Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I think i'm jealous of my friends' success help! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAKstriked)
    AABB hahahhaa, have fun working in McDonalds.

:lol:

ReputationRep:
    AABB isn't crappy

and you should be happy for them as any good friend. i get a bit frustrated sometimes when some of my friends are on straight A's (A level) and A*'s (at GCSE) but im still happy for them

dont get jealous. be happy with yourself and your own grades. no one elses grades matter as much to you as your own

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RevisingHard)
    Lol, a high paid hooker - i think i may have to resort to that
    I endorse your career, fair maiden :top:

ReputationRep:
    Why get jealous? Why don't you ask yourself what your friends do that you don't? That would be much more helpful for you and the relationship you have with your friends.

And AABB don't seem like crappy grades.. you can still get into a good university. And who said those grades are for certain anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, an ABBB is even possible!

ReputationRep:
    I have friends like that. I would open my results a bit further away, if not on my own - then ou can absorb them and decide how to react Like if suddenly feel sad, you can walk home without seeing anyone, or if you're O.K. with it go and talk/celebrate. Remember they're YOUR grades, not anyone else's, you could have worked twice as hard as your friends for them, so be proud of ou're efforts

You could still get in maybe and you've probs done better than you think Goodluck!

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who got into cambridge for law with AABB

He was put into the pool, and then got into one of the "less popular" colleges.

ReputationRep:
    RevisingHard, you've received some rather unfairly harsh responses in this thread! I certainly know what you feel like; I go to a school where there is a lot of healthy competition with my peer group and even amongst close friends, then go home to Asian parents who expect a lot! So I can empathise, especially when you say you would be disappointed with AABB which is a perfectly valid feeling if you seriously wanted better. Most people who want to apply to Cam. feel disappointed with any AS modules below 90% as that is genuinely quite important, whereas others would be over the moon with a C - there is no objective 'good' grade really.

I guess you shouldn't get your heart set on a particular course at a particular (Cambridge) university and a particular college so early! :p: There are plenty of good courses and good universities, and you should only be short-listing possibilities but decide after you have your AS marks and know what is realistic.

And just because your friends came out of the exams with beaming smiles doesn't mean they did well at all. Especially with subjects like English lit. and history, the marking is so subjective and you're probably just being overly critical of yourself as you know you could have done better (couldn't we all) but you are likely to have impressed the examiner with some writing you just think is normal but carries a degree of sophistication which you probably don't notice. Anyway, the moral of the story is not to compare yourself to your friends for a start, and especially not on post-exam emotions!

(Original post by david_man)
    this just means you wont be able to go to no.1 university. Besides a lower ranked university means that its easier to get a 1st or a 2.1. I know a guy who got a 2.2 from Cambridge and found it quite hard to get a job because loads of companys ask for 2.1 minimum and he was annoyed because 2.2 from cambridge si amazing. Something to think about...
    To be honest, that is a terribly flawed logic for not wanting to apply to top universities. :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    lol
    why don't you visit other universities? I thought i'd be going to the more 'respected' glasgow but then visited Stirling and had the time of my life visiting there haha

And theres nothing wrong with not getting straight a's, shows theres a bit more to you than grades

ReputationRep:
    How harsh does everyone want to be. Didn't you read the bit where she said she wanted to do Law at Cambridge and you're telling her not to worry about her grades. So when she compares herself to this goal, her results don't seem so good so guys stop hating, just because she has set higher standards for herself than the rest of you ffs!

And about being jealous, just try and set goals that you don't need to compare your self to others with. Do things for you and try and ignore everything/everyone else. As long as you believe that you're trying your best; there's really not much else you can do.

It's hard but just try and ignore it and focus on you .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hallix)
    How harsh does everyone want to be. Didn't you read the bit where she said she wanted to do Law at Cambridge and you're telling her not to worry about her grades. So when she compares herself to this goal, her results don't seem so good so guys stop hating, just because she has set higher standards for herself than the rest of you ffs!

And about being jealous, just try and set goals that you don't need to compare your self to others with. Do things for you and try and ignore everything/everyone else. As long as you believe that you're trying your best; there's really not much else you can do.

It's hard but just try and ignore it and focus on you .
    thanks, my friend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    RevisingHard, you've received some rather unfairly harsh responses in this thread! I certainly know what you feel like; I go to a school where there is a lot of healthy competition with my peer group and even amongst close friends, then go home to Asian parents who expect a lot! So I can empathise, especially when you say you would be disappointed with AABB which is a perfectly valid feeling if you seriously wanted better. Most people who want to apply to Cam. feel disappointed with any AS modules below 90% as that is genuinely quite important, whereas others would be over the moon with a C - there is no objective 'good' grade really.

I guess you shouldn't get your heart set on a particular course at a particular (Cambridge) university and a particular college so early! :p: There are plenty of good courses and good universities, and you should only be short-listing possibilities but decide after you have your AS marks and know what is realistic.

And just because your friends came out of the exams with beaming smiles doesn't mean they did well at all. Especially with subjects like English lit. and history, the marking is so subjective and you're probably just being overly critical of yourself as you know you could have done better (couldn't we all) but you are likely to have impressed the examiner with some writing you just think is normal but carries a degree of sophistication which you probably don't notice. Anyway, the moral of the story is not to compare yourself to your friends for a start, and especially not on post-exam emotions!

To be honest, that is a terribly flawed logic for not wanting to apply to top universities. :hmmm:
    Very good points..thankyou

ReputationRep:
    Stop hating because she thinks they're not good grades. It's all about expectations and what they are hoping to get.

If someone realisticly wanted to get into Oxford but then got (somehow) BCC, that person would be SHATTERED and probably VERY upset by it and wondering what went wrong. However, someone who wasn't as smart would be just amazed at such high grades and would think "Wow, can't believe this person is moaning about such amazing grades."

ReputationRep:
    hahahah i would be so f'in happy with AABB. Dont worry and if your parents bothered you about your grades, then tell them to f off( i mean if you had the guts)

ReputationRep:
    exactly

ReputationRep:
    lol i don't have the guts to tell my parents anything

ReputationRep:
    In the past day or two, its dawned on me that my as level results will be coming in 13 days - i am sooooooo scared; i know i didn't do that well and will probs get 2 A's and 2B's but I KNOW all my friends will get all A's - they are super clever and came out of every exam looking like they'd slept with a coat hanger in thier mouths - realllly happy and celebrating. Lets just say, i looked a little different. Anyway, i've always wanted to apply to cambridge, newnham for Law and have a strong feeling that i won't be able to do this anymore
    What i'm saying is, how do i react when my friends get stunning grades and i'm left with crappy grades
    Also, how do i cope with bad grades and not being able to get to cambridge - a place i have researched, dreamed of - even made posters of
    Lol basically how do i stop myself from completely freaking out on the 20th and getting too jealous of my friends' success - trust me this scenario is guaranteed
    Thanx xxx
    Well, you certainly aren't setting yourself up for disappointment in that regard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Well, you certainly aren't setting yourself up for disappointment in that regard.
    lol

ReputationRep:
    In the past day or two, its dawned on me that my as level results will be coming in 13 days - i am sooooooo scared; i know i didn't do that well and will probs get 2 A's and 2B's but I KNOW all my friends will get all A's - they are super clever and came out of every exam looking like they'd slept with a coat hanger in thier mouths - realllly happy and celebrating. Lets just say, i looked a little different. Anyway, i've always wanted to apply to cambridge, newnham for Law and have a strong feeling that i won't be able to do this anymore
    What i'm saying is, how do i react when my friends get stunning grades and i'm left with crappy grades
    Also, how do i cope with bad grades and not being able to get to cambridge - a place i have researched, dreamed of - even made posters of
    Lol basically how do i stop myself from completely freaking out on the 20th and getting too jealous of my friends' success - trust me this scenario is guaranteed
    Thanx xxx
    So wtf do u want us to do about it? You get the grades that u worked for. Ur friends worked harder and thts y they deserve better grades.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    You could still realistically (with resits if you wanted) get into Cambridge, you don't know that you've got those grades yet.

If you think that you're going to upset your friends by being jealous just try and avoid them after you've got your results if you haven't got the grades you were hoping for, give yourself a couple of days to get used to it and then go out and try and smile and be happy for them. I know it's hard but it's really not the end for you.

Good luck, I really understand it's difficult for you but wait and see how your results come out before you panic

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.