Turn on thread page Beta

Are 'not very talkative people' at a disadvantage? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    As long as you communicate appropriately in an interview setting you will have a decent shot. Interviewers don't want babblers but equally trying to get blood out of a stone can be tiresome.

I'm really worried about interviews have you had any experience?

(Original post by alexis 123)
    I'm really worried about interviews have you had any experience?
    Just four for med school There are others on here that have participated in interviewing prospective med school students.

What worries you?

ReputationRep:
    Interviews are a two part process. For medschools, they are filters for the "Mad, Bad and Sad" (As one old-school selector put it to me once) and for candidates they are a chance to put forward their argument about why they are the best choice for the place and the school should reject a bunch of others.

Which gives you two jobs: Appear to be a normal functional human being for up to half an hour. God knows I find this difficult enough at the best of times, but it can be done. Whilst doing this, use your brain to respond to the question given. Consider all the difficult bits of your application and CV which might be challenged, like choice of previous degree, work experience, any periods of unemployment, whatever, beforehand so you know how best to present them but don't turn on the mental taperecorder and play back rehearsed answers. Also consider all the bits of your application that you want to emphasis and think would make you the killer candidate and make sure you can get those points across, but again avoiding just spurting out nonsense without context. And before anything else, remember basic manners and politeness, because nothing else will get you rejected faster.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you to whoever repped me for my post earlier on - leave a message and your name next time so i can thank you properly.

ReputationRep:
    hehehe

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2009

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.