I'm female and I can only say it to my dad
    0.75%
    Other / Don't see my parents, etc.
    0.75%

ReputationRep:
    I say it all the time, sometimes I get "what do you want?"

Which I think is friggin hilarious.....

ReputationRep:
    i don't think i ever have. but i hardly know my parents.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like lying to my parents.

ReputationRep:
    Blurrghh. Wish I could but I just can't, it doesn't feel natural. I hope they know I love them. I hug my mum sometimes if that counts?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I say it, we're not really the kind of family who tell each other we love each other and stuff. We all do love each other and we all know we love each other but I dunno, I suppose knowing is enough and we don't need to hear it. Suppose rather than saying it we show it through how we treat each other. I'm not really one to go around saying "I love you" or "awww" or anything like that, I generally find it hard to be open about feelings like that. We all know our feelings for each other by how we treat each other and help each other and at the end of the day I suppose that's all that matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimpleStudent)
    I'm interested in knowing how many people are comfortable saying "I love you" to your parents.

I find it hard to say it back, and although I know that I do inside I can't bring myself to say it. This may sound strange. I've heard these words on phone calls, etc, and would respond with something like "you to", or simply "bye".

Is there a simple general answer as to why some people struggle to express feelings of love openly towards their parents? It must have something to do with childhood and growing up. I'd love to hear what other people think about this whole issue.

Thanks
    I'm really uncomfortable saying I Love You to my parents infact i'v never said it to them. It isn't something i would mind saying but i think it has a lot to do with how ur brought up with expressing words like that with your parents..My parents have never really been open with expressing emotional words with me which is probably y i dont say it back coz im not used to it. I'm pretty sure if they did say I Love You to me i'd say it right back.

But it also depends on how expressive u r as a person, maybe ur just arent sum1 who likes to express ur emotions and thers nothing wrong with that..Everyone's different

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    Always.

ReputationRep:
    I've always hoped my children, especially when they are little would say 'I love you' to me - at night, after I told them a story I made up.

This thread makes me doubt this will ever happen...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack Sparrow)
    I can't do it. Physically can't be done.
    Same here. I'll regret it when it'll be too late.

ReputationRep:
    i don't know why but it's become very difficult to say. i used to say it all the time but now...it feels weird. which must be a bad thing. i do say it though. every now and then. i imagine it's not the words that matter so much as the times when they see that i need them.

ReputationRep:
    I say it quite often

ReputationRep:
    Can't say it, Never said it. But they know.

ReputationRep:
    I say it at least once everyday to both of them - mainly because I worry if something happened to them and I didn't say it I would feel bad incase the last thing they thought was that I didn't love them :P:

ReputationRep:
    I say it loads to my parents- several times a day infact!

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember ever having said it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QI Elf)
    I say it loads to my parents- several times a day infact!
    This. It would be weird if a day went by when I didn't say it. If my Mum is just going out to get something from the shop I'll probably say "love you" just as she's closing the door or something. It is probably a little superfluous now, but it is just something I've never had a problem with saying.

ReputationRep:
    I can't do it. It feels way too uncomfortable saying it.

ReputationRep:
    I say it to my mum, but only since my dad died

I recommend that you don't wait like I did!!

ReputationRep:
    i say it to my mum when it's needed. haven't said it to my dad in years. might give him a go when he drops me off at uni
    say it to my grandparents every time i see them though

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.