Turn on thread page Beta

Why aren't the top universities in clearing? watch

• View Poll Results: Why aren't many top universities in clearing?
    Because they genuinely fill all their spaces
    60.00%
    They think not filling their courses is the sign of a bad university so stay out of it
    7.69%
    They only wish to take on students who meet the prospectus requirements and apply to them through the initial UCAS period
    29.23%
    A different reason
    3.08%

ReputationRep:
    All the top universities aren't in clearing, why do you think that is?

ReputationRep:
    Because they are very competitive and don't need to fill any places?

ReputationRep:
    Because the top universities take the top students, not the dross left over in clearing

ReputationRep:
    Clearing hasn't started yet, what are you talking about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
    Has in Scotland

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
    From a general point of view, the top universities are never in clearing.

St Andrews, the best university in Scotland according to the tables, has already said they won't be in clearing.

ReputationRep:
    because they are filled up and have no room to talk people

ReputationRep:
    no spaces left

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeterR)
    All the top universities aren't in clearing, why do you think that is?
    There may be a few, Durham (even if it's mainly QC), Edinburgh, maybe Warwick...I'm sure these have had courses in clearing these past few years. Certainly some of them.

It's quite obvious. They are oversubcribed and popular universities. They often already have the students they need.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think it's a mix of actually being genuinely full (and so not having any space left) and the potential stigma in regards to clearing (people may view the university as inferior or something).

I have no idea how true this is, however have heard/been told that Oxford seldom fill up their chemistry intake but won't go through clearing and additionally Bristol choose to do the same in the courses they don't fill up. I've no idea how true this is, just things I've heard (from students actually at said universities).

ReputationRep:
    Because they're top universities. I don't understand your question.

ReputationRep:
    Because more people than they can take, all of whom fulfil the entry requirements, apply originally, so they've no need to use Clearing to get extra students; it's not an indicator of how good they are (as "They think not filling their courses is the sign of a bad university so stay out of it" assumes) but rather a simple consequence

ReputationRep:
    Because their courses tend to be competitive hence they've got a lot of good candidates to choose from before Clearing.

I just checked the Edinburgh website just out of curiosity what they say about Clearing this year. There're no places open for UK/EU students, but if you're an overseas candidate that meets the entry requirements, you're advised to contact the uni to enquire about possible vacancies (but no chance in medicine or vet). They say it's because there's a quota for UK/EU students set by the government, but there're no such restrictions regarding overseas students.

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh is actually full for the first time in a long time- the applications hike has pushed up the demand so you'll find a lot of universities aren't in it. Glasgow, aside from its satellite campus that no one applies for, has under 100 places left out of 4500, and they're all in engineering,which isn't the most fashionable of subjects this weather, and doesn't usually fill up at all but about six universities. Not being in clearing is more an example of demand vastly outstripping supply rather than course quality. St Andrews has 13 applications to every place now, so even the subjects it isn't renowned for and indeed is bettered by other universities in, usually fill up before their rivals. Manchester, at the other end of the scale, has to attract several times the number of applicants before it fills up, but this says nothing of the quality of the course.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.