Turn on thread page Beta

Who are most influential and amazing intellectuals the world has ever seen? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Satan's Whiskers)
    Ewww why? :haughty:
    I don't really know, but I've only heard of both of them from GCSE Latin. Also I kind of feel sorry for Pliny the Younger as he was probably overshadowed by Pliny the Elder for most of his life. I feel as if Pliny the Elder was one of those people who was really cool and popular, while pliny was a bit of a depressed, whiny geek who idolised Pliny the Elder wishing he could be like him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inspirations have I none)
    I don't really know, but I've only heard of both of them from GCSE Latin. Also I kind of feel sorry for Pliny the Younger as he was probably overshadowed by Pliny the Elder for most of his life. I feel as if Pliny the Elder was one of those people who was really cool and popular, while pliny was a bit of a depressed, whiny geek who idolised Pliny the Elder wishing he could be like him.
    :indiff:
    Pliny the Younger was a pompous, self-congratulatory culus who sucked up to everyone shamelessly and thought that the sun shone out of his arse. Wish he'd gone volcano-spotting with his uncle instead of sitting at home reading Livy :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    Jade Goody, Kerry Katona and Piers Morgan.
    no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Satan's Whiskers)
    :indiff:
    Pliny the Younger was a pompous, self-congratulatory culus who sucked up to everyone shamelessly and thought that the sun shone out of his arse. Wish he'd gone volcano-spotting with his uncle instead of sitting at home reading Livy :yes:
    silly goose.

ReputationRep:
    Gordon Freeman:yes:

ReputationRep:
    Hitler.

...Einstein.

Bono

ReputationRep:
    Geroge Soros

ReputationRep:
    Stephen Fry

ReputationRep:
    Noam Chomsky today!

Einstein

Karl Marx

Ibn Khaldun

Plato

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A is for Awesome)

Richard Feynman is pretty much without a doubt the greatest human being who ever lived.

Anyone who has read 'Surely You're Joking..." can attest to this.
    Completely agree

'Surely You're Joking...' is brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    Marx probably changed the modern world more than anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    Pythagoras taught me the evils of all types of beans.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus.

And his apostles, since he couldn't write a scripture to save his life [which makes sense, because I never read about Jesus learning how to read or write].

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    surviving-Noam Chomsky
    your sig makes me sad

ReputationRep:
    Tesla, he created alternatiive electricity and made the modern world. He brought power to the planet.

a good 10mins youtube vid on him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt8Y93k0pB0

Newton is definitely one of the most intelligent people ever, he had a huge influence on many fields.

I have read Gauss is the smartest though, when you start reading about genius people there really is loads and many amazing people.

Tolkien was mega clever, a massive IQ and learnt many many languages and quite easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidewalkwhenshewalks)
    This thread is unusually full of stupid posts. There's factual inaccuracy, dubious choices and rampant fanboy-ism (Feynman let me massage you with warm oils!) all over the show
    I don't know much about humanities so I'll stick with science and maths
    Newton
    Darwin
    Euler
    Gauss
    Tesla
    EDIT: Forgot Einstein
    good post, i agree!

ReputationRep:
    Jordan!

No, Paris Hilton! She knows not wearing underwear is cool... :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skadoosh)
    Thomas Edison innit.

Yes, I watched The Simpsons yesterday too.
    far from it, he was more of a trial and error bloke and a well marketed businessmen. Telsa said if he actually used some thought and science he would of made his inventions much quicker, basically Tesla thought he was an idiot and Edison knew Tesla was far more intelligent than him.

I actually think Tesla was kinda unique because he was super clever, but he could see his mind eyes in front of him and manipulate that picture, so he had 2 kinds of genius.

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest that Aristotle has had the most significant influence on the Western world because unlike most of the other suggestions he was not limited to one field. He wrote about physics, metaphysics, poetry, theatre, music, logic, rhetoric, politics, government, ethics, biology, and zoology.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.