Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    No, REAL RAPE is any time that a man or woman is forced into sex when they don't consent. You don't have to be ambushed at home by someone breaking into your house for it to be real, or because you're a wallflower with perfect grades it makes you any more of a victim that needs to be taken notice of. Even if like you said, it was meant to be 'funny' imo it really wasn't.

It takes a messed up person to cry rape. All the people that are so blasé about it just make real rape victims less likely to come forward for fear of not being taken seriously.
    I completely agree with you. I know someone who has been repeatedly raped, but refuses to report it as he is her 'boyfriend'. What kind of boyfriend treats his girlfriend like this? He's vile, manipulative scum & he makes me sick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SH777)
    They do if she's accused someone of rape and this girl knows she innocent.
    What power?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I completely agree with you. I know someone who has been repeatedly raped, but refuses to report it as he is her 'boyfriend'. What kind of boyfriend treats his girlfriend like this? He's vile, manipulative scum & he makes me sick.
    This makes me so angry. I really can't imagine what it's like to have a friend in this situation where they can't/won't get out of it. I hope your friend gets out if she's still with him .

Edit: I've just read that back and it sounds really... self-centred, because I haven't acknowledged that I also can't imagine how horrible it must be for your friend to actually go through that. My experience of this situation is as the friend, that's why I acknowledged how upsetting it must be for you. Sorry :/
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Tell the teacher your friend has said she lied. But like others have said, don't assume that she isn't lying now.

ReputationRep:
    What teacher would put themselves in that position? Teachers are specifically told never to promise not to tell, and this kind of thing would probably come under something which she would have a legal obligation to report (e.g. if the girl knows the rapist, she isn't safe and this would make the teacher legally obliged to report the conversation).

Are you sure she actually told the teacher?

(Original post by paddyman4)
    What teacher would put themselves in that position? Teachers are specifically told never to promise not to tell, and this kind of thing would probably come under something which she would have a legal obligation to report (e.g. if the girl knows the rapist, she isn't safe and this would make the teacher legally obliged to report the conversation).

Are you sure she actually told the teacher?
    I'm not completely sure, but around 99% I suppose.

She's not our teacher anymore (and wasn't when the situation happened), by the way, if that makes any difference

Although, I'm actually worrying that the teacher HAS told somebody as, as you've said, it is her obligation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm not completely sure, but around 99% I suppose.

She's not our teacher anymore (and wasn't when the situation happened), by the way, if that makes any difference

Although, I'm actually worrying that the teacher HAS told somebody as, as you've said, it is her obligation.
    What makes you 99% sure? I mean if you're not 100% then I assume you weren't there when she supposedly told the teacher?

Is she still a teacher in your school?

ReputationRep:
    It's possible that she's lying now. That the reality of it all hit her again after she told people, and she didn't like how it made everything more real.

I honestly don't think there's much you can do. In a few months/years the real truth might come out. Whether she's lying or not, your friend doesn't sound all that stable.
    This ^

You know, maybe you should tell the teacher that your friend did say to you that she'd been lying but that you're not sure if she was telling the truth about lying :erm:

(Original post by paddyman4)
    What makes you 99% sure? I mean if you're not 100% then I assume you weren't there when she supposedly told the teacher?

Is she still a teacher in your school?
    You're right, I wasn't there.

No, she left at Easter to teach at a different school, but has stayed in contact with the people she used to tutor.

ReputationRep:
    I'd tell the teacher too. It's not fair for your friend to tell someone a lie as big as this and expect them to carry it to their grave... especially given it's a lie!

Of course, I see other people's point that she might be in denial... but if not, lying about rape or any kind of sexual assault is extremely serious, and could ruin people's lives! As a friend, I think you need to ask her why she lied in the first place... and point out the severity of the accusations.

ReputationRep:
    It's possible that she's lying now. That the reality of it all hit her again after she told people, and she didn't like how it made everything more real.

I honestly don't think there's much you can do. In a few months/years the real truth might come out. Whether she's lying or not, your friend doesn't sound all that stable.
    THIS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    What power?
    If someone has reported to have been raped and someone else knows that it isn't true then they need to come forward as witness to that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SH777)
    If someone has reported to have been raped and someone else knows that it isn't true then they need to come forward as witness to that.
    Witness to what? There needs to be somethig actionable if the police are to trake action. She lied (or didn't.) She didn't pervert the course of justiuce. Stop being so sensationalist.

ReputationRep:
    In a few months/years the real truth might come out.
    Yes. This. Wired isn't it? Sooner or latter all the lies will be unfold. Have no idea or clear reasoning what it's always like this

Care to explain

ReputationRep:
    What's her reason for why she lied? Sounds as if she's protecting them.

ReputationRep:
    Tell the teacher - she will probably have told other people by now (obliged by law I believe if the person is under 18 regardless of whether they still teach them). Tell before this escalates out of the control. Then suggest that you friend gets some serious help.

ReputationRep:

This. Just be there for her OP, whether it's true or not she needs your support, be it for different reasons depending on whether it's true or not

ReputationRep:
    My suspicion is that she isn't lying at all, and is now either in denial or being pressured to cover it up. Try to find out the truth.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think she would lie? I mean, what reason would she have? Is she the kind who would do it for attention?
    (I unfortunately know 2 different girls who've falsely claimed to have been raped for the sympathy).

Also - was her alleged rapist definitely on holiday at the time? That's a pretty important piece of information!

I'd contact your teacher, and say that your friend is now claiming that she lied the first time, and that you have evidence that she was lying. Even if she wasn't raped, the friend still has issues that the teacher might be able to help with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    Witness to what? There needs to be somethig actionable if the police are to trake action. She lied (or didn't.) She didn't pervert the course of justiuce. Stop being so sensationalist.
    You have no idea whether the police have been told or not, the information isn't given in the first post. The person who started the tread may not even know whether the police or involved. Why take the chance.

PS. Just because you're a law student doesn't mean you need to dive into every single law related thread on the forums and try and start an argument. I'm sure there are better uses your knowledge could be put to.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.