Turn on thread page Beta

I don't like girls but I don't think I'm gay either! watch

I have been sexually attracted to men for long time but I can't bring myself to come out as gay. It doesn't feel right. I thought for a while that I was attracted to girls... or that I could be if I tried hard enough... Now I'm 22. I'm still totally confused/ in denial. I feel as if my parents are giving me subliminal messages, like they can tell I'm confused :erm:

ReputationRep:
    It can be difficult to accept, but ultimately you have no choice in the matter - if you're attracted to guys, that's it. It's not the end of the world, honestly! Being gay has its advantages and don't be afraid of admitting who you are, ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have been sexually attracted to men for long time but I can't bring myself to come out as gay. It doesn't feel right. I thought for a while that I was attracted to girls... or that I could be if I tried hard enough... Now I'm 22. I'm still totally confused/ in denial. I feel as if my parents are giving me subliminal messages, like they can tell I'm confused :erm:
    You are Gay. Embrace it. There are millions out there like you. Mix with other gays, this will help you come to terms with it very quickly. If you have to force youself to like girls, or "think" your attracted to girls your not straight.

Perhaps you are just a slow starter. If you don't feel the time is right to come out as gay then don't. You'll know when it is right for you.

ReputationRep:
    You definitely sound like you are gay. Be proud of it! Think of Oscar Wilde, Patrick Wolf ( ) ... they probably don't make a difference to how you're feeling, but it just really shouldn't be something to be ashamed of :no:

I'm going out of my mind about this :frown:

ReputationRep:
    I think you just need to give it time.

(Original post by Blátönn)
    Enjoy the AIDS. :eek3:
    Just what I needed...

I feel like I want my parents to help me in some way but they're refusing to

ReputationRep:
    "I don't like girls but I don't think I'm gay either!"
    "I have been sexually attracted to men for long time"

does not compute.

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Come join our LGBT thread on TSR where you can talk to like minded people. It's full of guys on there who feel the same as you and us girls are out numbered! heh.
    Might help you come to terms with things, after all there are still people on there who haven't come out yet. Come talk to us when you feel ready, we don't bite! :hugs:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7#post20490577

ReputationRep:
    ure gay

ReputationRep:
    dude, give it time and i think homosexuality will soon begin to appear normal and acceptable to yourself

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'm gay.

I have been sexually attracted to men.
    sounds clear to me.
    at least you'll have good dress sense :dontknow:

This is sort of similar to my situation, I dont find girls physically attractive in the way most men do but could be in a romantic relationship with a girl. But i am physically attracted to men but the thought of being in a relationship with one turns my stomach
    Its so confusing and not normal, i cant sleep at night .:confused:

ReputationRep:
    For Anonymous 1 and 2 - life is confusing so whatever's confusing you now ..try (if possible) not to worry about it too much - 'cos once you've worried enough to sort it out, or drive yourself nuts, something else will come along.

Save your energy for something really important and make the most of every day and everyone you meet. What you both feel now will sort itself out in the end - and the people that matter to you will still be there.

No 1 - you think parents are giving hints and you'd like them to help - so it sounds like you are close enough to ask them for help, and there's no risk they won't understand or carry on loving you. If you are concerned they can't give you the advice you need, even although they'll accept whatever you tell them, find a counsellor or help line where you can discuss your concerns and get answers to questions your parents maybe can't answer. When you are more confident and have the answers you need, speak to your parents and you'll be able to re-assure them.

No 2 - you say you are physically attracted to guys but turned off by the idea of a relatonship and vice versa with girls. It seems to suggest you are scared because what you think a relationship with a guy will be considered "abnormal and unnaceptable" compared to how you see society considers "normal and acceptable" relationship.

Having a physical and emotional relatonship with a guy means you will be in a minority - but it's surprisingly normal and acceptable to more people than you might imagine. Having a sexual relationship with someone doesn't mean you have to immeidiately view them as a long term partner - but one day you will find someone that you will want to have an emotional relationship - a feeing strong enough to overcome any concerns about what anyone else thinks about you or your choice of partner. But don't go overboard in you search! Have fun along the way ..without contsantly having sex with different partners in the searching for the "right one", because it isn't the ideal way of finding one. Everyone has to compromise in a relationship - he may make mistakes and have faults - but you may also make mistakes and have faults - it's accepting each others imperfections because they are outweighed by what is positive that makes a long term relationship.

To No 1 and No 2 - it's your life and you deserve to be happy. It's easier if you are born to conform but if what makes you happy is not what other people think will make you happy, either they will accept it or you will find others who will.

You don't always have to confront anyone who can't understand your preferences. Some can accept you without understanding and without questioning. Be true to yourself and as open as you feel comfortable, without being hypocritical.

Finally - whatever you are confused or worried about now - in few year's time you'll look back and wonder why - and also realise that the friends you have always knew but never mentioned it because they didn't think it was necessary.

maybe u don't have to embrace it, there are these new places that turn u back straight again, and supposedly it works!! maybe at this stage, it u haven't embraced it, you can give that a go first!! just an option..

ReputationRep:
    maybe u don't have to embrace it, there are these new places that turn u back straight again, and supposedly it works!! maybe at this stage, it u haven't embraced it, you can give that a go first!! just an option..
    Stop talking absolute rubbish. Reparative therapy does not work and generally makes things worse.

ReputationRep:
    just keep all your gay to yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blátönn)
    Enjoy the AIDS. :eek3:
    lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 26, 2009
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.