Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Theory Test > Query watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How much did you revise for your car theory test? (i.e. estimate number of hours)

Also, any recommendable websites for me to practice online?

Cheers. Much appreciated.

(tips and advice also welcome)

ReputationRep:
    hey.........i personally revised for the theory for a total of probably 10hours......or around that at least....most of it was reading the highway code which is really useful!.....but i seriously recommend you invest in one of the official approved cd-roms going around (there are a few) cos they are very helpful in assesing your weak areas but more importantly give you well needed practice in the hazard perception department! ......just relax when you doing the test and be postive...i say this cos i swear when i did it i was going to fail and when i received the slip and it said i passed it just goes to prove that at the end of the day common sense will pull you through, aswell as some knowledge! ....good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SK-mar)
    hey.........i personally revised for the theory for a total of probably 10hours......or around that at least....most of it was reading the highway code which is really useful!.....but i seriously recommend you invest in one of the official approved cd-roms going around (there are a few) cos they are very helpful in assesing your weak areas but more importantly give you well needed practice in the hazard perception department! ......just relax when you doing the test and be postive...i say this cos i swear when i did it i was going to fail and when i received the slip and it said i passed it just goes to prove that at the end of the day common sense will pull you through, aswell as some knowledge! ....good luck
    Hey mate, thanks for answering.

Yeah I've got the official updated CD and the book. The CD-roms are really helpfu and I use that the most, and the book has loads of mock questions. I just wanted a rough indication of how much time I needed to dedicate to revising.

Oh and thanks for the advice and tip - much appreciated. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SK-mar)
    This is spot on! Around 10 hours and read the whole Highway code and do practice HP tests and you're set.... I did mine yesterday and passed first time so it's not hard, it's all just how much you know and can remember

I just did practise tests until I was consistently getting above the pass mark in each section. If you get the Driving Test Success DVD they have literally all the MCQ you'll see in the real thing and really good practise videos for the HP part. I highly recommend getting that DVD; I managed 50/50 on the MCQ and 65/75 on the HP on the test.

ReputationRep:
    The best advice I can give is to practice the theory until it becomes easy and you're getting full marks (or almost full marks) every time. As for Hazard Perception, you'll never get it perfect, but the more you practice the better.

ReputationRep:
    Visiting http://plymouth.theorytestpro.co.uk
    with your details and a library card number such as FFF31235812345 should get you another place that you can practice online...

ReputationRep:
    Didnt even read the highway way code. I got a book that had all the questions they could ask for the year and kinda mad sure i knew the answers. I reckon its easier this way and i got 50/50 and 68/75 so didnt do too bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceCold91)
    Didnt even read the highway way code. I got a book that had all the questions they could ask for the year and kinda mad sure i knew the answers. I reckon its easier this way and i got 50/50 and 68/75 so didnt do too bad
    Yeah I havent been reading it - I been doing same method as you did and it seems to do the trick.

But I think I'll go over the highway code now just for my minds sake - as several people have mentioned it.

(Original post by CrazyChris)
    Visiting http://plymouth.theorytestpro.co.uk
    with your details and a library card number such as FFF31235812345 should get you another place that you can practice online...
    Ah thanks mate - I been checking the site out and it looks very useful and helpful.

Cheers for the 'link'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .:excel4100%:.)
    This is spot on! Around 10 hours and read the whole Highway code and do practice HP tests and you're set.... I did mine yesterday and passed first time so it's not hard, it's all just how much you know and can remember
    haha thanks.......yeh this is pretty much it but just remember that we're all different so as long as your passing the practice tests it doesnt matter how much time you take....some ppl 2hours others 50hours lol....but yeh most ppl around 10......you sound well prepared already so my guess is you (as in qwerty) wont take too long at all!.....good luck

ReputationRep:
    http://www.driving-test-success.com/...heory_test.htm

Thats the site I used, didn't read the highway code or anything, just that.

ReputationRep:
    I did a couple of hours of mock tests - I never read the Highway Code. Basically went over the questions again and again, and asked my mum if I didn't know anything. The hazard perceptions I did a few times, but my disk only had a few of them, so ended up remembering them which was useless.
    Passed on Wednesday with 96% on the questions and 88% on the hazard perception.

ReputationRep:
    What I did was buy the thoery test book with the entire question bank in it. I read it and got 100% in the mulitple test part (Unless you are stuck in a place where you can only watch TV you probably will just want to read some of the questions from each section). I did about 3-5 hours I'd say on the practice hazard perception tests on a CD I bought. I think there are 2 official tests you can do online free.

ReputationRep:
    did it within two days, searched for practice theories on google, they were good links
    do lots of these practice ones, cos some of the exact same questions did come up on the test
    even tho i just passed the multiple choice bit, its still a pass

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for the input. Much appreciated.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 8, 2009
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.