Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Probably not, I'm using all of my blood, and I don't have a spare litre to give away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ormaybeitsjustnarcissism)
    On principle, no. When this changes, yes.
    I understand why you say you won't (as it is ridiculous to ban gay men) however, it does save a lot of lives and therefore I think despite your (and my) principles, it's still very important to give blood.
    I'm going to do it for the people it will save even if they ban a particular group of people - it's about saving people!

ReputationRep:
    :yep: I already do, as 17 is the minimum age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itszednotzee)
    I understand why you say you won't (as it is ridiculous to ban gay men) however, it does save a lot of lives and therefore I think despite your (and my) principles, it's still very important to give blood.
    I'm going to do it for the people it will save even if they ban a particular group of people - it's about saving people!
    Well, I'd like to now you put it like that, but this is a scary thread! All the stories about blood squirting out and people having their bicep poked, and needles going in the wrong bit

I'm going to on Monday.

ReputationRep:
    I have done once last year. We have a blood service come to our students union, I missed it though earlier this year. I'd do it again when I have the chance to.

ReputationRep:
    I am registered but havent donated any blood as yet, but am planning to at my next local session. I have also recently looked into donating bone marrow.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'd like to now you put it like that, but this is a scary thread! All the stories about blood squirting out and people having their bicep poked, and needles going in the wrong bit
    Haha yeah true - it's scary but it's not going to put me off! It is only halfan hour of your life don't forget and the small amount of pain you might experience if something goes a little bit wrong is worth it for the lives you will save

ReputationRep:
    I signed up to give blood, but then couldn't because I was anaemic.

ReputationRep:
    I would do, and tried to as well.

But i cannot as i have had heart surgery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j09)
    Probably not, I'm using all of my blood, and I don't have a spare litre to give away.
    :no:

ReputationRep:
    Hehe don't be scared!! It was a bit nervy the first time, but they put you so so much at ease, and if it's you're first time I'm sure they'll be extra-careful too! The actual blood giving bit takes at most 15 minutes - if you haven't given a pint by then they take whatever you've given - and the feeling afterwards that you've saved someone's life is great plus if you really don't like it then at least you can say you tried but it wasn't for you. Go for it, good luck! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    :no:
    That was a half joke, as an athlete, I can't really afford to because of the impact it would have on training.

ReputationRep:
    I will do, but they don't want my blood atm- too many malaria zones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameeso)
    late happy birthday :party:
    Awh, hehe... Thankyou! xx :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j09)
    That was a half joke, as an athlete, I can't really afford to because of the impact it would have on training.
    Fair, in that case you probably can't afford to loose half a litre.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i will do, i have just signed up for it. My friends and i were talking about it actually, and she said 'why should i, it's my body, it belongs to me.' Which is fair enough i suppose, but would she take the same attitude if it ment giving her blood which didn't belong to her body?

ReputationRep:
    I want to. Apparently I don't weigh enough or something :erm:

ReputationRep:
    I have done twice, and would be happy too agaun. Would have donated more, but I had a tetnus Jab (can't donate for a while) and then got a piercing (can't donate for 6th months).

I fainted after the second time giving it; I was storming around town, feeling amazing, not taking heed of the nurses' warning to TAKE IT EASY FOR A FEW HOURS, walked up a flight of stairs in the opticions and passed out XD

ReputationRep:
    I would, but unfortunately I will never be legally allowed to unless the law changes.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.