Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lets get out more and stop chatting to faceless strangers. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have decided that I will end this rather strange pastime of chatting to complete strangers online.We obviously need to get out more and LIVE LIFE!! Its the beginning of the end!
    Do I care what people with strange user names say or think?
    Ta Ra!

ReputationRep:
    There's not a great deal I can go out and do at half nine on a Friday night, unfortunately, so I'll be staying on TSR, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Cool.

ReputationRep:
    thats great and everything. but i did that last night and now im tired.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure these people have faces :erm:

i would but sadly i am in a place with zero pubs or clubs, a population of around 200 people which are mostly above the age of 50 and the nearest major town or city is about 50 miles away.

ReputationRep:
    laters..i'm crying cos i'l miss you so much..
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Interesting discussion.

There's certainly a lot of benefits from chatting to people online. It allows you to speak to all sorts of people you may not otherwise have had the chance to speak to. You can learn a lot from speaking to people from other parts of the country, other circumstances and even other countries.

It can also offer some company to people who, for hatever reason, are housebound/cannot get out and would otherwise spend a lot of time on their own. Or also makes it easier for those people who have difficulty communicating or who feel awkward in social situations a way to interact with other people, when otherwise they might choose to totally isolate themselves.

But chatting online and meeting people face to face are not things which you have to pick one or the other. It's good to be able to do both.

Another one...what do you think of the situation where many of the people you do speak with in person are actually ones you chatted to online first??

ReputationRep:
    I only chat online to kill time.

ReputationRep:
    Bye bye fellow 'faceless' stranger :ciao:

ReputationRep:
    You do know that it is possible to "live your life" and frequent the TSR forums.

ReputationRep:
    Someone can't balance their social life.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.