Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Which are down to Earth, and which are known for being the opposite?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LJBzzz)
    Which are down to Earth, and which are known for being the opposite?
    Could you perhpas clarify your question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    Could you perhpas clarify your question?
    Can you not understand that? it is quite simple.

Which are known for having sociable and approachable students perhaps.

ReputationRep:
    Can you not understand that? it is quite simple.

Which are known for having sociable and approachable students perhaps.
    Perhaps you shouldn't patronise people of you want a response, and perhaps you shoudl give some background to your question... A level? Uni? Uk? Abroad?

ReputationRep:
    Im not patronising you, sorry if it appeared that way

I basically was just wondering which universities may have a more 'down to earth' view of life. I thought most people understood that term haha.

Im not sure really how to describe it better.

Perhaps a high state school intake, and low international ratio. I am not quite sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    Perhaps you shouldn't patronise people of you want a response, and perhaps you shoudl give some background to your question... A level? Uni? Uk? Abroad?
    Forgot to quite

ReputationRep:
    Im not patronising you, sorry if it appeared that way

I basically was just wondering which universities may have a more 'down to earth' view of life. I thought most people understood that term haha.

Im not sure really how to describe it better.

Perhaps a high state school intake, and low international ratio. I am not quite sure.
    I understand what you meant but can you not see from your OP that you left quite alot of ambiguity. IMO every university is a microcosm of society and as such you will find down to earth groups of people and ******** groups of people. Generally though, redbrick and ancient unis are possibly more likely to have snobs (but even thast it subject to a massive EXCEPT FOR...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    I understand what you meant but can you not see from your OP that you left quite alot of ambiguity. IMO every university is a microcosm of society and as such you will find down to earth groups of people and ******** groups of people. Generally though, redbrick and ancient unis are possibly more likely to have snobs (but even thast it subject to a massive EXCEPT FOR...)
    Ahh right I see. Its because im fairly working class (even though income wise we are not). I have a regional accent and have been to state school.

I was just wondering how people will differ at the universities I am considering going to through either firm, insurance or release/adjustment process.

These are:

Royal Holloway
    Kings College London
    Reading
    Exeter
    Nottingham
    Birmingham

I think it will vary quite alot. Birmingham will be very different to KCL for example.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh right I see. Its because im fairly working class (even though income wise we are not). I have a regional accent and have been to state school.

I was just wondering how people will differ at the universities I am considering going to through either firm, insurance or release/adjustment process.

These are:

Royal Holloway
    Kings College London
    Reading
    Exeter
    Nottingham
    Birmingham

I think it will vary quite alot. Birmingham will be very different to KCL for example.
    Well, you wouldn't fit in at Exeter because it's all full of rahs, KCL is chinese, same with Notts. I can't ifnd B'ham or Reading on the league tabels so that menas they don't matter, and RHUL is better left to itself.

Now, hopefully you can see how silly stereotyping like that is. If the place offers the degree you want to do, then, wherever you go you'll be hard pushed not to find people you'll get along with - who knows you may even find a posh person you'll come to like...

ReputationRep:
    All students are down to Earth thanks to our forceful friend, Gravity.

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    Well, you wouldn't fit in at Exeter because it's all full of rahs, KCL is chinese, same with Notts. I can't ifnd B'ham or Reading on the league tabels so that menas they don't matter, and RHUL is better left to itself.

Now, hopefully you can see how silly stereotyping like that is. If the place offers the degree you want to do, then, wherever you go you'll be hard pushed not to find people you'll get along with - who knows you may even find a posh person you'll come to like...
    Thanks your very helpful. Im glad you didnt help me with my personal statement.

what are rahs?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks your very helpful. Im glad you didnt help me with my personal statement.

what are rahs?
    You charmer you. :flutter:

Everyone from all over the country will be going to all of those educational establishments. There is no set type of student.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rah

EDIT: BTW when I look at a PS I can respond to something concrete in a helpful manner. When being asked what unis have what students, and have already said that there is no set type, and that response is ignored, one has to try different tacks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    You charmer you. :flutter:

Everyone from all over the country will be going to all of those educational establishments. There is no set type of student.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rah

EDIT: BTW when I look at a PS I can respond to something concrete in a helpful manner. When being asked what unis have what students, and have already said that there is no set type, and that response is ignored, one has to try different tacks.
    Thanks, I am

Yes you are very very right, if thats the way you would like to look at it. You have been so helpful that I will recommend some of my friends to use you as a helper next year.

Hmm, actually maybe ill ask someone less arrogant and sarcastic in future? You were never personally asked to answer my question, so in future, like with your PS's, if you have nothing construtive to say, do not bother

Students are a very dynamic group, who can change alot during university. However, they all come with an image. I was just trying to find out if any universities have a particular image from the students they accept, in general.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.