Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, this year I got AAABBB in my results and although I thought Physics was going to be an A it was only a B.

I've never had to appeal before so I'm wondering what my chances are.

Against me I have the fact that many people in my class who got A's in the prelim got C's and worse and they will be appealling. Will this number go against me seen as I have a B and am appealing for an A?

For me I got an A in the prelim (think it was 77%) and have got high A grades on all three unit NABs.

What do you think my chances are of getting an appeal, and thereafter a successful one?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on how difficult the prelim was in relation to the actual exam, if it was of equal difficulty then I'd say ure chances are 50-50, but to be honest appealing a B to an A is very rarely worth the hastle

ReputationRep:
    i doubt the number of people in your class appealing will affect you. i'm sure your school will probably put in an appeal for you but i think it is most likely to be rejected as the A boundary in the exam was 75.5% and your prelim isn't significantly above that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dado Prso)
    i doubt the number of people in your class appealing will affect you. i'm sure your school will probably put in an appeal for you but i think it is most likely to be rejected as the A boundary in the exam was 75.5% and your prelim isn't significantly above that.
    It does actually, if a certain proportion of a schools department need to appeal, then the principal teacher has to write a letter explaining why so many predictions were off.

ReputationRep:
    Last year, my teacher to had compare other people's results so see if their predictions was further off than mine. He had a limit he had to stick to. He did send my prelim off (78%) to try and upgrade my award from a B. It was rejected. I had no less tha 25/30 in each NAB and the end of unit tests i got As in all of them and still no success. By all means, appeal if you can but don't hold your hopes up. Move onto Adavanced Higher and get a B in physics, that's what i did! haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StuartMill)
    Hey guys, this year I got AAABBB in my results and although I thought Physics was going to be an A it was only a B.

I've never had to appeal before so I'm wondering what my chances are.

Against me I have the fact that many people in my class who got A's in the prelim got C's and worse and they will be appealling. Will this number go against me seen as I have a B and am appealing for an A?

For me I got an A in the prelim (think it was 77%) and have got high A grades on all three unit NABs.

What do you think my chances are of getting an appeal, and thereafter a successful one?

Thanks.
    You have to remember that the list of people who can appeal is selected by the SQA (which is sent to your school). If you are on the list then I think (and SQA probably does too) that it's worth a shot. After all it comes at no cost to you.

NABs are grade C limited so there's no such thing as "high A grades" when it comes to NABs but the SQA does take good NABs into account. However the prelim is more likely going to be the predominant factor. They'll also look at your exam paper again to see if you could have picked up a few extra marks/had a bad day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    You have to remember that the list of people who can appeal is selected by the SQA (which is sent to your school). If you are on the list then I think (and SQA probably does too) that it's worth a shot. After all it comes at no cost to you.

NABs are grade C limited so there's no such thing as "high A grades" when it comes to NABs but the SQA does take good NABs into account. However the prelim is more likely going to be the predominant factor. They'll also look at your exam paper again to see if you could have picked up a few extra marks/had a bad day.
    For us out physics teachers simply picked the top 25 in terms of biggest difference in prelim performance and final exam performance, there wasn't any list from the SQA, he said to me come back at the end of the week to see if HE would put my appeal. When the results came back, all 25 were rejected. The prelim was accepeted the previous year so the prelim must have been to the right standard.....ohwell, teaches you a lesson. Just do good in the final. No need for me to appeal this year!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.