The Student Room Group

Drop in bf from 24% to 14.5% in just over 2 weeks. What's going on, Medics?

I measured my bodyfat percentage with two different electronic pulse devices a few weeks ago and it was ~24%, and measured it at the gym today with the same devices, same caliberation, and it was 14.5%. Both measurements were done straigt after getting up and drinking about 16oz of tap water.

I've been doing lots of cardio and weights and eating a sensible diet. Nothing drastic. Maybe about 2000 cal a day, 40g of fat, no saturates. So I expected to lose a little bit, but not 10% of my body fat.

However, my body doesn't look much different, and the calipers said I'd only lost half that amount (putting me at 19%).

The only thing I can think is that most of the fat lost has been from my liver. As I said a few weeks ago, I was diagnosed with alcohol induced fatty infiltration of the liver. Basically, it's a benign condition in which fat builds up in the liver and causes it to enlarge. It's the first stage of liver disease and is reversible. As soon as I learnt I had it I gave up the booze and started working out. The upper right quadrnt fullness I had has gone, and I'm wondering if it was possible that the fat loss picked up from the pulse bf machines indicated a reversal of my condition. Needless to say, it won't affect my sobriety if this is the case.
Reply 1
bret
I measured my bodyfat percentage with two different electronic pulse devices a few weeks ago and it was ~24%, and measured it at the gym today with the same devices, same caliberation, and it was 14.5%. Both measurements were done straigt after getting up and drinking about 16oz of tap water.

I've been doing lots of cardio and weights and eating a sensible diet. Nothing drastic. Maybe about 2000 cal a day, 40g of fat, no saturates. So I expected to lose a little bit, but not 10% of my body fat.

However, my body doesn't look much different, and the calipers said I'd only lost half that amount (putting me at 19%).

The only thing I can think is that most of the fat lost has been from my liver. As I said a few weeks ago, I was diagnosed with alcohol induced fatty infiltration of the liver. Basically, it's a benign condition in which fat builds up in the liver and causes it to enlarge. It's the first stage of liver disease and is reversible. As soon as I learnt I had it I gave up the booze and started working out. The upper right quadrnt fullness I had has gone, and I'm wondering if it was possible that the fat loss picked up from the pulse bf machines indicated a reversal of my condition. Needless to say, it won't affect my sobriety if this is the case.

what are you eating?
Reply 2
fxytimi
what are you eating?

Fruit, tuna, lean chicken, veggies. Most of my fat I get from avocados.

If I fry I cook in olive oil, which I think is less than 5% saturated fat.
Reply 3
Those machines are crap. Callipers are a bit better if you do them properly.
Reply 4
bret
Fruit, tuna, lean chicken, veggies. Most of my fat I get from avocados.

If I fry I cook in olive oil, which I think is less than 5% saturated fat.

olive oil-
Saturated fats Palmitic acid: 7.5–20.0%
Stearic acid: 0.5–5.0%
Arachidic acid: <0.8%
Behenic acid: <0.3%
Myristic acid: <0.1%
Lignoceric acid: <1.0%

from wiki.

you are consuming saturated fat; even from lean chicken.
Reply 5
Redefined
Those machines are crap. Callipers are a bit better if you do them properly.

Sure, that's why I always use them as well, but it's funny two machines which measure internal composition determined my bf to be about the same.

I guess I'm just hoping that this is a sign that my liver is reparing itself after all the abuse I put it through.
Reply 6
bret

Just a guess (not medical advice) yes it probably is mainly the liver thing as you mentioned. Assuming all other factors were the same at time of BF measurement and given you say your body doesn't LOOK different and the calipers don't say the same, must be from the liver, right? You have probs lost some body fat as well, though probs mostly it's from the liver.
taking speed?
you dropped your boyfriend :eek:, he must be feeling bad
I thought it was some weirdo talking about the number of boyfriends decreasing in the medic student population >_____< lol.
ues, like you, I would be a little scepical about seeing my body fat drop by nearly a half. Unfortunately for it to be down to your liver, you would need a gynormous liver. Your standard liver is 1-4% of your total body mass so even if you lost the equivalent of your entire livers weight in fat you wouldnt get a loss close to this. I think your problem lies with your measuring devices, though this aint to say youre not going in the right direction - just prehaps not quite as extreme as it might seem!
Reply 11
If you don't look/feel any different ( i presume you're doing it for those reasons) why are you bothering about it?
Reply 12
martin101
ues, like you, I would be a little scepical about seeing my body fat drop by nearly a half. Unfortunately for it to be down to your liver, you would need a gynormous liver. Your standard liver is 1-4% of your total body mass so even if you lost the equivalent of your entire livers weight in fat you wouldnt get a loss close to this. I think your problem lies with your measuring devices, though this aint to say youre not going in the right direction - just prehaps not quite as extreme as it might seem!

Oh, ok. I know the liver has the potential to take in fat, sometimes enlarging to three times its normal volume. Can this happen with other organs, not through alcohol abuse, but just from being overweight? If the fat was internal fat, the callipers wouldn't detect it right? Sorry for being so ill-informed on these matters.
right well calipers dont measure your bodyfat whatsoever so if you deviate from what would be expected its going to be wrong. Youre sort of right in thinking the calipers dont detect internal fat, as they dont, they measure subcutaneous fat and extrapolate to get a total bodyfat, thus just with calipers you wouldnt detect a fatty liver.

Down to your organs - they certainly can accumulate fat around them (this being one of the most severe risks for heart disease, so called visceral fat), but actually inside the organ itself, Im going to hazard a guess (as Im not certain) and say not especially (except in exceptional circumstances), and definately not to the same degree as you would see in a fatty liver where it really is blindingly obvious when you look down a microscope.

Latest

Trending

Trending