Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What's Your Opinion of Ronnie Biggs? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I actually think the guy has lived an extraordinary lifestyle. Sex pistols even done a track with him!

The robbery was wrong, but his escape, and the way he lived for 3 decades after that was pretty awesome.

He's became somewhat of a celebrity.

ReputationRep:
    He's a legend

ReputationRep:
    He wasn't so great if he only did one robbery and got caught.

ReputationRep:
    Being released from prison isn't that much of a victory for him , he hasn't got much longer to live and any sort of life he's currently living is being severley limited by his disabilities. I think I watched a documentary on him a few years back , pretty interesting .

ReputationRep:
    Legend.

ReputationRep:
    Its a bit weird the way they reported it.. Ronnie biggs 'wins' freedom..
    What?

He is dying in hospital, they might aswell not release him as he would be in the hospital even in their custody... its mostly symbolic i think

ReputationRep:
    He's a complete ******, the robbery was taking the publics money.

Didn't they also kill someone?

Biggs, never showed any remorse for him or for the fact he and his entire family lived like fat cats while the UK government had to replace the money.

So the tax paying public paid for his lifestyle and he couldn't even feel remorse for someone who died.

I think they should have let him die in prison, what did he do to be given a break?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greghouse)
    He's a complete ******, the robbery was taking the publics money.

Biggs, never showed any remorse for him or for the fact he and his entire family lived like fat cats while the UK government had to replace the money.

So the tax paying public paid for his lifestyle and he couldn't even feel remorse for someone who died.

I think they should have let him die in prison, what did he do to be given a break?
    Nobody died. Read the facts before you make a statement like that.

Biggs is a legend. He stuck his fingers up to the justice system for 3 decades.

You sound as if you're quoting crap from the media.

He served 7 years. His pals served a similar sentence. He's done his time, he should be left to be with his family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cascadingstylez)

He served 7 years. His pals served a similar sentence. He's done his time, he should be left to be with his family.
    It wasn't a statment it was a question.

Have looked it up and the guy I was talking about was called Jack Mills and you are correct he didn't die.

They just beat him up with a iron bar. Apparently it was buster Edwards. Mills apparently had to live the rest of his life with constant trauma headaches ... Nice ... What a ******* hero!

And sticking his figers up to the justice system for 3 years is a good thing? Do tell me you'd fee the same if he was a rapist or a murderer? Where do you draw the line?

As for his "pal" serving similar sentances, maybe his was extended because he never gave any of the money back nor did he ever repent and his sentance may have been extended because he broke out the first time around and went on the run ...

ReputationRep:

So grand theft is alright? Good to know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greghouse)
    The train driver died several year later of leukemia, which was nothing to do with the robbery.

I think Biggs was being made an example of, if he had repented he would have been released years ago. He is still nevertheless a criminal, but his 30 year sentence was excessive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeeDub)
    The train driver died several year later of leukemia, which was nothing to do with the robbery.

I think Biggs was being made an example of, if he had repented he would have been released years ago. He is still nevertheless a criminal, but his 30 year sentence was excessive.

Ya, I did ask it as a question but looked it up and posted a correction later ...

Thing is he not only went on the run, he lived off the money he stole and when that ran out because he spunked it all away on ****, he then decided to profit from his crime.

Not only did he not repent but he actually reveled in it ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    So grand theft is alright? Good to know.
    Either way, Biggs did what most people wouldn't. He got caught, broke out of jail, and then done one to Brazil, laughing at everyone.

I said originally, the robbery was not right, but how he lived the past 30 years is amazing.

I'm a huge fan of The Krays, so maybe my opinion leans towards the criminals.

And to the other poster. He was not a rapist, he did not murder. If he was either of those, my view would be different. Robbery is on a different scale to murder.

Someone mentioned about tax payers money? So what? Our Government blows money left right and center on waste. The expenses claims and the related scandals only go to show for that.

Biggs stole money, and provided the world with entertainment for the past decades. Money well spent when you compare it to the useless crap our government waste it on.

ReputationRep:

He hasn't served his time. Furthermore a justice system cannot be taken seriously if people are to be kauded for 'sticking two fingers' up at it. My opinion of Biggs is neither here not there, he is/was (delet as appropriate if this is repeate on Dave) a tit, the real issue is that the Home Secretary still has the power to decide the length of certain peoples prison sentence.

ReputationRep:
    Either way, Biggs did what most people wouldn't. He got caught, broke out of jail, and then done one to Brazil, laughing at everyone.

I said originally, the robbery was not right, but how he lived the past 30 years is amazing.

And to the other poster. He was not a rapist, he did not murder. If he was either of those, my view would be different. Robbery is on a different scale to murder.

Someone mentioned about tax payers money? So what? Our Government blows money left right and center on waste. The expenses claims and the related scandals only go to show for that.

Biggs stole money, and provided the world with entertainment for the past decades. Money well spent when you compare it to the useless crap our government waste it on.
    I'm not sure what you thought Biggs did to entertain the world :confused:. Plus, praising someone because they did what most people won't seems odd - my little nephew defecated in his nappy this morning but we certainly didn't get out the brass band.

ReputationRep:

So if criminals are entertaining they should be set free?

More brilliant logic.

ReputationRep:
    Why twist what I'm saying? Did I say that? No.

He served his time, regardless of whether or not the money was paid back. If he didn't serve his time, Jack Straw would have him banged up still. Mr. Straw isn't one to sympathize.

In my past I was a criminal. If I had the chance to steal millions and possibly get away with it, hell yeah, I'd do it.

Remorse or no remorse, the bloke served his time.

My opinion is: Biggs is a legend. Simple as that. That's my opinion. Instead of wasting your time questioning mine, state yours.

ReputationRep:
    Why twist what I'm saying? Did I say that? No.

He served his time, regardless of whether or not the money was paid back. If he didn't serve his time, Jack Straw would have him banged up still. Mr. Straw isn't one to sympathize.

In my past I was a criminal. If I had the chance to steal millions and possibly get away with it, hell yeah, I'd do it.

Remorse or no remorse, the bloke served his time.

My opinion is: Biggs is a legend. Simple as that. That's my opinion. Instead of wasting your time questioning mine, state yours.
    He didn't serve his time - that's why Straw refused early release only a few weeks ago. he has now been let out on compassionate grounds, not because he has shown remorse or is deemed to have be rehabilitated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    He didn't serve his time - that's why Straw refused early release only a few weeks ago. he has now been let out on compassionate grounds, not because he has shown remorse or is deemed to have be rehabilitated.
    BS!

So why not let the Hindleys out on the same grounds? (sarcastic comment). My cousin is in prison for armed robbery, they didn't let him out after 4 years to go to my uncles funeral.

Jack Straw took a second look at Biggs and chose to release him. Meaning, he served his time.

ReputationRep:
    BS!

So why not let the Hindleys out on the same grounds? (sarcastic comment). My cousin is in prison for armed robbery, they didn't let him out after 4 years to go to my uncles funeral.

Jack Straw took a second look at Biggs and chose to release him. Meaning, he served his time.
    Because the grounds have to be strong enough - leaving prison to die ranks high up there. AND REMEMBER THAT JACK STRAW REFUSED TO RELEAS EHIM ONLY A FEW WEEKS AGO. It's all very well saying BS but you should probably look at the facts. Lets not also forget he is being released under the supervision of the probation service, that's not freedom.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.