Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Free-weights or Machines? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys prefer using in the gym?
    I personally try to stick completely to free weights until I tore my shoulder, where now im about to change to machines for most and free weights for only the big compounds... Do you think this will affect my bulking much? Maybe should I look into trying to work on my core now as well if im moing onto machines for most exercises?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Free weights for me.

ReputationRep:
    There's no good reason to use machines, that I can think of.

There must be a reason, but it's probably very obscure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)

Your scared of weights falling on you :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7777777)
    Your scared of weights falling on you :yes:
    Not good enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)

The only good reason I can think of for people using machines is so that I never have to wait on a lifting platform becoming free.

ReputationRep:
    haha that reminds me -

Last week at my local gym, a lad was shoulder pressing 70lb dumbells on an upright bench, spotter was miles away not paying attention, he started struggling when lifting the dumbells and they both caved in and landed plate first on each side of his head..

Haha funny ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Not good enough.
    Metallophobia?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)

You don't need a spotter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Not good enough.
    Is good enough when you go to the gym at 5am when there is no one there to spot. Fail on your last rep and have the bar come crashing down on your face, meaning i couldn't chew anything food wise for about 10 days.

I've been using machines for about 4 months since then, carried on bulking at same rate, same ratio of muscle to fat gained.

Providing the stabilizer muscles, you work in some other way. Feel free to use machines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerok)
    Is good enough when you go to the gym at 5am when there is no one there to spot. Fail on your last rep and have the bar come crashing down on your face, meaning i couldn't chew anything food wise for about 10 days.

I've been using machines for about 4 months since then, carried on bulking at same rate, same ratio of muscle to fat gained.

Providing the stabilizer muscles, you work in some other way. Feel free to use machines.
    Sucks dude. Learn to fail and dump properly. Ouch.

ReputationRep:
    I used to do machines when I first started.

Now I do free weights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)

lol you're ignorant man, i hate the wanabe hardcores who always slate machines...yeah you think all ifbb pros never use machines ?

ReputationRep:
    Free weights are a lot better. The only people that seem to use machines are those that are scared of using free weights, i.e. the skinny little ******* that are embarrassed and have incredibly low self esteem.

Free weights work the stabilizer muscles. Machines don't. There's one bloody good reason right there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    Free weights are a lot better. The only people that seem to use machines are those that are scared of using free weights, i.e. the skinny little ******* that are embarrassed and have incredibly low self esteem.

Free weights work the stabilizing muscles. Machines don't. There's one bloody good reason right there.
    so markus rhul is a skinny little **** and scared of weights ?

so am i ?

so are countless of extremely muscular people ?

and when a guy is doing a chest press on a machine, he doesn't give two ***** about stabilisers, he cares about stimulating his chest in order to grow.

ReputationRep:
    The only people that seem to use machines are those that are scared of using free weights, i.e. the skinny little ******* that are embarrassed and have incredibly low self esteem.
    and you wonder why the skinny dudes use the machines?

I wouldn't step foot near a gym till I've put on some weight. I know everyone's egos there are massive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bludclotzz)
    so markus rhul is a skinny little **** and scared of weights ?

so am i ?

so are countless of extremely muscular people ?

and when a guy is doing a chest press on a machine, he doesn't give two ***** about stabilisers, he cares about stimulating his chest in order to grow.
    Lol at you for thinking Ruhl just uses machines. Of course it can be good to use both, and most bodybuilders do, but I'm talking about those who focus solely on machines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bludclotzz)
    lol you're ignorant man, i hate the wanabe hardcores who always slate machines...yeah you think all ifbb pros never use machines ?
    The pros do, after they have build a foundation of muscle mass with freeweights.

I hate the wanabe bodybuilders who take what IFBB pros do NOW and make out it was always that way, see you on stage in competition soon eh lol

ReputationRep:
    Lol at you for thinking Ruhl just uses machines. Of course it can be good to use both, and most bodybuilders do, but I'm talking about those who focus solely on machines.
    well obviously both are good, but the way u guys make it seem like if u touch machines, you will turn into an abercrombie skinny fag

ReputationRep:
    I use machines, because I am terrified of the free weight area. I am considering buying some free weights to use at home though, but again, I would have the issue of having no spotter.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.