Turn on thread page Beta

Health problems - is it just me? :( watch

Warning: long message

I've become really worried about my health recently and it's really making me depressed. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could offer me some advice. Here goes...

First of all I would like to start off by saying that I'm 19 years old and I've never had any serious health problems so far in my life, and there is no history of any problems in the family. However, about 3 months ago (a month before my exams) I was out with some friends at a party when I suddenly started feeling pain in my neck; my heart started racing and I started panicking. I felt dizzy and as if I was going to pass out. This lasted for about an hour but I thought it was only a one off thing so I left it at that.

A few weeks later, I had it again when I was at home. I could feel my heart hammering and racing inside my chest and I panicked, making me really uncomfortable, scared and dizzy. I felt as if I was going to die. I asked my dad to take me to A&E where they took an ECG and said that everything was fine, it was probably due to exam stress [I should point out here that I have never felt any exam pressure nor had symptoms like these before exams, usually I'm fine with exams] - and if the problems persisted I should see the GP. Needless to say this event really knocked the wind out of my sails and I failed my exams.

Just to make sure I went to the GP a few days later and he recommended some basic blood tests to be taken - these all came back okay. Then I was okay for a few weeks and had no recurrence of the palpitations or 'attacks' until a few days before the resit. I started to feel a tight pain in my chest; previously when I had these attacks I found that lying down made things better but this time they didn't and my heart was hammering away from 12am until 6am - I didn't have a wink of sleep. I went to the GP the next day and yet again he reassured me that there was nothing wrong with me and I had another ECG which came back clear.

I kept telling myself that it was nothing but then the night before the exam it happened again and I only had 30 mins of sleep before my resit- I was so scared, upset and worried. I keep thinking that there may be something more sinister at work and reading about atrial fibrilation on the net seemed to describe my symptoms fairly accurately, or a heart attack.

It happened again today, and I've noticed that I'm constantly feeling my pulse and am a lot more aware of my heart beat which seems to bring the attacks on as I keep thinking my heart rate is irregular something is wrong. And I think that's when the panic sets in and I feel I'm having a heart attack.

Now I don't know what to do, I'm really worried about my health and it seems as if I'm going to end up resitting the year. I feel that the GP is dismissing me - or it might be something psychological and I'm not helping myself.

Please help, any advice much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Some sort of anxiety disorder?

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like panic attacks and papitaions caused by stress I get these they are scary but nothing to worry about. Now your obsessing so it will cause more attacks. I take calms when I get stressed and I also do breathing exercises.

The GP probably doesnt want to put you on tablets to calm it incase you become reliant on them. If it was a heart attack you wouldnt be able to regain normal feeling after an hour.

When I feel stressed I go for a walk and sit for a while it calms me down.

Thanks so much for your replies, they are reassuring. The doctor did prescribe me beta blockers to slow down my heart rate at one point but I decided not to take them as I didn't feel they were safe or would help.

And katieratray, you're right... they are a lot worse when I'm conscious of them and I've been obsessing a lot about it. Is there any way to stop my heart from racing/ pounding when I'm in bed? What can I do to stop it? Should I see the GP again for more help?

Thanks once again

ReputationRep:
    You could see a different GP to see what there opion is.
    Try not to worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Warning: long message
    Spoiler:
    Show

I've become really worried about my health recently and it's really making me depressed. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could offer me some advice. Here goes...

First of all I would like to start off by saying that I'm 19 years old and I've never had any serious health problems so far in my life, and there is no history of any problems in the family. However, about 3 months ago (a month before my exams) I was out with some friends at a party when I suddenly started feeling pain in my neck; my heart started racing and I started panicking. I felt dizzy and as if I was going to pass out. This lasted for about an hour but I thought it was only a one off thing so I left it at that.

A few weeks later, I had it again when I was at home. I could feel my heart hammering and racing inside my chest and I panicked, making me really uncomfortable, scared and dizzy. I felt as if I was going to die. I asked my dad to take me to A&E where they took an ECG and said that everything was fine, it was probably due to exam stress [I should point out here that I have never felt any exam pressure nor had symptoms like these before exams, usually I'm fine with exams] - and if the problems persisted I should see the GP. Needless to say this event really knocked the wind out of my sails and I failed my exams.

Just to make sure I went to the GP a few days later and he recommended some basic blood tests to be taken - these all came back okay. Then I was okay for a few weeks and had no recurrence of the palpitations or 'attacks' until a few days before the resit. I started to feel a tight pain in my chest; previously when I had these attacks I found that lying down made things better but this time they didn't and my heart was hammering away from 12am until 6am - I didn't have a wink of sleep. I went to the GP the next day and yet again he reassured me that there was nothing wrong with me and I had another ECG which came back clear.

I kept telling myself that it was nothing but then the night before the exam it happened again and I only had 30 mins of sleep before my resit- I was so scared, upset and worried. I keep thinking that there may be something more sinister at work and reading about atrial fibrilation on the net seemed to describe my symptoms fairly accurately, or a heart attack.

It happened again today, and I've noticed that I'm constantly feeling my pulse and am a lot more aware of my heart beat which seems to bring the attacks on as I keep thinking my heart rate is irregular something is wrong. And I think that's when the panic sets in and I feel I'm having a heart attack.

Now I don't know what to do, I'm really worried about my health and it seems as if I'm going to end up resitting the year. I feel that the GP is dismissing me - or it might be something psychological and I'm not helping myself.

Please help, any advice much appreciated
    So you're aware, a heart attack would show up on any ECG done. The fact you've been to the GP more than once about this issue, I'd say that your GP isn't just dismissing you - if there were any signs that it was something very serious, they'd act on it*, however the blood tests and ECG have come back clear.

Personally, I have no experience of panic attacks etc., so I can't state that this is what's occuring; but I'm sure getting yourself worked up over it isn't good whether it's psychological or there are other reasons.

Sorry I can't be more use, C.

*Act on it - my GP interrupted my family having Dinner and demanded that my Dad went with him to hospital immediately as they'd found a problem with his heart!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for your replies, they are reassuring. The doctor did prescribe me beta blockers to slow down my heart rate at one point but I decided not to take them as I didn't feel they were safe or would help.

And katieratray, you're right... they are a lot worse when I'm conscious of them and I've been obsessing a lot about it. Is there any way to stop my heart from racing/ pounding when I'm in bed? What can I do to stop it? Should I see the GP again for more help?

Thanks once again
    If your doctor prescribed them, they were prescribed for a reason!

As animals suggested, you could see another GP to talk about it, to get another opinion; and perhaps also talk about options to slow down the heart, e.g. the Beta-Blockers... and take them if they give them to you! This could also help with the situation of your heart racing when in bed.

Do you have any relaxation techniques of your own? Try and find ways to take your mind off of your heart, focus on something e.g. a Paradise beach with beautiful sands and the sea; get your mind in a different place entirely; this should distract you and also help you fall asleep!

C

Thanks for all the advice guys, I feel much better now. I've decided I'm going to see a different GP and see what advice he has and what he can offer me.

ReputationRep:
    Just like to say that you described the exact senario my brother used to suffer, and his diagnosis turned out to be panic attacks.

Good luck. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice guys, I feel much better now. I've decided I'm going to see a different GP and see what advice he has and what he can offer me.
    Good luck with everything, I hope it can all be sorted out.
    Can you consider giving an update (e.g. on this thread) when you know more please!

All the best, C

ReputationRep:
    Good luck, hope all goes well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animals)
    Try not to worry about it.
    Sorry, but that is totally useless advice. I have anxiety problems as well, and they seem pretty similar to the thread starter's, although maybe not so severe. The whole point of the problems is that we can't stop worrying about it. A lot of the time I worry almost obsessively when there's not actually anything to worry about.

For example, today I need to take my laptop into the Apple Store for repair, and then later on I'm going snowboarding. Nothing that would warrant worry there right? I've been worrying all morning, I have no idea if it's about that or not.

I also worry about my health too. I get aches and pains pretty much everywhere and I always convince myself I have some horrible illness.

So, to the thread starter: you aren't alone! I know that's no help and worrying about health/having panic attacks etc. sucks but you should maybe try and see a mental health nurse? I have appointments with one and whilst I do dread the appointments in the couple of days before them (ironic huh?) I can see that they are going to help.

Edit - Never mind. I guess I should have read the whole thread first! Good to hear you're feeling better.

(Original post by JSS16)
    Sorry, but that is totally useless advice. I have anxiety problems as well, and they seem pretty similar to the thread starter's, although maybe not so severe. The whole point of the problems is that we can't stop worrying about it. A lot of the time I worry almost obsessively when there's not actually anything to worry about.

For example, today I need to take my laptop into the Apple Store for repair, and then later on I'm going snowboarding. Nothing that would warrant worry there right? I've been worrying all morning, I have no idea if it's about that or not.

I also worry about my health too. I get aches and pains pretty much everywhere and I always convince myself I have some horrible illness.

So, to the thread starter: you aren't alone! I know that's no help and worrying about health/having panic attacks etc. sucks but you should maybe try and see a mental health nurse? I have appointments with one and whilst I do dread the appointments in the couple of days before them (ironic huh?) I can see that they are going to help.
    I had another anxiety attack last night, and I absolutely hate it!! That 'feeling better' was temporary

I feel the exact same as you JSS16 and I feel completely useless because I know its mostly psychological and I can't do anything about it. I mean this in the nicest way possible but I'm glad I'm not alone

Today, I went to see another GP but as luck would have it I had the same one as the other one was on holiday. I had another ECG taken and it was all normal. I've been referred to CBT in October.

As an aside, would it be a good idea to tell the uni about my circumstances and the anxiety attacks as I'm pretty certain that I've managed to **** up my resit exams because of the attacks. Or would it not be significant enough? The deadline for extenuating circumstances is next week.

ReputationRep:
    As an aside, would it be a good idea to tell the uni about my circumstances and the anxiety attacks as I'm pretty certain that I've managed to **** up my resit exams because of the attacks. Or would it not be significant enough? The deadline for extenuating circumstances is next week.
    I think it would be a good idea to tell them.

ReputationRep:
    THis sounds like heart palpitations/panic attack. I have both.

(Original post by whitestgirlalive)
    THis sounds like heart palpitations/panic attack. I have both.
    According to my GP, that's what it was. It sucks, doesn't it

Hope you feel better.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 16, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.