Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok sorry I do not know where to post this but...

I made an online purchase a couple of days ago and yesterday i went to check my balance and noticed that in my account I have less money than I should.
    So then I came to the realisation that the purchase i made went through twice, as when I used the website the first time i tried to make a payment the website said there was an error.

I called the bank today and the bank confirmed that there are two purchases from the company That i claimed charged me twice, the bank told me to ring the company as it is their responsibility.

So I rung the company and they told me they will get back to me. now i just got an email from the company saying there has not been a double payment as it is not possible and I should contact the bank.

This is really making me angry as the bank has told me it is the company's responsibility!

So what should I do, I really need that money :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Call your bank and get a statement sent through ASAP (do you have online?). Go into the branch maybe? Get them to stamp it if you go into the branch.

Then forward this to the company and advise them to check their banking records.

ReputationRep:
    Get an itemised billing. Then you'll see exactly what happened and who is to blame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Get an itemised billing. Then you'll see exactly what happened and who is to blame.
    The guy on the left side of your sig ofcourse!

ReputationRep:
    its not the banks problem im afraid.

The bank should sort it out if it is a visa debit card - I've had this issue and just disputed the second of the two transactions. The amount was credited to my account and I never heard anything more about it.

ReputationRep:
    That shouldn't even be happening!

I had the same thing, I got charged double and saw it on my statement. However, my bank noticed this and cancelled one of the double payments so I didn't have to do anything but wait to the next day..

Your bank is supposed to help you!

Is the company willing to help you get your money back?

If you can get your statement (all sensitive details blanked out) to be send to the company, will they check it out and refund you?

I'm sorry that I'm not much help but your bank was supposed to prevent the other payment going through if the exact same amount and almost at the same time was going to be paid out to the same company.

But my item was from Tesco's.. First time didn't go through, second time it did.. Then the same amount etc was on my statement but my bank automatically cancelled one of them.. I think because Tesco didn't collect payment so quickly?

Good luck. Hope all works out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playa_h8r)

I made an online purchase a couple of days ago and yesterday i went to check my balance and noticed that in my account I have less money than I should.
    So then I came to the realisation that the purchase i made went through twice, as when I used the website the first time i tried to make a payment the website said there was an error.

I called the bank today and the bank confirmed that there are two purchases from the company That i claimed charged me twice, the bank told me to ring the company as it is their responsibility.

So I rung the company and they told me they will get back to me. now i just got an email from the company saying there has not been a double payment as it is not possible and I should contact the bank.

This is really making me angry as the bank has told me it is the company's responsibility!

It's called a ghost transaction, which basically means that the funds are set aside because somewhere between the company and the bank two authorisation codes were given. The company will have claimed for one and the other one should drop off your account in the next few days.
    Has if fully cleared through the account so that you can see that date time AND location of the transaction? If it hasn't got that detail on then it will disappear next week.

ReputationRep:
    Some banks have a really sad view of how to look after its customers but you need to press for the service & attention you deserve & are entitled to expect from the Bank. Your money (or credit allowance) is with the Bank and it IS their responsibility to look after it and administer the account & dealings correctly and with due care & diligence. I recently had my bank BARCLAYS double charge me by thousands of pounds on my DEBIT card. They admitted (partial) responsibility but said the merchant was also responsible as merchant had obtained an AUTHORISATION code for a transaction but later put through another MUCH LARGER claim on the Authorisation number! The Bank indicates that they (Barclays) seem not to bother to check or match up Authorisation codes with the actual amount debited. Thus if you go out for a meal and Sign for (say) £55 the Merchant (restaurant) CAN just deduct (say) £65 at a later date as Barclays (in my case) DO NOT CHECK OR MATCH up the amounts against that which you signed or agreed with the Merchant. I can see problems with this la cavalier administration in that after you get your statement, perhaps a few weeks or months later, You see a charge (£65) and the name of the restaurant that you somewhat remember you DID have a meal at..... And accept the charge. You rely on your bank properly protecting your funds and only allowing the amount agreed and authorised to be debited. Sorry but that is not the case and my information direct from my bank and the FOS is that the amounts do not need to match. A very concerning issue that I continue to research. I strongly recommend you always check the amount ACTUALLY charged as on your statement, against the authorised amount as the bank indicate they do not! Good luck with your efforts and do consider seeking compensation for upset & time (including on this forum) you felt need to devote to the matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Higgy90)
    its not the banks problem im afraid.
    My Bank (BARCLAYS) confirm in a letter they admit it to be their responsability (shared with the merchant) The bank have offered me £100 compensation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playa_h8r)

Just happened to me, to be honest think it was kind of my fault, i was ordering some trainers from JD sports and i had entered my card details and my address, the i had to go through some verification check with barclays before the order could be completed.

I acccidently clicked on another tab and because i had so many JD tabs i went back to the tab i thought i was on but i guess i wasn't now thinking about it, typed in my details again and i didn't have to go through the verification part this time it just said my orders been completed. Checked my card after college and noticed i'd been charged twice.

Checked the JD sports website and it said i've only ordered one of the item so i was confused, phoned barclays and they said there's been two orders with 2 mins between them, Phoned JD sports and the women looked at my card and said there's only been one order but then checked my debit card number on the system and it showed that it's been debited twice, she just told me she's refunded it and i've got it on online banking, WOOP

Was worried after i read this thread thought i'd be loosing out on £90 after shelling out £90 on a brand new pair of kicks that would have SUCKED. But to be honest it was really straight forward the women i spoke to was nice and understanding, she checked my JD account and it only said one order, she could have easily said there's nothing she could do but she asked for my debit card number, typed it in the system and that did the trick.

I'm writing this so anyone who has this problem and see's this thread knows how to do this!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 30, 2012
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.