Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok. So it turns out that I am applying for maths next year at Oxford. I'm not gonna be in college since I just finished it so I am kinda on my own. I don't really feel like I am a good mathematician. i.e. grade 2 STEP I standard bad.

Any ideas as to how I can try to become a better problem solver when it comes to the core maths.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Practice, practice, practice.

Maybe get a tutor?

Just know how to solve problems and then practice over and over.

You will get better.

Good luck anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popa Dom)
    dont worry too much about step, i got straight 3s and have just come out of my 3rd year at oxford with a 2.1. My best advice would be to maybe look at BMO round 1 questions, as some of the ones in interviews are similar to those kinds of questions (maybe find out if they still do the BMO mentoring scheme, they give you a sheet of questions every month and assign you a mentor who you can email for help. 2 of the questions i got in interview were versions of questions i'd done in that).

good luck
    Thanks. I might look at buying a book called 'A primer for mathematics competitions'. It apparently helps much with problem solving and even has some Olympiad questions with answers.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.