Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Insurance for a 17 year old under 1000, Possible??? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patrickthestarfish)
    Then you might want to persuade the rest of your gender to cut down on the recklessness!

That's rather crazy that since I'm a girl, my insurance is less than half of what it would be if I was a guy!
    That is sexism! you having cheaper car insurance is also sexism! Germaine Greer is hopefully seeing this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casserole At The Keyboard)
    That is sexism! you having cheaper car insurance is also sexism! Germaine Greer is hopefully seeing this.
    Though is it necessarily any more discriminatory than not betting on a three legged horse to win the grand national.

Blokes crash cars, fact of life, why should women have to pay for it?

ReputationRep:
    £1000.05 exactly for 17 year old girl with father and mother both with no claims bonus of 5years+ additional drivers. diamond.
    but it depend son the car you see so you need to think about whether your fast turbo/pretty/modified etc etc car is worth it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    Though is it necessarily any more discriminatory than not betting on a three legged horse to win the grand national.

Blokes crash cars, fact of life, why should women have to pay for it?
    There is no correlation either way, if you can show me any sound evidence for this then please share.

Although yes, most chavs in town centres are usually male, so that will contribute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casserole At The Keyboard)
    There is no correlation either way, if you can show me any sound evidence for this then please share.

Although yes, most chavs in town centres are usually male, so that will contribute.
    http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&q=c...y+gender&hl=en

ReputationRep:
    Quinn Direct, cost me something like £800 as an 18 year old male [at the time], with 0 years no claims etc.

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't really prove anything either way about gender, just highlights that a very small percentage of drivers cause everyone else's insurance to go up in price. The reason male car insurance prices suffer more can easily be put down to a stereotypical view of men as boy racers in the media. But this is off topic.

Anyone else know of a site better than Quinn-Direct? And would anyone recommend not driving for a year as the quote actually goes down a couple of hundred? Just I'm worried about 'forgetting how to drive'.

ReputationRep:
    My sister is 16 and pays $100 on a BMW 335 Convertible but then she's in the US and on a family policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord_Farquad)
    My sister is 16 and pays $100 on a BMW 335 Convertible but then she's in the US and on a family policy.
    That's like 50 Quid!!

Think I'll move there

ReputationRep:
    I got my quote for £700 and a bit. £917 with my mum and dad on the policy too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScottD)
    I got my quote for £700 and a bit. £917 with my mum and dad on the policy too.
    what company? how old are you if u dont mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maximum Velocity)
    I thought you meant around 200 BHP. You won't even be able to get to 100MPH
    Wanna bet?

My van, which has a smaller engine, 50bhp when new (38 years ago) will hit 80 mph on the motorway... and that weighs almost twice as much as the Beetle...

70bhp in my Beetle, which weighs 730kg is equivalent to having 140bhp in a large family saloon/estate car...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockyone2)
    what company? how old are you if u dont mind me asking?
    Im sure it was Admiral. I'm 17, passed my test 2 months on monday. An insurance compaines worst nightmare!:mad:

My dad did say he had a multi-car thing. My sister's car and his car were also insured with the company bringing the quote down alittle. However, he got a quote for his BMW 735i (2002 model) for about £180 with points on his license. Worth getting a quote from them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockyone2)
    lool :eek:
    Yep the best way to save money on your insurance is to chop your **** off

ReputationRep:
    Go classic.

ReputationRep:
    *Have your parents as named drivers
    *do pass plus
    *have an undesirable car that no one wants as your first car
    These should help bring it down a bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    *Have your parents as named drivers
    *do pass plus
    *have an undesirable car that no one wants as your first car
    These should help bring it down a bit

haha i have an undesirable first car a 1998 citroen xsara diesel in green oh how i hate it!

the guy at the insurance company actually said because it has no cool factor and the chances of me using it wrecklessly are low that knocked £57 off my insurance.

thats with www.cheaper4udirect.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalB92)
    haha i have an undesirable first car a 1998 citroen xsara diesel in green oh how i hate it!

the guy at the insurance company actually said because it has no cool factor and the chances of me using it wrecklessly are low that knocked £57 off my insurance.

thats with www.cheaper4udirect.co.uk
    If you don't mind me asking, how much was your quote?

ReputationRep:
    My insurance when I first started was around 900 I think. That was a 1.1 litre N reg ford fiesta, I was the named driver & there were no 2nd drivers on it or anything. That was with direct line, and we had our other cars with them so that made it a little cheaper I think.

I've now got a years no claims, 1.0 litre T reg nissan micra...and it's 650ish

ReputationRep:
    Tescos mine at 18 on a sportka(1.6) would be around 800

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.