Turn on thread page Beta

URGENT, HELP PLEASE? booked a train for tomorrow. student card run out. watch

ReputationRep:
    i booked a train for tomorrow (technically this) morning.
    it's with a 16-25 discount

i just found out my railcard expired a few days ago

what can i do ?!

can i go to the ticket office tomorrow morning and ask for them to renew my card/get a new one for this journey ???! or is it too late.....

ReputationRep:
    Thats bad. I dont think you can get a student card any way before tomorrow..
    Meaning either you try and blag it or you buy a new ticket

Where are you heading I hope not too far, expensive

ReputationRep:
    can you buy a student card right before you travel ? i have the photo, id etc, or would they actually need to print the card first ?

london from exeter .....if i bought it now without a student card it's £65...

thanks for your help,though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nanodesu)
    can you buy a student card right before you travel ? i have the photo, id etc, or would they actually need to print the card first ?

london from exeter .....if i bought it now without a student card it's £65...

thanks for your help,though.
    A good few years ago, I was able to buy one from the station and get it then and there. According to this, it looks like you still can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    A good few years ago, I was able to buy one from the station and get it then and there. According to this, it looks like you still can.
    really? so i could just turn up at the train station early tomorrow and buy a new railcard? did it take you long?

thanks so much for the info <: i saw that page, but i wasn't sure if going to the train station to renew meant they mailed it to you later.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Some stations have travel offices where you can buy railcards.

ReputationRep:
    If you're going to buy one anyway, buy it before. Even if you can't use it on the journey/get it in time, at worst you'll just have to pay the difference between full price and discounted. So DON'T buy another ticket at full price! They don't often check them, and even if they do, they'll make you pay an excess which is, like said before, the difference.

ReputationRep:
    You definitely can just get a young persons railcard at the train station. You have to fill in a form and have passport sized photos and ID on you. Takes no time though.

ReputationRep:
    Blag it. Act the fool.

ReputationRep:
    You can buy a young person's railcard and use it the same day.

ReputationRep:
    really? so i could just turn up at the train station early tomorrow and buy a new railcard? did it take you long?

thanks so much for the info <: i saw that page, but i wasn't sure if going to the train station to renew meant they mailed it to you later.
    To be honest, it was that long ago that I can't really remember how long it took. Depending on how busy your station usually is, I'd suggest giving yourself plenty of time to make sure you can get it done after any queuing (perhaps 20 minutes, at a guess?).

ReputationRep:
    ahh thanks for all the info everyone.

i think i' ll try buy a railcard before
    i have the photos, id and form
    and my station sells the railcards.

i don't want to risk paying £50+ extra (the difference seeing as i payed in advance)if they catch me :/

ReputationRep:
    I have never seen or heard of them being available at the actual station in Exeter (Central or St Davids).. but you could ask
    Maybe order online and take a receipt printout and trry and blag it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrrye)
    I have never seen or heard of them being available at the actual station in Exeter (Central or St Davids).. but you could ask
    Maybe order online and take a receipt printout and trry and blag it?
    wh-what really ?? i got mine there 2years ago at the station.

ReputationRep:
    wh-what really ?? i got mine there 2years ago at the station.
    Really? Okay its fine then? Why are you worried if you know they are for sale there? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Really? Okay its fine then? Why are you worried if you know they are for sale there? :confused:
    i couldn't remember if you could buy them and get them instantly, or if you filled out the form there and then they mailed it to you

ReputationRep:
    Take it to the rail station, you have the photocard bit, so all they'll need to do is print off a new railcard part of it. With the date on n stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously... a lot of people are very misinformed... just take all of the bits to the place you buy the ticket from and they'll do you a new card. You can keep the photocard bit, you just need a new one of the one with the expiry date on. The form will take you about 30 seconds to fill in, and the printing takes about 10. The thing which will determine how long it takes is the length of the queue you have to wait in to get to the front. You can buy them for instant travel from any staffed UK railway station.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what kind of railcard ppl are talking about but my student railcard has only one part, my picture name and expiry date all on one card..
    I had a Forces one with picture on one part and dates and authorisation on another but that is very different to a student railcard I currently have je pense!

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what kind of railcard ppl are talking about but my student railcard has only one part, my picture name and expiry date all on one card..
    I had a Forces one with picture on one part and dates and authorisation on another but that is very different to a student railcard I currently have je pense!
    Different forms of the same thing. I think the single-part card is a more recent introduction, but railcards can also be two-part - one a photocard (which, AFAIK, doesn't expire with the railcard), and one the actual part that gives eligibility for the discount.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.