Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    You can be a quiet thinker, but you have to be able to communicate well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Unfortunately, many medical schools seem to be favouring tangible academic qualifications over real skills and so being 'not very talkative' is less of a handicap than it used to be.

You'd better get over it real ******* quick though.

:mad:
    I always go searching for Renal posts in every thread :p: Always brings a smile to my face

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
    OP, could apply to one of those medical schools that do not interview...

which I vehemently disagree with.
    Same...I was very disappointed that Glasgow gave some offers without interview this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    As long as you communicate appropriately in an interview setting you will have a decent shot. Interviewers don't want babblers but equally trying to get blood out of a stone can be tiresome.
    Eh I babble when I'm nevous. Sadly not about anything that makes sense either. Sometimes I can hear myself and I just think wtf am I talking about?

Must get over the babbling problem.

Apparently if you slow your talking down it helps, because it might sound slow to you but thats only because you want to talk fast?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ......)
    I was wondering if I'd be at a disadvantage, being more of an introverted person (as opposed to the outgoing medical applicants), of getting into med school. Do interviewers look for the more expressive and extroverted type?
    Lol just make an effort to talk confidently at interview.

ReputationRep:
    tbf, the interviews arent designed to be testing, and it really doesnt make a difference if they interview you or not as long as they can find out you are a real bonafide applicant who will stay with them (the university) for 5 years.
    wif that in mind, southampton and glasgow arent really doing any wrong (from their point of view). The Apprentice, it aint, getting into med school is much lower tier than that.

it feels unfair to us when we get rejected by them, but thats partially becos we ave a misrepresented view of the competition and application procedures, and also becos essentially to get our arses into making an appication we ave to go out and do fings, which requires an excercise in ego when you ave far better fings to be doing when you are 17. And when ego is 'urt, we get irrationally angry.

talking, as you would in a discussion wif a friend, would be enough.
    comm skills can be gained during the course if necessary, they would argue.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have thought it would be that much of an issue, as long as you don't sit and say nothing!

Just make sure that you communicate your points well and in a systematic fashion and logical fashion....don't go off on tangents and make sure that you back up everything you say about yourself with evidence

Also be sure to actually answer the interviewers' questions and not to just regurgitate ready made answers to a different question, in fact i would advise against memorising any answers at all.....And if you can't answer a question just say so!!!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what you mean by 'not very talkative'. If you mean someone who (like me) will quite happily talk to people if you have something to say or if asked something but doesnt see the need for small talk and prefers to listen to other people - then i shouldnt think there'll be a problem. However if you mean someone who is cripplingly shy and cant/wont talk to people even if they need to then that could be difficult.

I'm quite introverted and dont really get the idea of talking for the sake of talking. In my med intervews I didnt have a problem, because I was talking in response to a question. In my work as a physio assistant I dont have a problem because I'm talking to the patient about their medical issues etc, not about their last holiday or the weather!

ReputationRep:
    Humm if you want to do something then you'll find a way of talking. If your applying then you must feel confident enough anyway so just go with that.
    I dont agree with all of this interview practice malarky. Pre-meditated ********!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meltdown30)
    Same...I was very disappointed that Glasgow gave some offers without interview this year.
    :lolwut: I didn't know that. Did they do it through clearing or where they people who where knocked back sans interview?

How very odd!

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut: I didn't know that. Did they do it through clearing or where they people who where knocked back sans interview?

How very odd!
    Nope, it was before they gave offers to people that had been interviewed. I can't remember the statistics but it was a decent proportion of all the offers!

I think part of their reasoning was that they didn't have time to interview everyone (the university semesterised the year this year, which screwed up medicine timetables a bit, causing a lot of work) but it seemed that it was something they planned to continue with. (I heard this over on NMM, not from the med school itself.)

In my year, quite a few people got offers on results day but they'd been rejected after interview. They didn't give out enough offers (whereas they gave out too many the year before and were over-subscribed!)

ReputationRep:
    :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Nope, it was before they gave offers to people that had been interviewed. I can't remember the statistics but it was a decent proportion of all the offers!

In my year, quite a few people got offers on results day but they'd been rejected after interview. They didn't give out enough offers (whereas they gave out too many the year before and were over-subscribed!)
    So, they saw people with 5A's etc and thought;"We'll have them!". Absolutely ridiculous. Glasgow of all places should be one for ensuring that applicants have good patter.

I think the same is quite common for a few of the Scottish Universities. I've certainly heard of Dundee and Aberdeen offering places to people they had rejected or to those who had missed their offer. Not a bad thing at all. Most of those people go on to do well.

:ninja2:

ReputationRep:
    sorry- but OP, having a big gob does NOT give you an advantage

ReputationRep:
    So, they saw people with 5A's etc and thought;"We'll have them!". Absolutely ridiculous. Glasgow of all places should be one for ensuring that applicants have good patter.
    Having noting to do with admissions, I don't know how much grades are involved. They're starting to use the UKCAT more, so that might play a part (even though my personal opinion is that it's a total joke.) We were emailed and asked to give permission for our UKCAT scores and subsequent medical school grades to be used to monitor the usefulness of it.

There are people in my year that make me wonder how on earth they got through an interview though! I felt my own interview went really badly and there was no way I was going to get in!

ReputationRep:
    (even though my personal opinion is that it's a total joke.)
    I agree, my brother took it again with no preparation a year later and improved by 150 (or around that region) which is apparently not supposed to happen.

We were emailed and asked to give permission for our UKCAT scores and subsequent medical school grades to be used to monitor the usefulness of it.
    I think it would be interesting to see how the results pan out.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, my brother took it again with no preparation a year later and improved by 150 (or around that region) which is apparently not supposed to happen.

I think it would be interesting to see how the results pan out.
    Tis true TLP - I pumped it into oblivion!

ReputationRep:
    You're less likely to come off as an arrogant, self-absorbed individual.

ReputationRep:
    Heck no. I'm not very talkative either but if the situation requires me to talk I will. They are looking for doctors, not great orators. I am usually seen as the 'quiet' within my group of friends, but its been like that for ages so i cant really be any different. However. in new situations I find I can talk to people, and actually enjoy their company. At interviews, contrary to what outsiders may think, I do alot of talking lol. However if you dont really enjoy talking and it shows, it may come across as rude to the patient, you have to develop a rapport with them. As madprof mentioned, make sure that you will be comfortable with patient contact. So its good to strike a balance, between being not talkative, and being a friendly figure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dances_with_lamposts)
    It depends on what you mean by 'not very talkative'. If you mean someone who (like me) will quite happily talk to people if you have something to say or if asked something but doesnt see the need for small talk and prefers to listen to other people - then i shouldnt think there'll be a problem.
    You pretty much summed it up :grin:

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.