Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What kind of things can I do at this age to earn a little bit of money?

I'd be happy doing most things really, although I'm not too comfortable working with the public. (social outcast I know).

Any suggestions would be great

ReputationRep:
    join the club mate. call centres are always hiring, but the wage is basic

ReputationRep:
    You could try the supermarkets.

ReputationRep:
    Could try both of those.

ReputationRep:
    You can get a job on a street corner, except you have to pay to get it.

ReputationRep:
    i work in tescos, newlook and as kitchen staff in a pub
    im 16 and a half
    get off your arse and make an effort?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMeister)
    You can get a job on a street corner, except you have to pay to get it.
    irrelevant, but is that person in your avatar from a bond movie?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameeso)
    irrelevant, but is that person in your avatar from a bond movie?
    Yeah. Here's some info on her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basmati)
    i work in tescos, newlook and as kitchen staff in a pub
    im 16 and a half
    get off your arse and make an effort?
    Lucky you, you fell lucky on a few jobs wheras most people get a million rejections.
    You're attitude is way helpful by the way.
    Oh and they are getting off their arse, getting ideas means they most probably are looking around as well.
    Jeez.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doublereedfreak)
    Lucky you, you fell lucky on a few jobs wheras most people get a million rejections.
    Oh and they are getting off their arse, getting ideas means they most probably are looking around as well.
    Jeez.
    You're ace

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joestevens2092)
    What kind of things can I do at this age to earn a little bit of money?

I'd be happy doing most things really, although I'm not too comfortable working with the public. (social outcast I know).

Any suggestions would be great
    I think you should get a job working with the public (i.e. waitering, working on a checkout, retail?). You say you're a social outcast, and to get anywhere in this world you need people skills. This is the perfect opportunity to acquire some - might seem scary, but it's only small scale stuff and will be an invaluable asset when it comes to the tough real world where you'll be up against other confident, personable candidates who'll be able to win the interviewer round. No one wants a wallflower.

ReputationRep:
    I had a very similar situation last summer but got £4000 last year working from home
    see my signature my friend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joestevens2092)
    You're ace

Anyway, to actually answer your post, just get any job first. once you've got one, you under less pressure and can start looking for better jobs.
    Try the usual cafes, pubs, resteraunts, supermarkets and shops.

ReputationRep:
    Jeez.
    not being funny but whenever the subject of work comes up with me and people i know- no one can be bothered but all sit there and moan that they dont have a job
    it just seems like im the only one willing to take some action and its fustrating to hear people go on about how hard done by they are cos they dont have a job (not saying youre on of these people but EUUUUURGH its annoying)
    i also got a million rejections- its ****, i realise but then you just gotta put out a million and one applications

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purple Rain)
    I think you should get a job working with the public (i.e. waitering, working on a checkout, retail?). You say you're a social outcast, and to get anywhere in this world you need people skills. This is the perfect opportunity to acquire some - might seem scary, but it's only small scale stuff and will be an invaluable asset when it comes to the tough real world where you'll be up against other confident, personable candidates who'll be able to win the interviewer round. No one wants a wallflower.
    +1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basmati)
    not being funny but whenever the subject of work comes up with me and people i know- no one can be bothered but all sit there and moan that they dont have a job
    it just seems like im the only one willing to take some action and its fustrating to hear people go on about how hard done by they are cos they dont have a job (not saying youre on of these people but EUUUUURGH its annoying)
    i also got a million rejections- its ****, i realise but then you just gotta put out a million and one applications
    I know most people are ridiculous getting jobs, but when you have a perfectly non-whiny question on a thread, you're attitude is just pointless really. This person is making an effort and wants advice that someone like you with 3 jobs could perfectly give, but you decided to just be a bit of a git about it.

ReputationRep:
    I know most people are ridiculous getting jobs, but when you have a perfectly non-whiny question on a thread, you're attitude is just pointless really. This person is making an effort and wants advice that someone like you with 3 jobs could perfectly give, but you decided to just be a bit of a git about it.
    apologies for being a git, im sure i havent mentally scared anyone so all is well
    on a lighter note can i make up for it by suggesting the job centre and the MILLION cleaning jobs they have to offer?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.