Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by scott202)
    Perhaps it's just nerves. It took me ages to have the confidence to strike up a conversation... Things will improve with time, even if it is an ASD such as asperger's. Just keep practising!

First of all try and be more vocal around your friends and family. Build confidence there before moving onto people you aren't familiar with! Don't ever think of yourself as inferior to other people in any sense and always smile
    it's not nerves. my mind goes blank and i never think of anything to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i have these symptoms:

- i cannot do simple tasks without concentrating. i sometimes have to concentrate really hard if i make a cup of tea.

- i often do really stupid things and look like i'm mentally retarded.

- i find it hard to hold a conversation.

- i get lost in social situations.

am i autistic? :confused:
    apparantly were all on the autistic spectrum so i wouldn't worry about it too much n apparantly they dont diagnose ppl as autistic as easilly as they used to
    hope it all works out for you

(Original post by D3M!)
    Couldn't your belief that you have some kind of condition be more negative than positive . Go to the doctor for some kind of diagnosis but until then I wouldn't put so much thought towards it , sounds your limiting yourself a bit.
    i'm simply being realistic.

ReputationRep:
    That could easily be nerves... But hey.. Go and talk to your GP if you are worried about this... They can refer to you places who can put strategies in place to help you deal with situations and overcome your disorder, should you be found to have one...

A student forum isn't going to hold the definitive answers you are looking for I'm afraid....

Take care!

what kind of strategies?

ReputationRep:
    That happens to me sometimes and I'm pretty sure that I'm not autistic.

(Original post by fallen angel9)
    That happens to me sometimes and I'm pretty sure that I'm not autistic.
    it doesn't happen to anybody else.

in social situations, i'm always the one who does not talk.

ReputationRep:
    No1 can GENUINELY help here !!
    Jus go see a doctor

ReputationRep:
    it doesn't happen to anybody else.

in social situations, i'm always the one who does not talk.
    What makes you so sure it doesn't happen to other people?

Pfft, I know people who don't talk in a lot of social situations, hell I used to be that person until I came out of my shell :woo:

If you're that concerned got your GP.

(Original post by fallen angel9)
    What makes you so sure it doesn't happen to other people?

Pfft, I know people who don't talk in a lot of social situations, hell I used to be that person until I came out of my shell :woo:

If you're that concerned got your GP.
    oh i know. most people talk a lot, i do not.

ReputationRep:
    oh i know. most people talk a lot, i do not.

eurgh CBA.

(Original post by FZka)
    No1 can GENUINELY help here !!
    Jus go see a doctor
    what would the doctor say?

i don't want to look mentally retarded any more.

ReputationRep:

I don't know what would the doctor say that's why you should see one
    Jus go to hear it from a proffessional : THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH YOU

ReputationRep:
    To be honest my friend has some of the things you mentioned and he's autistic. So go to your GP for a consultation
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Next time you decide to check the 'post as anonymous' box, try not to make it blatantly obvious who you are. :thumbsdown:

ReputationRep:

Depending on what your specific symptoms are the doctor might recommend you have some therapy sessions or, if you're someone who experiences OCD tendencies then possible CBT. In your situation a speech and language group with a SLT might be suggested. We run a couple of these at school and they cover things like proper eye contact, how to be assertive rather than aggressive or passive in a conversation, how to start and end conversations properly, how to give an appropriate response to small talk etc. I don't really know a great deal about it since all of the kids I work with have been pre-diagnosed, and my parents very kindly decided not to mention it to me :rolleyes:

That said, I think it's always worth remembering that certainly for a mild aspergic the problems are far more to do with your initial perception than your learned behaviour. So, for instance, you may find it uncomfortable to make eye contact with people. But a few years of school have surely taught you that poor eyecontact makes teachers cross, and makes people think you are not listening to them. So gradually you learn to make eye contact. I've spent years knowing that when I tell stories people tend to go a bit wide eyed and make some comment about detail - I can't stop myself from giving every little bit of background or date or detail. Or at least I couldn't. As I've got older I've realised that when I tell a story I take over the conversation and I've gradually learned how to moderate that. It often means that now I'm very brief and give the bare minimum of detail, because I still struggle with the middle ground, but I'm getting better.

Aspergers or autism doesn't have to be a big label stuck on your head, but it does sometimes mean you have lots of extra help or self-help opened up to you. Two fantastic books if you want to know more:
    The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome by Tony Attwood (a massive book but so so useful)
    and
    Freaks, Geeks and Asperger Syndrom by Luke Jackson, who wrote about his experiences of being aspergic when he was 13. It's such a good guide for anyone working with teens with AS or who is a teen with AS himself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D3M!)
    I think because one of the symptoms of autism is the lack of self awareness . You're making observations about yourself and you're interactions with others which doesn't sound very autistic.
    Except if your on the autistic spectrum disorder and have something like Aspergers, you're extremely aware.

(Original post by FZka)
    I don't know what would the doctor say that's why you should see one
    Jus go to hear it from a proffessional : THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH YOU
    i know there is something wrong with me.

(Original post by worse happens in cold war)
    apparantly were all on the autistic spectrum
    How so?
    so i wouldn't worry about it too much n apparantly they dont diagnose ppl as autistic as easilly as they used to
    hope it all works out for you
    why not? The symptoms i listed before are bad symptoms, which go beyond the norm. How is that not a pathology? any "doctor" worth his/her salt would agree. How many people seldom talk, and in a group of people never say anything? How many people are not mental heavyweights?

ReputationRep:
    How many people seldom talk, and in a group of people never say anything?
    Me. And don't you dare try and tell me there's something wrong with me. :naughty:

Please, go see a professional.... you are not going to get the answer here. The worst thing you can do is diagnose yourself.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.