Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Obsessed with a girl I barely know and can't stop it watch

I am obsessed with a girl I can't be with and it's completely taken over
    my life. Its not even a passing thing as it's being going on since last year. I don't even understand why I am as I barely know her. I only met her once ever over a year ago because she used to go out with my friend, then I added her on Facebook and became obsessed. There was just something about her, how she looked, her interests, how she writes, everything. She broke up with my friend but then she went into a relationship with another boy and now they've been going out for nearly 2 years and have been on holiday together and are clearly a perfect couple. But now I get jealous. She barely even knows me, I doubt she even remembers I exist, yet I think about her every day. I've never had this before. I'd say every day since last November she's in my mind for a lot of the day.

It's not even like I don't know anyone or meet people, I don't have the
    biggest social life but I have a few good friends and we go out quite often and I do meet other girls too sometimes but when I do, the girl I'm obsessed with is always on my mind. It's gone further too. I've started sometimes walking the long way round to places I go just so I walk past her house, and sometimes I go to the pub near her house just because it's close to her, I don't even know why since if I saw her she'd probably not even remember me. I can't understand this feeling nor why a girl I barely even know has taken over my mind. I used to check her Facebook all the time and read what she was doing, look at her photos and get jealous so I took her off a few months ago thinking that'd help but it hasn't.

I just don't know what to do. I can't talk to anyone about this because
    they'd think I was an idiot or weird or both, maybe I am but I have no idea how to stop it and it's practically taken over my life. It's been going on so so long now and I do't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    If you have the 'biggest' social life, then it should be easy for you too find a girlfriend and move on?

ReputationRep:
    hmm sounds stalkerish. You could delete her from ya facebook then u wont have the option of 'checking up' on her. Then eventually you will just forget about her....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by co_co_vogue)
    If you have the 'biggest' social life, then it should be easy for you too find a girlfriend and move on?
    This.

OP You're sprung on this girl , just move and , seriously

ReputationRep:
    Cut all ties.

ReputationRep:
    I barely know you and i'm pretty afraid of you , please don't live in the south of england.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

It's not even like I don't know anyone or meet people, I don't have the
    biggest social life but I have a few good friends and we go out quite often and I do meet other girls too sometimes but when I do, the girl I'm obsessed with is always on my mind. It's gone further too. I've started sometimes walking the long way round to places I go just so I walk past her house, and sometimes I go to the pub near her house just because it's close to her, I don't even know why since if I saw her she'd probably not even remember me. I can't understand this feeling nor why a girl I barely even know has taken over my mind. I used to check her Facebook all the time and read what she was doing, look at her photos and get jealous so I took her off a few months ago thinking that'd help but it hasn't.
    Ok, stop doing those kinds of things, delete her facebook and I'm sure eventually you will forget about her

ReputationRep:
    maybe it's the fact that you don't know-KNOW her (like you can only get to know so much off her facebook).. it's possible you're just making her out to be better than she is in your head because you haven't had the chance to know the things about her that u might not like so much. just try and think about her less and less everyday and occupy yourself with something else, maybe? (like a hobby / interest that involves a lot of your attention)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by co_co_vogue)
    he said: 'I don't have the biggest social life...'

Dude, you need to get laid or something. It's not healthy to be in your state.

ReputationRep:
    Delete. You've met her once and you have no reason to contact her, so why have her facebook? You only have yourself to blame for getting obsessed, it's a self-perpetuating cycle. Delete her from facebook and you'll have a chance to move on and forget about her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    Delete. You've met her once and you have no reason to contact her, so why have her facebook? You only have yourself to blame for getting obsessed, it's a self-perpetuating cycle. Delete her from facebook and you'll have a chance to move on and forget about her.
    He said he already has... most don't even read the post do they? I agree with Preeka. It's a hell of a lot easier to idealise someone we don't know so well into being exactly what we want. But I don't think you're particularly weird for it op... people become infatuated. Just try and accept nothing's going to happen, and when you meet another girl who you actually like (that's the important part, not just meeting other girls) I expect you'll stop obsessing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bunty64)
    he said: 'I don't have the biggest social life...'

Dude, you need to get laid or something. It's not healthy to be in your state.
    Oh yeah. Still he says he goes out quite alot, so it shouldnt be too hard.

ReputationRep:
    You need to meet a new girl, hopefully one that likes you too, and move this crush onto her - It does work, in fact I'd say that's the only true way to get over someone.

The way I see it, you are barely ever without a crush. Lets say you get a crush on someone, if you spend 100 days alone in your house by the end of those 100 days that girl will constantly be still on your mind. The only way to forget that person is to notice somebody else, which seems to erase the previous one :dontknow: otherwise it hangs around forever. So that's my advice to you. It's strange to me though that in all this time you haven't moved away onto other girls yet but that's what you need to let happen.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.