Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

i have these symptoms:

- i cannot do simple tasks without concentrating. i sometimes have to concentrate really hard if i make a cup of tea.

- i often do really stupid things and look like i'm mentally retarded.

- i find it hard to hold a conversation.

- i get lost in social situations.

am i autistic? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i have these symptoms:

- i cannot do simple tasks without concentrating. i sometimes have to concentrate really hard if i make a cup of tea.

I think if you're genuinely concerned that you may be wautistic you should be going to the doctors.

No. If you were autistic it is unlikely you would have the self-awareness to be worried about such things. You just have sucky social skills.

ReputationRep:
    Seek professional advice, not the internet's :yy:

(Original post by JCM89)
    No. If you were autistic it is unlikely you would have the self-awareness to be worried about such things. You just have sucky social skills.
    why? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Autism is a spectrum, so we're all a little bit autistic, which is why it's difficult to answer your question. As for the concentration symptom, it's more that autistics concentrate in what they're doing without even realising the surroundings around them, hence when people try talk to them while they're doing it, it doesn't even register that they've heard someone speak.

I'm a highly-functioning autistic myself, so PM if you want to chat If you're really concerned you should see a professional though.

Why what?

ReputationRep:
    I think because one of the symptoms of autism is the lack of self awareness . You're making observations about yourself and you're interactions with others which doesn't sound very autistic.

ReputationRep:
    No.

(Original post by JCM89)
    Why what?
    why do you say i lack social skills?

ReputationRep:
    it seems you are but go and see your doctor

why do you say i lack social skills?
    Read your own original post.

(Original post by Anon the 7th)
    it seems you are but go and see your doctor
    why am i autistic? is what i said before symptoms of autism? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    your almost are. all thats left to do is tell all your friends on facebook that you are.

ReputationRep:
    why am i autistic? is what i said before symptoms of autism? :confused:
    i think so but then again im no expert

ReputationRep:
    i have these symptoms:

Just a little on my background:- I work with children in a special needs school with a wide range of ASD's and other 'problems'.

This sounds like a mild ASD but then again, I'm no professional. Perhaps Asperger's syndrome? I would go to your GP to arrange a diagnosis.

ReputationRep:
    Autism and its branches can be extremely difficult to diagnose and treat, but don't let that put you off going to see a doctor if it is concerning you. One thing I would be careful of is latching on to the idea that you are autistic and not seeing other possibilities - the symptoms you describe can form other, more specific disorders or simply a set of things that you just don't happen to find particularly easy. As has been said already, it's also important to see autism as a spectrum rather than a black and white diagnosis. I for one have a few clear traits of Asperger's Syndrome, but that doesn't mean that I have it.

(Original post by scott202)
    Just a little on my background:- I work with children in a special needs school with a wide range of ASD's and other 'problems'.

This sounds like a mild ASD but then again, I'm no professional. Perhaps Asperger's syndrome? I would go to your GP to arrange a diagnosis.
    well i really think i have asperger's syndrome. it gets me down, and it makes me suck at my job, i can't make conversation and i don't connect with people.

i just want to cope with it, so i can lead a normal life. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    well i really think i have asperger's syndrome. it gets me down, and it makes me suck at my job, i can't make conversation and i don't connect with people.

i just want to cope with it, so i can lead a normal life. :rolleyes:
    Perhaps it's just nerves. It took me ages to have the confidence to strike up a conversation... Things will improve with time, even if it is an ASD such as asperger's. Just keep practising!

First of all try and be more vocal around your friends and family. Build confidence there before moving onto people you aren't familiar with! Don't ever think of yourself as inferior to other people in any sense and always smile

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't your belief that you have some kind of condition be more negative than positive . Go to the doctor for some kind of diagnosis but until then I wouldn't put so much thought towards it , sounds your limiting yourself a bit.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.