12.78%
    I'm male and I can only say it to my dad
    0%
    I'm female and I can only say it to my dad
    0.75%
    Other / Don't see my parents, etc.
    0.75%

ReputationRep:
    I can tell my mother, but not my father.

ReputationRep:
    never have in my entire life.

ReputationRep:
    Don't really need to. They're grown up and know how it works. I don't think they expect it from me, but they'd want to hear it from my siblings.

ReputationRep:
    All the time... my mum's always depressed and she's always saying horrible things to me... and my dads a bit violent... but I'm no good at holding a grudge. Despite this I manage to say it atleast once... especially before they go to bed or work... just incase something happened.

^ it's probably a bit weird... given the circumstances but hey ho... if I stopped now they'd probably be offended or something... not to mention that I do... so why stop.

If you never did it in the first place then I dont think you need to change anything... as long as they know it.

ReputationRep:
    We're just not really an "i love you" family... I know they love me and I hope they know I love them, we just dont say it. It'd be weird. Like what other people are saying, it'd just feel forced and unnatural.

ReputationRep:
    *!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bludclotzz)
    i always tell your mum i love her too.

She's going out with a ripped 6'4 Portuguese guy, so watch out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    She's going out with a ripped 6'4 Portuguese guy, so watch out.
    I could take him.

ReputationRep:
    Love is considered "a strong positive emotion of regard and affection".

I therefore think for me to say "I love you" it would have to have more significance than at the end of your average day. This is one possible reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimpleStudent)
    I could say it, but i'd feel uncomfortable because it's not something I've grown up saying. It might sound hard to believe and it's hard to fully understand why I spose.
    I'm the same way.

(Original post by ArtGoblin)
    Nah, I can't say that anymore. I give hugs when affection is needed.
    I wish i could give hugs, but my family's not like that; not a hugging/i love you family...

The last time I remember properly giving my mum a (two-way) hug... possibly my Dad's funeral.

I want to hug/say i love you to her; but I'm sure it would seem supremely odd to her, and she's start questioning if everything was alright with me etc.

ReputationRep:
    i do all the time so long as i'm not mad at them.

ReputationRep:
    Im one of those people that love people but cant express it to them often, like i keep it inside, which is no good right, but as long as the people in question know that you love them then its ok.

im making no sense am I? lol

ReputationRep:
    i can say "love you" to my mother...but to my father, no.

ReputationRep:
    if I said it to my dad it would be SO weird, say it to mum all the time though

ReputationRep:
    always, because they're like the most important people in the world to me
    maybe its just me not understanding or whatever but i'm in disbelief at some of the replies, people physically unable to say "i love you" to their parents? how can you not love your parents? don't get me wrong, my parents piss me off too, so much and they don't let me do things which make me feel left out in front of my friends but at the end of the day, they're my parents and i love them with all my heart, even though my dad has done such bad, bad things to us all in the past.

and i tell them i love you before i or they go out just in case something ever happens, i coudn't live with myself if my last words to them weren't "i love you"

ReputationRep:
    Nope hardly ever have to be honest i really can't just say it to them..
    Hope they no i do though...

ReputationRep:
    no way

ReputationRep:
    isnt i love you meant to be said to a gf or bf not parents?

ReputationRep:
    i say "love you" to them both easily. pretty much everyday to mum, and to dad when i see him or sometimes at the end of text or phone conversation :]

ReputationRep:
    I feel it but I can't say it. I don't think I've ever said it. I'm sure they know I do though.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.