Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok ive been pretty much convinced to mainly use freeweights, and i definitely find them much more effective, now the gym (my school gym) that i currently use has only dumbells, obviously this makes squatting and deadlifting much harder (i am on the WW4SB) however my real question is about benching - i haven't benched with a bar for over a year and i can bench around 30kg dumbells (one in each hand) now everyone tells me that dumbells are much harder to bench press because of balance, but then i tried using a bar today at my friends gym and found that i was all over the place and could barely lift 60kg (including bar) - is this simply because i am used to dumbells or is there some form of balance muscles that i miss out by using dumbells.
    ANd finally, the reason i wrote this, do you think it is worth paying an extra 20 quid a month to get the better facilitys of better weights with bars and everything

ReputationRep:
    I would say it's because you're used to using dumb bells. I too only use dumb bells for benching and when I try using a barbell I find it really wobbley and more difficult to lift.

ReputationRep:
    Dumbbells and barbells use different lines, when you get used to it you will lift more on a barbell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by busbybabe)
    Ok ive been pretty much convinced to mainly use freeweights, and i definitely find them much more effective, now the gym (my school gym) that i currently use has only dumbells, obviously this makes squatting and deadlifting much harder (i am on the WW4SB) however my real question is about benching - i haven't benched with a bar for over a year and i can bench around 30kg dumbells (one in each hand) now everyone tells me that dumbells are much harder to bench press because of balance, but then i tried using a bar today at my friends gym and found that i was all over the place and could barely lift 60kg (including bar) - is this simply because i am used to dumbells or is there some form of balance muscles that i miss out by using dumbells.
    ANd finally, the reason i wrote this, do you think it is worth paying an extra 20 quid a month to get the better facilitys of better weights with bars and everything
    Since your school gym doesn't have barbells for benching, I assume it doesn't have a squat rack. Given that, I'd definitely pay £20 to use a better gym (£20 a month is good value if it's well equipped!).

ReputationRep:
    I think you do need a variety, especially over time... and i do stick to barbell press as one of my main exercises, although when I go heavy on dumbell press I personally find it very effective as I can lower the dumbells further than i can a barbell and I get a more effective stretch in the chest...

Although as above says, £20 a month is really good value and when it comes to other exercises your gonna need the barbells aswell

ReputationRep:
    Yeah 60 BB is low compared to 30 DBs. It will get higher as you get used to it, barbell always = more weight, as you get used to it.

Just use both

ReputationRep:
    holdon , just to add, i already pay 28 pounds a month for my school gym outside school hours, so that would make it 50 quid for this, its not a £20 gym unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by busbybabe)
    holdon , just to add, i already pay 28 pounds a month for my school gym outside school hours, so that would make it 50 quid for this, its not a £20 gym unfortunately
    Well I guess it depends how much money you have. If it's possible, I'd go to the better gym and stop going to the school one. If money's tight, make do with what you've got. FWIW, I probably wouldn't pay £50 for a gym (but then, I'm not in London).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.