Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Insurance for a 17 year old under 1000, Possible??? Watch

ReputationRep:
    can we turn this into a "recommend classic cars for young people" thread, pretty pretty please?

i really cannot decide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShiVji)
    Just drive without insurance until you're 18. Chances of you getting caught 1/356. Chances of you having accident if you're a competant driver with a full license are low (IF you drive carefully, off motorways/duel carriages]
    Plus you're probably nearly 18 and you wont be driving every single day, £1000s not worth it.
    Most stupid advice ever given.

The days of driving without insurance and getting away with it are over, even if you live in the sticks..

Police have too much technology nowadays and are targetting motorists anyway.

Also in regards to fronting, its all ******** scaremongering. Insurance companies are thieving *******s, if you are clever there are a few ways of getting very cheap insurance or driving with insurance (but your not really insured at all.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maximum Velocity)
    What car will you have with the doubled horsepower ?
    Same as Initiation, I drive (drove) a VW Beetle.

Originally it had a 36bhp (I think) engine, the 1641cc engine I've put in it with a few mods should be good for 60, maybe 70bhp

ReputationRep:
    When I was 17 the bill was about £700 on a 1.5 litre convertible.

Footman James was the broker.
    Triumph Spitfire 1500 was the car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casserole At The Keyboard)
    Cheapest I can get is £1234.44 with Quinn Direct with an old corsa. If anyone got theirs cheaper than this, for pretty much any old banger which won't cost any more than a grand absolute maximum, please tell.
    :eek: thats insane! My corsa's an 06, and I'm on fully comp for less than £500. I'm 18 though, but I havent passed my test yet. Direct line ftw!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tofufi)
    Same as Initiation, I drive (drove) a VW Beetle.

Originally it had a 36bhp (I think) engine, the 1641cc engine I've put in it with a few mods should be good for 60, maybe 70bhp
    I thought you meant around 200 BHP. You won't even be able to get to 100MPH

ReputationRep:
    Get a sex change

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pork products)
    Get a sex change
    lool :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patrickthestarfish)
    :eek: thats insane! My corsa's an 06, and I'm on fully comp for less than £500. I'm 18 though, but I havent passed my test yet. Direct line ftw!
    You're a girl! Girls get way cheaper insurance!

Feminists campaign for equal salaries but you don't see them talking about their car insurance!

ReputationRep:
    Impossible.

Coincidentally enough, I was looking at insurance quotes for myself yesterday. I'm 19 (passed since Feb this year), and as a named driver on both Confused.com and Comparethemarket.com I was unable to get a quote any lower for a 1.2 Corsa than £2100 fully comp. I did however find that I could get it down to about £1600 with Third Party, Fire and Theft. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    guys iv found insurance for around 900 from the elephant.co.uk. Both my parents are main drivers though. When asked if i would be using another car aswell I clicked yes so that probably helped.

ReputationRep:
    im 17, tpo insurance is £260
    Spoiler:
    Show
    that is on a bike though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockyone2)
    guys iv found insurance for around 900 from the elephant.co.uk. Both my parents are main drivers though. When asked if i would be using another car aswell I clicked yes so that probably helped.
    But your not telling the truth are you If you get caught they can cancel the insurance if you try to make a claim. What car is it?

ReputationRep:
    Please find out
    Its with www.cheaper4udirect.co.uk

thats where my dad got me 3rd party,fire and theft for £976!

Try it and good luck

ReputationRep:
    Quinns Direst whilst I was learning was very cheap and now mine is just less than £800 fully comp and I am a second driver as my mum uses it occasionly so not too much fronting id say its 65% me 35% her with Tesco. She had 15 years no claims bonus and with Tesco as a second driver i get a NCB built up too so I can use it next year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    But your not telling the truth are you If you get caught they can cancel the insurance if you try to make a claim. What car is it?
    Lol but its not my car doesnt anyone understand. Im just using it to go out occasionally jheeze. and its a missan micra k11

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockyone2)
    Lol but its not my car doesnt anyone understand. Im just using it to go out occasionally jheeze. and its a missan micra k11
    That's fine then if you are not using it more than the names driver.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShiVji)
    Just drive without insurance until you're 18. Chances of you getting caught 1/356. Chances of you having accident if you're a competant driver with a full license are low (IF you drive carefully, off motorways/duel carriages]
    Plus you're probably nearly 18 and you wont be driving every single day, £1000s not worth it.
    That's idiotic advice, I do hope nobody listens to you at all. You'll have great fun if you cause an accident and thus the death of another motorist, I'd rather not be leveed with the cost of compensation.

Classic is about the only way to do it, but a lot of the time that is paired with increased running costs, thus balencing it out to a degree.

ReputationRep:
    lol kwik fit

ReputationRep:
    You're a girl! Girls get way cheaper insurance!

Feminists campaign for equal salaries but you don't see them talking about their car insurance!
    Then you might want to persuade the rest of your gender to cut down on the recklessness!

That's rather crazy that since I'm a girl, my insurance is less than half of what it would be if I was a guy!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.