand now - our whole culture is studying
    I feel rather proud of myself, >gives himself a pat on the back< that was very perceptive of me

The Asian culture does encourage competition, over celebrates success, and castigates failure of any kind. This is good, because i personally do not suscribe to the “taking part that counts” philosophy. But it also retards other aspects of life as well as put too much stress on some

ReputationRep:
    Shall I phone the police?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jtt16)
    you make me a little bit sick
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    lol AABB crappy!
    I have no words!
    pmsl!

ReputationRep:
    yeah the asian culture is all about, who got the best grades and who made it as a doctor - lol my mother said to me, you better do well in studies or else a doctor won't find you intellectually stimulating thus i'll have a taxi driver for a son-in-law lol no joke...But i AM doing it for myself...and my friends WILL rub it in my face, thier just like that - maybe not the best friends lol but thier the only ones i have

ReputationRep:
    eww
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    This dumb thread doesnt even deserve a helpful reply..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xJessx)
    If you really don't want to see them, make an excuse to go and pick them up at a different time - early in the morning or later in the afternoon. If you do have to see your friends then just congratulate them, if they're really your friends they won't rub it in your face and will support you if you don't get the grades you need.

Just because you react differently to exams though doesn't mean you've done any worse. I'm a pessimistic person and always come out of every exam/job or uni interview etc and think 'it could have gone better' and never get too excited in case I fail but I've always pulled through in the end. Maybe you're just more of a cautious person? Good luck anyway x

P.S. AABB are still really good grades and you should have no problem with clearing who are used to dealing with students with Cs and Ds.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    You could always be a hooker. I think they accept ABB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesome-o)
    You could always be a hooker. I think they accept ABB.
    Lol, a high paid hooker - i think i may have to resort to that

ReputationRep:
    What you mean is you don't think you've done as well as you would have liked, but AABB is certainly not crappy. You might have done better than you thought anyway, you wont know until results come out. Even if your friends do better, you should be happy for them and not make it look like youre jealous. You might just have to work harder to get your grades up to A's or apply to lower ranked universities. Its not the end of the world if you dont go to Cambridge, not everybody can.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.