Turn on thread page Beta

He kissed someone else, not sure where I stand watch

resolved

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I'm sure it meant nothing, he sounds like he was pretty out of it. Good luck with it all anyway!

ReputationRep:
    A drunken mistake, I wouldn't worry personally.

ReputationRep:
    You are doing the right thing to talk to him about it, if you dont it is going to get in the way with the whole progression of the relationship. It seems maybe he thought that seeing as you are not togther officially that he didnt have to tell you he kissed someone, even though he has said enough to make it very confusing to you, i guess he hoped you wouldnt find out.

Be honest with him about how it makes you feel, and talk to him about it, obviously i hope you can pick your relationship up and maybe actually work out where you both stand and where you are heading.

ReputationRep:
    I was soo aaawww-ing by the end of the second paragraph!

If he was completely off his face, then I wouldn't worry. I am sure we have all been in situations where we did things we really didn't mean when we were completely wasted! I think he sounds like he's been pretty open with you about his feelings for you and that's got to count for something.

Maybe he was so drunk he's forgotten he even "got off" with her in the first place and that's why he hasn't told you?

But yeah, you've got the right idea, you just need to talk to him and see what he has to say for himself. All sounds like a silly mix up to me though.

ReputationRep:
    alcohol always makes people do things like this *shakes head*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikipip)

In my opinion, being drunk is not an excuse for anything.
    I agreeeeeeeeee

ReputationRep:
    Drink isn't an excuse for anything tbh. I know you're not going out, but hypothetically, you can't cheat on your girlfriend and then say, 'don't worry, I was vomit-drunk, it meant nothing'.

Sounds dodgy imo.

Thanks for all of the responses, guys! :hugs: I have to say, I'm a little skeptical about the alcohol aspect- I know people say you have no control when you're that drunk, but I don't think that means whatever happens is completely insignificant, either. I've seen quite a few verbal confrontations between drunken friends, and while people sometimes exaggerate what they'd normally say, they rarely downright lie- it is pretty much always a variation on the truth, unless there's something to be gained through lying. And the same sort of thing can be applied to actions too; while people do things they later regret, I think if you reeeally didn't want to, something might even hold you back at the time. I do accept it's a very grey area though, so I could well be being slightly harsh there!

The open relationship point is interesting, actually. While I don't think he sees it exactly as that, I can only describe what we're doing at the moment as "seeing" each other, which is often where a lot of confusion arises, and questions are raised. At what point do you become exclusive? Is it only after you definitely say to each other that you're in a relationship, or can you expect some commitment already? We've had a few serious talks which touch on the issue, but I think neither of us is that certain as to how to proceed, considering how soon we're leaving. Ahh hopefully we can talk it all over soon. He invited me over this evening, but we're both still a little tired from the party yesterday, so might do something this weekend instead.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should stand up

"Where do I stand?"

ReputationRep:
    Since you weren't properly together and you hadn't established that you liked each other, it wouldn't bother me particularly. There's no harm in bringing it up, but I don't think it's really a big deal.

That said, and maybe this is a bit off-base since you didn't ask for general opinions, I'd be very iffy about the prospect of starting a relationship this close to leaving for uni.

ReputationRep:
    From what I read you weren't a serious, official couple so a drunken kiss shouldn't be taken out of proportion.

ReputationRep:
    If you really want to be with this guy, then definitely have 'the chat' with him and work out where you stand.

If he's been talking about visiting you at uni then he certainly likes you which is a good sign. I do think that in this case, as you weren't a 'proper' couple when he kissed this girl that it's not the be all and end all, if you like this guy then give him another chance. Maybe he is waiting to be told what you want? Maybe he's a bit uncertain about starting something before you both leave?

I think you should get it all out in the open. Worst case scenario is that he'll say he only wants a summer fling really. But the positive to that I guess would be not having to go through the whole LDR thing when at uni. Good luck with it :yy: :hugs:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Personally, when things were at the 'awkward' stage with my boyfriend, if he'd have kissed anybody else I'd have been gutted and probably not gone out with him. This is just my personal feelings though, because by the time we were officially a couple we were already a couple if that makes sense. And we were in a similar situation with regards to University.

I would just sit down and talk to him. If you want things to be exclusive then you need to make things clear, otherwise he might figure you can be a casual thing and get to visit you for a trip... If it was a drunken mistake, and he does want things to exclusive, then it's sorted. Don't go off to Uni not knowing your relationship status. A LDR is difficult enough, even with the security of a relationship

With regards to the drunk thing: I think it's difficult to say there aren't exceptions. For example, the exaggeration thing happens with words and feelings more so than actions. I've been in situations where I haven't been physically in control of myself (before my boyfriend though ) and can see how you wouldn't know what was going on.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.