Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm back at work from Monday, 9-5 at a multinational company, but they're fine with pretty much any clothing.

But I've never been able to really grasp what a guy wears for 'casual' smart clothing.

Polo's? Jeans? Trousers?

I don't really know, the past 2 summers and 2 winter holidays I've just turned up in a shirt/trousers (sometimes a suit) just to make an impression at meetings and stuff, but now I'm pretty much a set member of the team lol.

I'd go for a dress shirt with short sleeves and trousers. If it was cold I'd put on a suit jacket or a nice jumper.

ReputationRep:
    What about ... a shirt, with a jumper over the top and casual trousers?

Kind of like this: http://www.dorcasandtirzah.com/image...ck_sweater.jpg

ReputationRep:
    Well, what do other people wear there? Just wear something similar.

ReputationRep:
    Just wear jeans and a t-shirt/polo
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by DeSiFiEd)
    I'm back at work from Monday, 9-5 at a multinational company, but they're fine with pretty much any clothing.

But I've never been able to really grasp what a guy wears for 'casual' smart clothing.

Polo's? Jeans? Trousers?

I don't really know, the past 2 summers and 2 winter holidays I've just turned up in a shirt/trousers (sometimes a suit) just to make an impression at meetings and stuff, but now I'm pretty much a set member of the team lol.
    Why not just go on with wearing that and see what other people wear and then wear similar things?

ReputationRep:
    My whole floor are women...not a joke lol! (unfortunately old, not so eligible women).

ReputationRep:
    Just wear a QMUL hoodie. :cool:
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by DeSiFiEd)
    My whole floor are women...not a joke lol! (unfortunately old, not so eligible women).
    Ah, well copying them may not be so good then :p:

But what do they wear? It may help to decide what is good for you. Do they ever wear jeans or anything similar? What else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    Ah, well copying them may not be so good then :p:

But what do they wear? It may help to decide what is good for you. Do they ever wear jeans or anything similar? What else?
    I've seen jeans before, but mainly skirts and dresses with just a normal top.

I need to go shopping tomorrow lol.

ReputationRep:
    Buy some trousers which are not black and not suit material/ cut. i.e. mayve a wool/ chino type trouser. Buy some nice sweaters and some smartish polo shirts. Should be fine. I think somethink along the lines of http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/men/casualwear/54/7 counts as smart casual for men!

ReputationRep:
    dont bother trying trendy casual at work

just wear trousers and a shirt but not necessarily a tie.

ReputationRep:
    Try the Gap and Next - things like jeans or cords with classic shirts, and a nice jumper/cardigan would look nice.

ReputationRep:
    chinos and a shirt/polo/jumper?
    the office i used to work at was "smart casual" but most of the blokes still wore trousers/chinos and shirts, but they were like 40+. the young 'uns took it a bit far winding up in uni hoodies and sweat pants

ReputationRep:
    If the dress code is casual then I would read that as jeans being acceptable, smart-casual, trousers and a shirt/polo and smart a suit

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.