Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Insurance for a 17 year old under 1000, Possible??? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

Ive been searching hard but all quotes are at least 1500. Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    Confused.com, apparently.

ReputationRep:
    My quote was a shy under £1500.
    It's life as a 17 YO, M, with 0 years NCB i'm sorry to say

ReputationRep:
    Try Tesco, I got mine for around 1200-ish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .b.l.i.n.k.y.)
    Try Tesco, I got mine for around 1200-ish
    Females are cheaper.

OP you probably won't get too much under 1000.

Try second driver, it may help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockyone2)
    Hey guys

Ive been searching hard but all quotes are at least 1500. Any tips?
    go to direct line with your mum or dad as registered keeper and you as named driver - i'm 18 and i get my insurance for 710 quid - also depends on the car - that's with a 1.3 fiesta - and also your mum and dad have to have no claims - accidents etc

ReputationRep:
    Say it's your mums car but you drive it.
    Or if your dad/mum owns a company, say it's a company car and you work for the company. That makes it very cheap indeed!

ReputationRep:
    the best i can find it 1600 for a nissan micra with direct line. Im not even the named driver lol

ReputationRep:
    its not likely for a 17 year old to pay less than £1000 insurance,just go on confused.com or any price comparison site really

ReputationRep:
    If you're a male you'd be lucky to get that much for a modified trolley.

ReputationRep:
    Very possible.

Go classic.

ReputationRep:
    I was on my dads insurance when i was 17 and my insurance was 680 ish. Had fiesta 1.2, that was with tesco and i was a learner still. Just keep shopping around, if you can afford it up the excess a bit that usually makes it a bit cheaper. deff worth considering just being on someone elses insurance esp with cmpany like direct line bcos if you dont crash for the 3 years and then take out your own policy with them you get a no claims not all insurrance companys give named drivers no claims bonus. Pass plus takes your insurance down aswell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FatboyGinger)
    Or if your dad/mum owns a company, say it's a company car and you work for the company. That makes it very cheap indeed!
    Fronting - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ox/7052569.stm

@OP

Good luck getting insurance for under £1000! It's quite hard but it's possible. Get a classic car

ReputationRep:
    It is my mums car lol she just doesnt use it.

ReputationRep:
    Still, if you drive the car more than she does, then it is fronting and insurance fraud.

I'm male, and my first year of car insurance, with me as the only driver, was £600odd.

Down to £234 now I'm 20. But it'll be up to £400 again as I'm doubling the horsepower soon.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tofufi)
    Still, if you drive the car more than she does, then it is fronting and insurance fraud.

I'm male, and my first year of car insurance, with me as the only driver, was £600odd.

Down to £234 now I'm 20. But it'll be up to £400 again as I'm doubling the horsepower soon.
    How would they even know that?

ReputationRep:
    Then say she does.
    It will be cheaper to insure her as the main driver and you as a named driver, whether she uses it or not.

ReputationRep:
    I was a named driver for £500

ReputationRep:
    Are your parents at an insurance company?

usually 10% off in that case.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.