Turn on thread page Beta

Exchange year in Hong Kong - UK or HK bank account, or what else? watch

    • Thread Starter

    Hi all, in a couple of weeks ill be leaving for Hong Kong as a study abroad student (for the whole academic year), and im trying to explore what form of finance to have for day-to-day living. Ill be transferring my student loan as its paid in the three installments, so what form will be best for me in terms of good exchange rates and fees when transferring GBP to HKD, and free withdrawals actually in HK?

    Most of the UK banks offer good deals, such as free withdrawals and the like, but they are premium accounts for high earners/savers. Is there anything suitable for a student, or better yet tailored specfically towards an exchange student abroad? If not, i guess the best option will be to get a local (ie in Hong Kong) HSBC bank account and debit card, and hope the charges will be relatively low if i transfer the money from my mums UK HSBC bank account.

    any thoughts much appreciated.

    HSBC are the ones that spring to mind - maybe you could pop down your local branch in the UK and see what they have to say?


students online now


Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.