Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone Here Not Driven Since Passing? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey there,

I passed my driving test over three weeks ago, and haven't gotten a car yet, hence have not driven yet.

Anyone else not driven since passing yet? And when I do get my car (in the next few weeks) will I suddenly be crap?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    I went probably 7/8 weeks after passing my test before I got a car and was able to drive. It was slightly nervewracking at first, but I wasn't any worse than I was than when I had been driving in my weekly lessons. You will probably just need to get a bit of practice when it's not too busy to build up your confidence again, and even to get used to the new car, but not for too long (maybe a few minutes, depends on you). When you start driving on your own is when you learn the most. Just don't become intimidated, yet inversely, don't get too cocky.

ReputationRep:
    i know people that havent...it sucks ://

ReputationRep:
    I passed bout 3 weeks ago. My mum would not let me go out on my own until she thought i was ready (as she is payin the insurance). Anyway i have just come back from a 10 day holiday and went out with her once, then i drove on my own; it didnt actually feel that different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casserole At The Keyboard)
    Hey there,

I passed my driving test over three weeks ago, and haven't gotten a car yet, hence have not driven yet.

Anyone else not driven since passing yet? And when I do get my car (in the next few weeks) will I suddenly be crap?

Thanks.
    Erm... I don't think so.

And as the saying goes, you start to really learn how to drive once you've passed the stupid test. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Beep beep

ReputationRep:
    I've been insured on my grandads automatic... my parents say they cant afford a manual right now... do you think this will affect my ability to drive a manual in the future... say if they manage to get one in 1 year?

a bit worried about this ^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Myiesha_90)
    I've been insured on my grandads automatic... my parents say they cant afford a manual right now... do you think this will affect my ability to drive a manual in the future... say if they manage to get one in 1 year?

a bit worried about this ^
    It'll just take a few hours to re-learn. Nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    I passed my test in May and I havent driven yet because I have no money for a car and my mums car has a 2 litre engine so the insurance would be really expensive I probably wont drive a car for a while but I sat my test in an automatic so it wont be too hard to remember what to do. I think you'll be fine its not been that long.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't drive for almost 4 months, I passed in November and got my car in March and I didn't feel like I'd forgotten how to drive. I kept going over things I'd done in lessons to keep things fresh in my mind like certain manouvres etc.

ReputationRep:
    I havent thanks to insurance

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, you'll be fine. I didn't start driving until three weeks after my test and was fine.

ReputationRep:
    I went about 12 weeks, maybe 13 from passing my test, to driving again. Was probably more thinking about it - I passed on the last day before I went back to Uni after summer, so didn't drive until I came home again, mid december! Was a bit nervous to start with (and was after every term break) but regular driving made me a lot more confident and better =]

ReputationRep:
    i passed last novemeber but mom and dad wont let me have a car. my mate lets me drive sometimes tho, and i take my moms z4 out if they on holiday hehe. you wont forget how to drive tho, just be slightly rusty on the clutch etc

ReputationRep:
    i passed just before going to uni, didn't get a car, and so didn't drive for 3 years. had some refresher lessons recently and i was pretty amazed by how much i remembered. my actual driving ability was almost as good as it was when i passed (in terms of steering, gear change, etc), but i fell down in my judgement and observation, which took a couple of hours to get back into the swing of things.

ReputationRep:
    Passed last May, did the Pass Plus course too. Havent been in a driving seat since. Thats over a year now. If I do go back to driving im going to take some re-fresher lessons.

ReputationRep:
    about 9 months for me since i passed and aint driven, and still aint got a car as of today!

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to do my learning and test next summer and won't be buying a car as I don't really need the additional cost at university but when I finish uni I will buy a cheap run around maybe a KA or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    i passed my test and then it was 9/10 months before i drove again! it was scary. i think now though if i haven't driven for a while, i'll be a bit rusty but i wouldn't have forgotten how to drive. you just can't forget.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 16, 2009
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.