12.78%
    I'm male and I can only say it to my dad
    0%
    I'm female and I can only say it to my dad
    0.75%
    Other / Don't see my parents, etc.
    0.75%

ReputationRep:
    I had a problem with this. It's not so bad with my Mum now, she say's "I love you" at the end of phone calls and I say I quick "love you" back. I'm not good with the whole hugging thing either but it makes her happy so I do it haha.

Dad on the other hand, I love my Dad but can't say it haha he's a quiet man and I'm a shy one and it just never happens haha. I remeber saying "I love you" to him when I went to bed when I was little and I would crouch down and he would give me a kiss on the cheek. Haha crazy days.

ReputationRep:
    I say "love you" like if they're going away or soemthing :/ but if its on the phone i normally just say you too

ReputationRep:
    sometimes, but i always make sure i let them know i appreciate them being there for me, which i guess is the whole point of telling your parents you love them

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, at night, or if someone's going out somewhere. My 11 year old brother says it loads, like when he's really happy or if he thinks someone's mad at him, or when it's his go on the X-Box.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    She's going out with a ripped 6'4 Portuguese guy, so watch out.
    im ripped too and he's only 2 inches taller than me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily069)
    I say it to them all the time! Because I do!
    Same.

ReputationRep:
    i can never say i love you to anybody, once my gf said she loves me, i just acted like i never heard her, i try not to be emotional attached to anything

ReputationRep:
    I say it pretty much every day to my dad, I see my mam less frequently but i still make sure it goes at the end of phone calls or texts

I say it to my sister too, and a lot of my friends, there's a lotta love to go round!

ReputationRep:
    no, even on the phone its a straight bye, however when i was younger i would always hug them before going to sleep

ReputationRep:
    I tell my mum, rarely though

ReputationRep:
    No, I never say it but I know they know I love'em.

(Original post by SimpleStudent)
    I could say it, but i'd feel uncomfortable because it's not something I've grown up saying. It might sound hard to believe and it's hard to fully understand why I spose.
    Exactly the same
    It kinda makes me feel cringey, and I duno why I do love them...just can't express it in that way

ReputationRep:
    I say it when I feel like it, or they have done something for me, or they are feeling upset/ill.

ReputationRep:
    No, and they don't say it to me either. Swell.

ReputationRep:
    Rarely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Exactly the same
    It kinda makes me feel cringey, and I duno why I do love them...just can't express it in that way
    I know what you mean there. It's unusual to think it is too. Strange.

ReputationRep:
    I don't remember ever saying it, to either of them. My mum says it to me quite a bit and I normally respond with "Yeah, alright" or something. I do hug them a lot though, so I guess they know.
    I've never said it to any of my family, I don't think.

ReputationRep:
    Hm... interesting.
    I have never really thought about it, but I don't think I ever say it to my parents. I say 'thank you' to them though and no matter how annoyed I am or they are, I make sure I never say anything mean to/about them. They know I love them, I just can't/don't say it.

My sister, on the other hand, I say 'I love you' to her constantly - but can not bring myself to say 'thank you' or 'please' when she does things for me. It confuses and annoys her, we frequently have conversations that go thusly:
    *Sister walks in with sandwich for me*
    Me: I love you
    Her: Say thank you or you can't have it.
    Me: But... I love you.
    Her Say thank you then!
    Me: I... love you?
    etc.
    I really just can't say it to her.

Yes, I am strange.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.
    I do show affection though when needs to be.:p:

ReputationRep:
    I say it whenever. Like when your going to bed or whatever 'goodnight, love u', not that hard, especially as they seem to say it to you, giving you the obvious que...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.