Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yes....next friday :-)

ReputationRep:
    I planned to, but due to medical reasons I couldn't at the time (antibiotics etc.)

I always used to get ear infections due to two perforated eardrums, but now I have had both ears operated on, there's no longer a hole, thus reducing my infection risk. Now I've not had any problems since my operations, I'm confident that I'll be able to give blood next time there's a session anywhere near me! And... I plan to!

Edit: Ok, we have a donor centre at my local hospital, I have plenty of days to choose from, i'll book an apoointment as soon as possible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsukuyomi)
    Im just interested, or maybe you want to be paid for it, or youll only give it to family members
    Nope. I see myself more as a vampire really. If others are selfless enough to give blood, then I'll just take advantage!

If they want my blood they'll have to fight me for it!

ReputationRep:
    i can't give blood
    i would if i could
    why can't you give it if your a man and had anal sex with another man?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lets_make_some_music)
    i can't give blood
    i would if i could
    Coz there is a very, VERY high risk of Aids; in fact Anal Sex is the activity you are at most risk of getting HIV, (I think) even more so than intravenous needle use (and much more than regular Penis/vag sex)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lets_make_some_music)
    i can't give blood
    i would if i could
    More information on that here. [PDF File]

How can the National Blood Service justify a policy which discriminates against gay men?
    The policy is in place for the sole purpose of protecting public health by minimising the risk of transmission of HIV and other blood-borne viruses to patients through the blood which we supply to hospitals. Men who have ever had sex with men are at a higher risk of carrying such viruses. Since it is specific sexual behaviour which places individuals at risk, rather than their sexuality, there is no exclusion of gay men who have never had sex with another man nor of women who have sex with women.

ReputationRep:
    did it for the first time last year. felt kinda wasted for a bit afterwards.
    haven't done it this year yet but am planning to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    Well done mate, it's a good cause.

I'm not 18 yet.

Hey, i got a letter the other day saying something like this

NHS

we dont pretend to understand you. we've no idea what your like or what you dont. but we do know your 17 so you can give blood, think about car crashes, cancer, ops. stuff happens. so we need you like 2 other million people to give blood.

etc etc etc

call 08457711711

or visit www.blood.co.uk

so, if you 17 i think you can do it now

ReputationRep:
    I've tried to twice now, but I've never been allowed because I've traveled to certain countries or infectious areas shortly before walking in to donate.

I'm not likely to stop traveling soon, but I'm on the organ donors list so I'd like to believe I'm doing my part.

The only other thing I know I can do is donate a kidney, which I would do if a close family member needed me to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gummers)
    so, if you 17 i think you can do it now
    Yes! You're eligible to do it at 17.
    Visit this page on www.blood.co.uk for a quick run-through of some of the questions.

There's also their FAQ Page which gives information.
    Q Who can give blood?
    A Almost anyone between the ages of 17 and 66 can become a new blood donor. Those regular donors who stay well and continue to meet our donor selection rules can still show up and donate for their free cup of tea and biscuits.

ReputationRep:
    Have done and will again. I struggle to understand why people who can don't, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    I don't weigh nearly enough.

ReputationRep:
    I have done in the past, but my penchant for buggery exludes me now.

ReputationRep:
    I'd donate, but only if I could ensure that I wasn't ill.

ReputationRep:
    I'd do it if I could go through the 10mins without fainting. I really want to do it, but I'd be a hassle haha. If only they'd just put me to sleep then I'd do it

I'm determined to do it as some point and stop being such a wuss

ReputationRep:
    I wish I had the stones to do it, but I really don't . My mum needed 5 pints of blood when I was born, so I feel I have a duty to give it back, but every time I think about going nerves get the better of me.

ReputationRep:
    I really wish I was man enough to. My mum does and I'm filled with admiration for her, and everyone else who donates blood. However I'm too much of a pussy, I've only had my blood taken once and I nearly passed out :p: Although my excuse is I'll save plenty of lives in the future (hopefully!) :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Creepy)
    I wish I had the stones to do it, but I really don't . My mum needed 5 pints of blood when I was born, so I feel I have a duty to give it back, but every time I think about going nerves get the better of me.
    :ditto: If it's ok with you, we could be big girl's blouses together? :p: :console:

ReputationRep:
    can't do it If I could then I would.

ReputationRep:
    I might do so.
    I had to give a blood sample at hospital once (the doctor stuck my needle in his hand.....very unprofessional but it happens) The pain was bearable during but after I couldn't move my arm for a day or two.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.