Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone Here Not Driven Since Passing? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey there,

I passed my driving test over three weeks ago, and haven't gotten a car yet, hence have not driven yet.

Anyone else not driven since passing yet? And when I do get my car (in the next few weeks) will I suddenly be crap?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    I went probably 7/8 weeks after passing my test before I got a car and was able to drive. It was slightly nervewracking at first, but I wasn't any worse than I was than when I had been driving in my weekly lessons. You will probably just need to get a bit of practice when it's not too busy to build up your confidence again, and even to get used to the new car, but not for too long (maybe a few minutes, depends on you). When you start driving on your own is when you learn the most. Just don't become intimidated, yet inversely, don't get too cocky.

ReputationRep:
    i know people that havent...it sucks ://

ReputationRep:
    I passed bout 3 weeks ago. My mum would not let me go out on my own until she thought i was ready (as she is payin the insurance). Anyway i have just come back from a 10 day holiday and went out with her once, then i drove on my own; it didnt actually feel that different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casserole At The Keyboard)
    Hey there,

I passed my driving test over three weeks ago, and haven't gotten a car yet, hence have not driven yet.

Anyone else not driven since passing yet? And when I do get my car (in the next few weeks) will I suddenly be crap?

Thanks.
    Erm... I don't think so.

And as the saying goes, you start to really learn how to drive once you've passed the stupid test. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Beep beep

ReputationRep:
    I've been insured on my grandads automatic... my parents say they cant afford a manual right now... do you think this will affect my ability to drive a manual in the future... say if they manage to get one in 1 year?

a bit worried about this ^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Myiesha_90)
    I've been insured on my grandads automatic... my parents say they cant afford a manual right now... do you think this will affect my ability to drive a manual in the future... say if they manage to get one in 1 year?

a bit worried about this ^
    It'll just take a few hours to re-learn. Nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    I passed my test in May and I havent driven yet because I have no money for a car and my mums car has a 2 litre engine so the insurance would be really expensive I probably wont drive a car for a while but I sat my test in an automatic so it wont be too hard to remember what to do. I think you'll be fine its not been that long.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't drive for almost 4 months, I passed in November and got my car in March and I didn't feel like I'd forgotten how to drive. I kept going over things I'd done in lessons to keep things fresh in my mind like certain manouvres etc.

ReputationRep:
    I havent thanks to insurance

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, you'll be fine. I didn't start driving until three weeks after my test and was fine.

ReputationRep:
    I went about 12 weeks, maybe 13 from passing my test, to driving again. Was probably more thinking about it - I passed on the last day before I went back to Uni after summer, so didn't drive until I came home again, mid december! Was a bit nervous to start with (and was after every term break) but regular driving made me a lot more confident and better =]

ReputationRep:
    i passed last novemeber but mom and dad wont let me have a car. my mate lets me drive sometimes tho, and i take my moms z4 out if they on holiday hehe. you wont forget how to drive tho, just be slightly rusty on the clutch etc

ReputationRep:
    i passed just before going to uni, didn't get a car, and so didn't drive for 3 years. had some refresher lessons recently and i was pretty amazed by how much i remembered. my actual driving ability was almost as good as it was when i passed (in terms of steering, gear change, etc), but i fell down in my judgement and observation, which took a couple of hours to get back into the swing of things.

ReputationRep:
    Passed last May, did the Pass Plus course too. Havent been in a driving seat since. Thats over a year now. If I do go back to driving im going to take some re-fresher lessons.

ReputationRep:
    about 9 months for me since i passed and aint driven, and still aint got a car as of today!

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to do my learning and test next summer and won't be buying a car as I don't really need the additional cost at university but when I finish uni I will buy a cheap run around maybe a KA or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    i passed my test and then it was 9/10 months before i drove again! it was scary. i think now though if i haven't driven for a while, i'll be a bit rusty but i wouldn't have forgotten how to drive. you just can't forget.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.