Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Free-weights or Machines? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bludclotzz)
    well obviously both are good, but the way u guys make it seem like if u touch machines, you will turn into an abercrombie skinny fag
    hahaha

I see where you're coming from, the 'brah' attitude where men only lift free weights, eat cows whole and drink lava is a little retardo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    There's no good reason to use machines, that I can think of.

There must be a reason, but it's probably very obscure.
    Injury could be one. You can isolate muscles more with machines so if you had a random injury in your glutes or something you might still be able to use one of those hamstring curl machines or something, whilst you wouldn't be able to squat? :dontknow:

I don't personally use machines (except for lat pulldowns which I complement with compound back exercises) but I can see some reason for their existence. The exception being the simulated squat machine at my gym :confused: .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Katie*)
    Injury could be one. You can isolate muscles more with machines so if you had a random injury in your glutes or something you might still be able to use one of those hamstring curl machines or something, whilst you wouldn't be able to squat? :dontknow:

I don't personally use machines (except for lat pulldowns which I complement with compound back exercises) but I can see some reason for their existence. The exception being the simulated squat machine at my gym :confused: .
    I think cable machines can be quite useful. The only ones I personally use are for low rows and lat pulldowns.

ReputationRep:
    The only good reason to train on machines is if you are elderly or disabled and have impaired balance, or are rehabing an injury.

The reason that pros use machines and get significant hypertrophy is because they are on steroids. Those that aren't on gear need to use compound movements for the majority of their routine to get a decent neuro-endocrine response so that their muscles will grow. Sure, you can add a few assistance exercises on machines, but there is no machine exercise that can't be done better with free weights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bludclotzz)
    lol you're ignorant man, i hate the wanabe hardcores who always slate machines...yeah you think all ifbb pros never use machines ?
    Oh, "pros" huh? I was going to ask, "'Pro' what?" But that's already been answered.

Boodybuilders can take a flying ******* leap for all I care. You included.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlplurality)
    I use machines, because I am terrified of the free weight area. I am considering buying some free weights to use at home though, but again, I would have the issue of having no spotter.
    You don't need one with dumbbells. I've got up to 25kg dumbbells at home and a bench, which works for me.

Free weights all the way.

ReputationRep:
    Machines can be good for somebody who's injured and is trying to rehabilitate themselves. Other than that they suck.

EDIT: Damn, somebody beat me to it.

ReputationRep:
    This might be probably/is a really stupid question -- but I use machines to exercise my legs muscles...how do you use free weights to do that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaxoxo)
    This might be probably/is a really stupid question -- but I use machines to exercise my legs muscles...how do you use free weights to do that?
    Squat, or weighted lunge.

ReputationRep:
    free weights are much better than machiens, free weights work your stabiliser muscles while machines dont

ReputationRep:
    Free weights on the whole.

Machines can be useful for people who are recovering from injury as they dont usually use the full range of motion or control muscles (if thats what they damaged). That and the cable machine/lat pull down comes in handy for a couple of things. (Cable machine does use stabilizers I believe)

But in general if possible free weight>>>>>>machine

ReputationRep:
    Simple, use both.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I used the machines when I first started just to build a little more strength and see what people tended to do with the free weights before I started using them. I wouldn't really say I have low self esteem like someone said. I'm naturally quite stocky but don't want to go fling some weights around that are 3 times less than what a guy half my size is doing until I know I'm at least flinging my light weights around correctly.

ReputationRep:
    Machines are good, but I prefer free weights.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.