12.78%
    I'm male and I can only say it to my dad
    0%
    I'm female and I can only say it to my dad
    0.75%
    Other / Don't see my parents, etc.
    0.75%

ReputationRep:
    No. I don't speak to my dad apart from to thank him for birthday/Christmas money and me and my mum don't have a very close relationship. I could probably say I'm grateful for them bringing me up until I was 10 but after that they just became awful and any love I had for them seemed to just vanish. I'd obviously be upset if something awful happened to them but I've tried to have a relationship with them and it's just never worked so I've just settled for things how they are.

ReputationRep:
    I hardly ever say it, my parents don't say it much either. They know I do, I know they do, don't need to say it all the time.

ReputationRep:
    I can say it to my dad with ease, often I'll just chirp "Love you dad!" and he'll reply "I knowww!"
    For some reason I feel a bit weird saying it to my mum, even though I do of course.

ReputationRep:
    I say it at least twice a day! Me and my family are all really close.

ReputationRep:
    I say it to my mum all the time, maybe like twice a day at least and she tells me all the time. It would be so weird if I didn't.

ReputationRep:
    I cant remember the last time I said it to either of them. But then again, I cant remember the last time they said it to me.

I like to think theres a mutual understanding that doesnt need to be voiced

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    I say it when it needs to be said. Or I when feel intense emotion [which happens about once every 6 months].
    Don't lie, you have no emotions. Other than hate. A lot of hate.

ReputationRep:
    As i've gotten older i find it really hard to say I Love You to either of my parents, not entirely sure why it is. Sometimes i don't actually feel part of the family and i have a negative relationship with my older sister so i generally avoid being close to her so thats prob why i don't feel close with them.

I can't say I love you to my parents at all, I'm not even sure if I do love them. They're just there.

ReputationRep:
    I say it but in a jokingly...slightly threatening way. But they know it's all love.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G50)
    Same here. I'll regret it when it'll be too late.
    I don't really mind if I never say. We all know it anywho.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes in conversation my parents will mention that they'd do absolutely anything for my sister, me and the other parent in a kind of "I reeeeeeally love you" way, but we don't really say "I love you" much offhand. I always say it though if I'm going away for more than 24 hours though, and if it's a really long time I always well up, particularly when hugging my sister :o:

I love my parents and sister too much.

ReputationRep:
    Recurring theme of guys not saying it. I'm glad, I thought I would have been one of the only ones who hadn't ever said it!

I don't think I'll ever be able to bring myself around to saying it

ReputationRep:
    No, my family has extreme difficulty in expressing their emotions.

(Original post by Mickie112)
    No, my family has extreme difficulty in expressing their emotions.
    Mine is exactly the same.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's uncomfortable. My mother never says it to me either, so it's all good.

ReputationRep:
    I really can't say it. Obviously I DO love them, but in a very different way to what I'd associate such a phrase with. I don't know, if my parents said it to me throughout when I was growing up then I'd probably be conditioned to say it back but it just feels forced. I always hate letting any kind of emotional guard down infront of the 'rents too. Can't say it to my friends very easily either, I guess I just save it for romantic purposes only :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i can say it but i only say when its appropriate and when im in the right mood

you should make a poll OP
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yeah, I say "love you" to my mom/nan. Rarely to my dad though.

Never "I love you" though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ourlastmemory)
    I really can't say it. Obviously I DO love them, but in a very different way to what I'd associate such a phrase with. I don't know, if my parents said it to me throughout when I was growing up then I'd probably be conditioned to say it back but it just feels forced. I always hate letting any kind of emotional guard down infront of the 'rents too. Can't say it to my friends very easily either, I guess I just save it for romantic purposes only :rolleyes:
    This muchly.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.