12.78%
    I'm male and I can only say it to my dad
    0%
    I'm female and I can only say it to my dad
    0.75%
    Other / Don't see my parents, etc.
    0.75%

ReputationRep:
    No. I don't speak to my dad apart from to thank him for birthday/Christmas money and me and my mum don't have a very close relationship. I could probably say I'm grateful for them bringing me up until I was 10 but after that they just became awful and any love I had for them seemed to just vanish. I'd obviously be upset if something awful happened to them but I've tried to have a relationship with them and it's just never worked so I've just settled for things how they are.

ReputationRep:
    I hardly ever say it, my parents don't say it much either. They know I do, I know they do, don't need to say it all the time.

ReputationRep:
    I can say it to my dad with ease, often I'll just chirp "Love you dad!" and he'll reply "I knowww!"
    For some reason I feel a bit weird saying it to my mum, even though I do of course.

ReputationRep:
    I say it at least twice a day! Me and my family are all really close.

ReputationRep:
    I say it to my mum all the time, maybe like twice a day at least and she tells me all the time. It would be so weird if I didn't.

ReputationRep:
    I cant remember the last time I said it to either of them. But then again, I cant remember the last time they said it to me.

I like to think theres a mutual understanding that doesnt need to be voiced

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    I say it when it needs to be said. Or I when feel intense emotion [which happens about once every 6 months].
    Don't lie, you have no emotions. Other than hate. A lot of hate.

ReputationRep:
    As i've gotten older i find it really hard to say I Love You to either of my parents, not entirely sure why it is. Sometimes i don't actually feel part of the family and i have a negative relationship with my older sister so i generally avoid being close to her so thats prob why i don't feel close with them.

I can't say I love you to my parents at all, I'm not even sure if I do love them. They're just there.

ReputationRep:
    I say it but in a jokingly...slightly threatening way. But they know it's all love.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G50)
    Same here. I'll regret it when it'll be too late.
    I don't really mind if I never say. We all know it anywho.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes in conversation my parents will mention that they'd do absolutely anything for my sister, me and the other parent in a kind of "I reeeeeeally love you" way, but we don't really say "I love you" much offhand. I always say it though if I'm going away for more than 24 hours though, and if it's a really long time I always well up, particularly when hugging my sister :o:

I love my parents and sister too much.

ReputationRep:
    Recurring theme of guys not saying it. I'm glad, I thought I would have been one of the only ones who hadn't ever said it!

I don't think I'll ever be able to bring myself around to saying it

ReputationRep:
    No, my family has extreme difficulty in expressing their emotions.

(Original post by Mickie112)
    No, my family has extreme difficulty in expressing their emotions.
    Mine is exactly the same.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's uncomfortable. My mother never says it to me either, so it's all good.

ReputationRep:
    I really can't say it. Obviously I DO love them, but in a very different way to what I'd associate such a phrase with. I don't know, if my parents said it to me throughout when I was growing up then I'd probably be conditioned to say it back but it just feels forced. I always hate letting any kind of emotional guard down infront of the 'rents too. Can't say it to my friends very easily either, I guess I just save it for romantic purposes only :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i can say it but i only say when its appropriate and when im in the right mood

you should make a poll OP
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yeah, I say "love you" to my mom/nan. Rarely to my dad though.

Never "I love you" though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ourlastmemory)
    I really can't say it. Obviously I DO love them, but in a very different way to what I'd associate such a phrase with. I don't know, if my parents said it to me throughout when I was growing up then I'd probably be conditioned to say it back but it just feels forced. I always hate letting any kind of emotional guard down infront of the 'rents too. Can't say it to my friends very easily either, I guess I just save it for romantic purposes only :rolleyes:
    This muchly.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.