Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It's something I plan to do in the near future. Been thinking about it for a while now.

ReputationRep:
    I would, but they won't take mine :p:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe. My cousin went to college in the US and all students would donate if they could as you get paid. This was some time ago.

ReputationRep:
    I've done so 5 times.

ReputationRep:
    I really want to but haven't had the oppotunity yet. I suffer from MS which according to the guidelines is a no no but I have heard that has now changed in America. Im just waiting to hear back from the NHS what the situation is here

ReputationRep:
    I would happily, but they don't really make it easy to know where to go. If I knew where and when a blood van was gonna be where I live I would do, I guess I could look it up but I'd just forget.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind doing it, petrified of needles though.

ReputationRep:
    I will and I have.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the register, but keep chickening out when it's my time to do it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not allowed. I had a blood transfusion in 99, so if I gave blood I could be poisoning the well with CJD.

ReputationRep:
    I've done it twice, both times at uni. I think the Blood Service go into most unis and ask for volunteers.

ReputationRep:
    First time later this month.

ReputationRep:
    I would consider it! it's just that I don't like needles that much -_-

ReputationRep:
    I'm finally allowed so yes!

ReputationRep:
    I'm too small! I was planning to, but when I looked further I realised that they wouldn't take me anyway

ReputationRep:
    i did until these holes appeared on me filled with metal and these strange drawings appeared too. I will when i can again

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, twice! First did it two days after my 17th (I'd wanted to for a long time, counted down and all :rolleyes: ) and then again last Tuesday
    My first time went really well - I was soo nervous and got told off for being too chatty! But they took the blood and a day later my arm had stopped hurting.
    This time round it didn't go so well. When the nurse put the needle in she did a bit of a rubbishy job so blood spurted everywhere! The donation went fine, but now I have an EPIC bruise on my arm. It's not painful, it's just where the blood has leaked under the skin - they tell you to put pressure on it afterwards to prevent this (and while I was doing this the nurse answered a phone call, so instead of two minutes it was at least 5 minutes of pressure) but obviously it didn't work this time. The bruise itself is quite a distance from the wound, not in the area I put pressure on though. Arm still hurts a bit too, but it'll recover.

Bit annoyed that they were less careful this time, and that the nurse was on the phone. She said it was to her boss, which I believe, but she was standing next to me as she spoke and it sounded like a fairly chatty conversation.

To anyone who is scared/not doing it: JUST DO IT! Seriously, it's not that bad
    The people there are really nice and both times have only taken half an hour each (though my blood comes out quite fast - 6mins something and 5mins 26 :yep: ) and you can opt for a local anaesthetic if you want. Having the needle in you does feel uncomfortable but not painful, and it's over so quickly anyway! My friend who had the anaesthetic said it wasn't uncomfortable at all for him, even afterwards, so that's always an option. I know the needle they use for the anaesthetic is far smaller than the blood one, so never fear!

Even though I had a worse experience this time, I'm definitely going back at the end of November when I next can - if only for the free food :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Have done and will do.

ReputationRep:
    They don't let gays so no they are not getting my blood.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.