Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Insurance for a 17 year old under 1000, Possible??? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longorefisher)
    If you don't mind me asking, how much was your quote?

£976 quite expensive but better than £2300.50 from saber lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalB92)
    £976 quite expensive but better than £2300.50 from saber lol
    lol that is very very cheap - esp. if you're male and 17 with no NCB!!

I wonder, is the best advice NOT to use price comparison websites. There seems to be more offers available if you actually go to each company's website (i.e. Swinton offers £40 cashback and 25% off but you must not go through a price comparison website - Direct line offers 52 days free insurance but no price comparison website)

ReputationRep:
    how the hell do you guys manage cheaper insurance? i tried over 5 different cars and the lowest i keep getting is 2300

ReputationRep:
    Car/Age?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longorefisher)
    lol that is very very cheap - esp. if you're male and 17 with no NCB!!

I wonder, is the best advice NOT to use price comparison websites. There seems to be more offers available if you actually go to each company's website (i.e. Swinton offers £40 cashback and 25% off but you must not go through a price comparison website - Direct line offers 52 days free insurance but no price comparison website)

yes iam male and iam 17 and i was gobsmaked when i was told the price was as low as £976!!

goes to show if you really spend time looking for the best deal you will find it

ReputationRep:
    im 18 years of age and with no no claims discount i have insurance for £647 fully comp!!! Just put your parent as a main driver and you as a named driver. the main driver puts how many miles are gonna be used overall and yet it doesn't ask how many will be used my the named driver. Also as a named driver you can build up your no claims discount. Also he vehicle i was insuring was a 1.4 clio 10 years old. hope this helps!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSteed24)
    go to direct line with your mum or dad as registered keeper and you as named driver - i'm 18 and i get my insurance for 710 quid - also depends on the car - that's with a 1.3 fiesta - and also your mum and dad have to have no claims - accidents etc
    i know this is over a year old but you're still a ******* for doing this. it's illegal and makes it more expensive for everyone else you tool.

(Original post by tobie123)
    its really expensive for your own insurance at 17 because most people have a few crashes in their first year drivin. I got on my mums insurance for a few hundred pounds but crashed the second time out on my own so it will be expensive next time. Try going on your mums insurance until you got your crashes out the way and get more experience
    same goes for you!

(Original post by wootwootwoot)
    yeh put it in your parents name, I did that although it took them some convincing that my dad wanted to drive the vw polo mainly considering he has a shiny mercedes
    and you.

(Original post by MaccyG)
    Quinns Direst whilst I was learning was very cheap and now mine is just less than £800 fully comp and I am a second driver as my mum uses it occasionly so not too much fronting id say its 65% me 35% her with Tesco. She had 15 years no claims bonus and with Tesco as a second driver i get a NCB built up too so I can use it next year
    'not too much fronting'? it either is or isn't. you're using it more than her, therefore you are fronting and a ****.

(Original post by bezza1992)
    im 18 years of age and with no no claims discount i have insurance for £647 fully comp!!! Just put your parent as a main driver and you as a named driver. the main driver puts how many miles are gonna be used overall and yet it doesn't ask how many will be used my the named driver. Also as a named driver you can build up your no claims discount. Also he vehicle i was insuring was a 1.4 clio 10 years old. hope this helps!!!
    oh wow, even after a year people still haven't learn that this marks you out as a complete tosser!

if you lie to your insurance company they will do their very best (and they are very good at it) to reclaim any money that you've cost them. you are seriously ****ing yourself over if you get caught (which i really hope you all do).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furry747)
    My quote was a shy under £1500.
    It's life as a 17 YO, M, with 0 years NCB i'm sorry to say
    Exactly

ReputationRep:
    Which company
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I was quoted £1600 with a black box for a 1.2 2012 car, so not toooooo bad really. Ended up getting back £126 over the year for my driving style. Now I'm 18 and in my 2nd year of driving and was quoted under 50% of my first quote with them . (ingenie)

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17 and I own a Ford Fiesta 1.25 and my insurance is only £680 a year. This is with Tesco box. However, do not go with them if you do not want a black box fitted in your car as speeding etc can lead to paying out large sums.

ReputationRep:
    Best I found was around £850 until I turned 20. Prices are RIDICULOUS at a young age. How do they expect people to have apprenticeship/out-of-school jobs and still have to pay over £10,000+ a year for insurance?!

Don't worry - as soon as I turned 20, I started finding offers at £180-200/mo.

EDIT - all these responses of <£2500/annual are really good deals, I never saw anything even close to that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.