Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    why am i autistic? is what i said before symptoms of autism? :confused:
    Stop trying to act unaware now that the first few posts destroyed your argument.

Tool.

(Original post by Iridescence)
    Me. And don't you dare try and tell me there's something wrong with me. :naughty:
    No. Nobody in social groups says nothing.

Please, go see a professional.... you are not going to get the answer here. The worst thing you can do is diagnose yourself.
    i know something is wrong with me. :yes: admitting it is the first step to recovery.

(Original post by ChunkymunkyDJC)
    Stop trying to act unaware now that the first few posts destroyed your argument.

Tool.
    which first few posts were these?

they simply said go to the doctor. how does this denote destroying my argument?

ReputationRep:

i know something is wrong with me. :yes: admitting it is the first step to recovery.
    But there is no 'recovery' for autism. I highly doubt you are autistic (source: I know 3 autistic people) and it seems to me as if you actually want to be autistic.

ReputationRep:

In fact, I do. And you don't have the slightest clue on who I am so please don't bother trying. :p:

Good! That is the first step, and keeping going - by seeing somebody, not coming onto student forums.

(Original post by QI Elf)
    But there is no 'recovery' for autism. I highly doubt you are autistic (source: I know 3 autistic people) and it seems to me as if you actually want to be autistic.
    There is recovery. Or at least coping strategies. Sorry, i don't want to look mentally retarded ever again.

In fact, I do. And you don't have the slightest clue on who I am so please don't bother trying. :p:
    i don't believe you. i'm under no obligation to believe you.
    Good! That is the first step, and keeping going - by seeing somebody, not coming onto student forums.
    ok.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry; you're probably just retarded.

ReputationRep:
    which first few posts were these?

they simply said go to the doctor. how does this denote destroying my argument?
    The first few posts which said autistic people are unaware they are autistic, then suddenly you decided that you are also unaware despite the fact you created this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    No. If you were autistic it is unlikely you would have the self-awareness to be worried about such things. You just have sucky social skills.
    Loads of high-functioning autistics have high self-awareness. It's awareness of others that they often tend to lack.

Anyway, I don't agree with the assumption that if one displays autistic behaviour one is always going to do such (the brain is a highly malleable thing [e.g. neuroplasticity] and so that can be a dangerous assumption, though I don't accept the equally dangerous idea that autistics should be forced to change, as this is, of course, often harmful and less than productive) -- but if the label's helpful for you, then ask to be diagnosed.

ReputationRep:
    i don't believe you. i'm under no obligation to believe you.
    To be honest, I don't believe you either now. All you want to listen to is the bad, not the good which leads me to believe what someone said before, you actually want to have something wrong with you.

So good luck with that.....

To be honest, I don't believe you either now. All you want to listen to is the bad, not the good which leads me to believe what someone said before, you actually want to have something wrong with you.

So good luck with that.....
    i know i have a problem. i'm too slow, and i don't talk. these are problems, and i want to resolve them or alleviate them at least.

ReputationRep:
    i know i have a problem. i'm too slow, and i don't talk. these are problems, and i want to resolve them or alleviate them at least.
    :eyebrow: You must be out of your mind if you think they're going to be resolved here.

ReputationRep:
    i have these symptoms:

- i cannot do simple tasks without concentrating. i sometimes have to concentrate really hard if i make a cup of tea.

- i often do really stupid things and look like i'm mentally retarded.

- i find it hard to hold a conversation.

- i get lost in social situations.

am i autistic? :confused:
    Dyspraxic, perhaps.

Go to the GP's!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Dyspraxic, perhaps.
    Or ADHD. Or probably a ton of other things.

See your doctor, Anonymous. And get a referral to a psychiatrist who's qualified to diagnose such things, because your GP most likely isn't.

ReputationRep:
    i have these symptoms:

- i cannot do simple tasks without concentrating. i sometimes have to concentrate really hard if i make a cup of tea.

- i often do really stupid things and look like i'm mentally retarded.

- i find it hard to hold a conversation.

- i get lost in social situations.

am i autistic? :confused:
    The list of symptoms you mention don't appear consistent with autism, as others have mentioned autism is spectrum but even the most mild forms like PDD involve some kind of compulsive and repetitive behavior, and a difficulty relating emotionally to others.

You may simply have a form of adult ADD (attention deficit disorder); which is very common, and with treatment virtually curable.

Go, see your GP.

ReputationRep:
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=autistic

What is ADD?

ReputationRep:
    What is ADD?
    ADHD

ADD is ADHD, but primarily inattentive

Predominantly inattentive type symptoms may include:[33]

* Be easily distracted, miss details, forget things, and frequently switch from one activity to another
    * Have difficulty focusing on one thing
    * Become bored with a task after only a few minutes, unless they are doing something enjoyable
    * Have difficulty focusing attention on organizing and completing a task or learning something new
    * Have trouble completing or turning in homework assignments, often losing things (e.g., pencils, toys, assignments) needed to complete tasks or activities
    * Not seem to listen when spoken to
    * Daydream, become easily confused, and move slowly
    * Have difficulty processing information as quickly and accurately as others
    * Struggle to follow instructions.
    Obviously these will apply to just about everyone to some degree and such symptoms could be indicative of something else altogether, which is why you need to be assessed by a professional. As well, the longer you've had it, the more you're likely to have developed coping mechanisms, which will also confuse the issue. Unfortunately, an ADHD diagnosis is very difficult to get in the UK; I believe there are only a couple of centres qualified, with long waiting lists, near London.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.