Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Please keep anon, very personal and people I know go on here.

I've constantly had low self esteem and I absolutely despise my appearence but no one ever sympathises with what I'm going through. I constantly get "Get over it" or "don't let it bother you" which never helps.

Can anyone tell me if they managed to get over their dislike for their appearence?
    You can't help what you look like, its not exactly like you got to choose how you look! Everybody has insecurities about the way they look, unfortunately you do just have to deal with it....or get surgery...:rolleyes:

Just think, out of all the people in the world, there is always going to be someone uglier than someone, and someone more beautiful than someone else!

ReputationRep:
    Focus on your strengths, remember they will lose their looks one day but you will have the amazing personality you've spent your whole life working on forever :tongue:

Mind you, I've been trying to deal with it for nineteen years and still haven't got anywhere :laugh:

I don't think it's something you'll get over by reading a TSR post I'm afraid. It's something that you slowly grow into - you have to experience life, and then wisdom/knowledge comes to you, and you start to know yourself and what you are/aren't. It can take a long time to let go of someone you've been trying to be for so long.

ReputationRep:
    i don't know, i'm pretty.

ReputationRep:
    Make the best of what you have. Get in shape, dress well, get a decent haircut, cultivate a more positive attitude to life.

ReputationRep:
    Every girl I know would choose someone with a good sense of humour over some good looking bore everytime, so like everyone's said work on the personality If you give of the attitude of thinking you're ugly then it's going to show and will be even more of a turn off.

ReputationRep:
    copious amount of drink. Drink, feck,arse, in that order! all ugly problems solved!

ReputationRep:

I've constantly had low self esteem and I absolutely despise my appearence but no one ever sympathises with what I'm going through. I constantly get "Get over it" or "don't let it bother you" which never helps.

Can anyone tell me if they managed to get over their dislike for their appearence?
    Just realise that not everyone is that shallow.

ReputationRep:
    Tell the world to go **** themselves if they judge you for being ugly. The inside is where it really counts and if they don't like that, they aren't worth knowing in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    People are rarely as ugly as they think they are.

ReputationRep:
    Get a bag?

ReputationRep:
    has anyone said your ugly..or do u just look in the mirror and think that?

ReputationRep:
    First lesson in dealing with "the fairer sex"? Dont give a ****. Literally, dont give a **** about what you do, say or act like. Just be yourself around women. Even if your the butt of everyones jokes about your appearance, taste in music, comments etc, just dont give a ****.

Because let me tell you mate, women dont give a **** about the lads. All they are out to do is be someone who isnt the butt of everyones jokes. They are also after someone who stands up for themseleves. Someone who isnt afraid what they say in social situations. You may find at first that, even though they will be disrespecting you, and all the fittest girls are going off with the fittest lads( get over this mate, this just happens), that a lot of women( yes even fit ones) will start to like you

Now this doesnt mean behave like a complete **** around people, course it doesnt. But dont let your appearnce get you down. Just be yourself, and grow a set of *******s like i did and youll be fine. Stop letting your feelings get you down, your a man for god sake. Laugh about it. Laugh about how sad your feeling about yourself. That way, when you do go out, the put downs from the lads and birds wont mean ****, and youll eventually find someone who acutally likes you and, maybe doesnt want a relationship, but will **** you on the night

How do I know this works? Im a dirty Ginger mate, ugly as ****, and I dont give a ****! ANd believe me, it worked for me, pulled plenty of women at Uni, some of them fitties too

Good luck

Eric

"Ugly" is subjective. I'm horrible in photographs, but people say I'm reasonably good looking and attractive in real life. I've spent years being called "ugly", but people have stopped calling me that and I've stopped considering myself that tbh.

I'd say I look "normal" and "average", which is not necessarily the same as "ugly".

ReputationRep:
    Get pay or get girls drunk.

ReputationRep:
    hey people..!

what you guys and girls understand about the 'ugly' term actually?

does it mean that someone has big eyes?small eyes?big mouth?pimples?scar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addinshah15)
    hey people..!

what you guys and girls understand about the 'ugly' term actually?

does it mean that someone has big eyes?small eyes?big mouth?pimples?scar?
    Indian/pakistani/chinese(and the other countries next to it)=ugly.
    Africa=ugly
    West Europe=ugly
    East Europe = not ugly
    South america=somewhat ugly
    north america=somewhat ugly
    Australia=not ugly

ReputationRep:
    Don't care about what people think or say about your appearance, and most importantly don't call yourself ugly. There's nothing uglier than the thought of constant self pity. Everyone is beautiful to someone and the first someone should always be yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm... let's see:
    has low self-esteem (check)
    Thinks he is ugly (check)
    Afraid of what people think about him(check)
    Considering all the above symptoms , my guess is that you are suffering from Depression.
    If you have the following symptoms, get professional help immediately
    1) loss of weight or gain
    2) suicidal thoughts
    3) loss of interest in things that used to be fun e.g football, sex e.t.c
    4) plumetting grades
    5) feeling of wothlessness
    If you feel any of the above get help Now
    Do not suffer. Teen depression is common and there is help out there.
    GOOD LUCK!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wallflower*)
    People are rarely as ugly as they think they are.
    this

and psychological studies have shown that familiarity leads to attraction, hope thats of some comfort

ReputationRep:

I want to see whether you are ugly or not, just post a picture for god sakes, I won't judge, well I will, but not in a harsh way.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.