Turn on thread page Beta

Will you ever give blood watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Can't at the mo due to regular hosp treatment but will do. My mum's up to 40+ and my 16 year old sis is planning to start as soon as she is 17 and 6 months has passed since her belly piercing.

Saves lives - DO IT!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I plan on doing so when I return to uni.

ReputationRep:
    I intend to now that im the legal age. And im looking forward to it.. hopefully i dont have bad blood but according to my doctor the last time i was in the hospital i have "good fat veins". :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I don't weigh enough.

My parents say I am banned from giving blood - because my mother has a history of anaemia and illness due to blood loss. She believes she is weaker than the average person and that, being her daughter, I must be too. She thinks it is dangerous and will make me ill.

[Whether I believe her or not is another matter, one day when/if I weigh enough I may do so anyway]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtfhaffyduck)
    My parents both do and i think id like to aswell! It's a good cause!
    late happy birthday :party:

ReputationRep:
    I will as soon as my bloody donor card comes through arghh!

ReputationRep:
    I am going to

I want to know what blood type I am too, my Dads O and my Mum A.
    So I'm not sure what my blood type would be

ReputationRep:
    Hmm good reminder, maybe I should start giving

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ribbits)
    I don't weigh enough.

My parents say I am banned from giving blood - because my mother has a history of anaemia and illness due to blood loss. She believes she is weaker than the average person and that, being her daughter, I must be too. She thinks it is dangerous and will make me ill.

[Whether I believe her or not is another matter, one day when/if I weigh enough I may do so anyway]
    If you've never been diagnosed with anaemia then I doubt giving blood will be a problem for you, as long as you weigh enough obviously. They do a test to make sure you don't have anaemia literally minutes before you give blood and stop you if you do. Also, they make you lie down for a few minutes afterwards and make you take your time between finishing the donation and moving to the recovery place, where they make damn sure you're fed on junk and rehydrated they gave me two drinks this time!
    Also, they reeeeeeally don't like letting you leave without someone to take you home, at least on your first time. I was fine my first time but this time I nearly fainted half an hour later! I think this could be down to the fact that I weighed 4-5kg less on my second time than my first (and was only 3kg over the limit), but I don't know. I'm fine now

ReputationRep:
    I would :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Nope, can't. Underweight, on medication, blood disorder- TPO antibodies.

ReputationRep:
    I can and do, regularly.

ReputationRep:
    ...I do.

ReputationRep:
    Already have. BTW you don't have to be 18 whoever said that.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I have given blood before, and I will again when I'm allowed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsukuyomi)
    Im just interested, or maybe you want to be paid for it, or youll only give it to family members
    I give blood around every 16 weeks.

Go me.

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I have done in the past but last time I fainted and felt horrible so it's really put me off.

ReputationRep:
    No can do. I'm banned from giving blood. :p:

I'm terrified of needles so I don't think I would even if I was able to. >.<

I give blood on a regular basis, being AB negative I have a pretty rare bloodtype. when you make up only 0.5% of the populations blood type you do feel that you should give a pint every now and then

ReputationRep:
    I am registered to give blood but haven't.....yet :o:

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.