The Student Room Group

Can you say "I love you" to your parents?

Poll

Can you say "I love you" to your parents

I'm interested in knowing how many people are comfortable saying "I love you" to your parents.

I find it hard to say it back, and although I know that I do inside I can't bring myself to say it. This may sound strange. I've heard these words on phone calls, etc, and would respond with something like "you to", or simply "bye".

Is there a simple general answer as to why some people struggle to express feelings of love openly towards their parents? It must have something to do with childhood and growing up. I'd love to hear what other people think about this whole issue.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I say it when it needs to be said. Or I when feel intense emotion [which happens about once every 6 months].
Reply 2
What's wrong with saying I love you mum or I love you dad?

Just say it, they will really appreciate it. :smile:
I only say it to my mum, albeit rarely. Or when she's ill or upset or something.
Reply 4
I say it to them all the time! Because I do!
same as you OP.
Reply 6
Sure, why not. I love my parents, even if they can be ******* annoying, ESPECIALLY my mum, you wouldn't believe the **** she comes out with, but I <3 them and can't be angry at them for long.
I tell them all the time.
I say it quite often, they don't always say it back though.

:emo:
Reply 9
Bubbles*de*Milo
I tell them all the time.

i always tell your mum i love her too.
It'd be a lie, and i try not to lie.
Reply 11
I'm fine with saying it to my mum, but not my Stepdad.
He's been my stepdad for 10/11 years, for all intents and purposes and the amount of respect and love i have for him, he is pretty much a Father to me.
But i just cant say those 3 words easily to him.
Its too late for self analysis, but... i guess its something to do with him being a dickhead most of the time :wink:
i used to say it to them all the time when i was younger, like 5 times a day! now they still say it to me (dad more often than mum, dad like nearly everyday and mum maybe once a week) but i usually reply with 'mmm' or 'meh' or occassionally 'me too' dont really like saying it back, but im sure they know.
Bludclotzz
i always tell your mum i love her too.

:woo: :woo: :woo:

God Bless You, you funny bastard!
Reply 14
I could say it, but i'd feel uncomfortable because it's not something I've grown up saying. It might sound hard to believe and it's hard to fully understand why I spose.
Reply 15
I can but i'd rather not , hopefuly she just knows I does.
Nah, I can't say that anymore. I give hugs when affection is needed. :s-smilie:
I can't do it. Physically can't be done.
Yep. I always say it before I go to bed :smile:
SimpleStudent
I could say it, but i'd feel uncomfortable because it's not something I've grown up saying. It might sound hard to believe and it's hard to fully understand why I spose.

I'm the same way. I'm just not an affectionate person in general I don't think.

Latest

Trending

Trending