Turn on thread page Beta

Insurance for a 17 year old under 1000, Possible??? watch

ReputationRep:
    its really expensive for your own insurance at 17 because most people have a few crashes in their first year drivin. I got on my mums insurance for a few hundred pounds but crashed the second time out on my own so it will be expensive next time. Try going on your mums insurance until you got your crashes out the way and get more experience

ReputationRep:
    Im a 17 year old and my dad managed to get me 3rd party,fire and theft for £976!

I cant remember who its with but i can find out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockyone2)
    How would they even know that?
    They are spending quite a bit on spotting people who have crashed and are 'fronting' their car insurance at the moment... because of the money they are losing due to people doing it.

I found on my policy that adding a parent as a second driver didn't change the cost of the policy.

(Original post by FatboyGinger)
    Then say she does.
    It will be cheaper to insure her as the main driver and you as a named driver, whether she uses it or not.
    And it'll still be fraud, and illegal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalB92)
    Im a 17 year old and my dad managed to get me 3rd party,fire and theft for £976!

that would be helpful

ReputationRep:
    Try moneysupermarket.com I got a good deal.

ReputationRep:
    Classic cars FTW! Insured my beetle when I was 17 fully comp for £725.

ReputationRep:
    Some recent quotes for you, all aged 17 in a category B postcode, TPFT only:

Triumph Spitfire - £580 - Peter D James
    MG Midget 1500 - £580 - Peter D James
    MGB GT - £855 - Footman James
    MGB Roadster - £855 - Footman James

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by initiation)
    Classic cars FTW! Insured my beetle when I was 17 fully comp for £725.
    What site? :eek:

But beetles are like 4 grand

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tofufi)
    Still, if you drive the car more than she does, then it is fronting and insurance fraud.

I'm male, and my first year of car insurance, with me as the only driver, was £600odd.

Down to £234 now I'm 20. But it'll be up to £400 again as I'm doubling the horsepower soon.
    What car will you have with the doubled horsepower ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalB92)

Please find out

ReputationRep:
    Cheapest I can get is £1234.44 with Quinn Direct with an old corsa. If anyone got theirs cheaper than this, for pretty much any old banger which won't cost any more than a grand absolute maximum, please tell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casserole At The Keyboard)
    What site? :eek:

But beetles are like 4 grand
    1. Buying a (classic) Beetle can be expensive if you don't know what you are doing and rush into it. Plenty cheap and good quality ones around if you know what to look for.

2. The insurance was with Liverpool and Victoria (rebranded as LV now) but not sure since they rebranded what they do regarding classic cars etc... Past 2 years I have been with Footman James who have drastically reduced my insurance again to £300. (You had to ring up both these companies as their online service did not do quotes for under 25's)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casserole At The Keyboard)
    Cheapest I can get is £1234.44 with Quinn Direct with an old corsa. If anyone got theirs cheaper than this, for pretty much any old banger which won't cost any more than a grand absolute maximum, please tell.
    thats about the same for me with elephant.co.uk for a nissan micra.

those talkin about classics i already have a micra so that is not an option for me.

ReputationRep:
    Not very likely to happen for a 17 yr old male

ReputationRep:
    I'm with A-Plan insurance. They were my cheapest deal but over £1000.

If you look for a car with a smaller engine, your insurance will drop =) Also, taking Pass Plus (roughly costing £100-180) it will help. I think with some companies it lowers it by 30%.

ReputationRep:
    Put the voluntary excess up as high as it will go (£500 plus) that will bring the insurance down a fair bit - but make sure you don't crash!

ReputationRep:
    When I was 17 my insurance was £274 a year. How? I got a motorcycle.

ReputationRep:
    yeh put it in your parents name, I did that although it took them some convincing that my dad wanted to drive the vw polo mainly considering he has a shiny mercedes

ReputationRep:
    If it is under your parents name thats possible, on your own name, no

ReputationRep:
    Just drive without insurance until you're 18. Chances of you getting caught 1/356. Chances of you having accident if you're a competant driver with a full license are low (IF you drive carefully, off motorways/duel carriages]
    Plus you're probably nearly 18 and you wont be driving every single day, £1000s not worth it.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.